Tumbledown76 wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:22 pm
It was a fantastic day with Colin. He arrived to a lot of grunt work. A good portion of it, I could have avoided. So several lessons I will head from now on. 1. only fix what is broken 2. if you hear a problem, pull over a lot fucken' sooner. I had a wheel bearing that fused to the spindle, on the highway, family in tow, didn't take long for trouble to ensue, but long enough. Thanks to him, I (mostly) had everything ready to go and we set ourselves to the task of filling two empty wheel wells. I can't begin to start on the technical, philosophical, hysterical conversations that took place through-out the day, but Colin kept us on task. It was a massive amount of work and cannot begin to express my thanks. I hope to have you come again next year, I'll look-out for the 2018 itinerary. We will have that beer(s).
Other tasks included: Valve adjustment, idle adjustment, branded with fresh IAC timing marks, properly double-clutching, and more and more. wow.
So Colin! An update. The following morning, I take the bus out. I feel the power loss you mentioned when taking it on the test-drive. Quick losses. I pull to the four intersection down the street, stop-sign. Bus dies...does not start back up. Push it to the liquor store (second time I have found myself broken down in that lot). The owner assures me I can keep it there as long as I need, as long as I come back to buy beer later "you're going to need it". At that moment a 89 Syncro pulls up next to me. Sees I am in trouble, but has no ideas. I talk to Jim, the mechanic across the street, and he says he'll look at it...within an hour and a half, he finds that the throttle body gasket has gotten sucked in. The part was on back-order, and showed no signs of a vacuum leak before (after running a smoke test), so I was forced to use the old one, when I re-assembled it. So he sealed it temporarily, I drove it home, cleaned it up and had the work done in under an hour. No more small power losses, no more bus not starting. The community helped on this one, although Jim charged me for his time.
And you will be glad to know that the bus now drives, straight. I called Wagenswest and he said to drive on some bumpy roads as well as have my wife and I jump up and down on the bumper. Amazingly, within 5-10 miles, I could let go of the steering wheel and it was driving straight. Still does! It feels really nice now. I'll still hold on to the old torsion arms, per your suggestion.
Adjusted my clutch pedal per your suggestion and hatred of mine. lol. It really was terrible, it's much better now.
As far as the grind sound we heard when we took a right in the parking lot, I adjusted the front right wheel bearing as suggested the following evening (and did not drive till I did the work). It took me a long time, but I was also trying to get a real feel for the process you took me through. Without referring to other right-ups, I tightened the nut till it just starts to catch the washer 1:1, then just let off, ever so slightly. I then took the screwdriver and at the 10 and 4 position, while continuously turning the wheel, with just enough of the tip of the screwdriver in to touch the washer, I turned it and got an easy movement, repeated again between 10 and 4 and ever so slightly tightening the washer, got to where the movement was 'moderate' but not 'hard' to do. I was amazed at how much room there is for those slight measurements between the time you back off the nut after the 1:1 grab to the point where you finally tighten the nut down with the hex key. I have extremely slight movement when rocking/pulling (with some good force applied) at the 12 and 6 o'clock position, as we set on the passenger's side. At one point I had finished, but the wheel was too stiff. Sure enough, the nut was just a bit too tight on the washer. Am I correct in this process? The grind sound is nearly gone. I does not happen as much, and it's much harder to hear. Happens only on a sharp right turn. Even then, it is not happening consistently. Hmmm...
I brought the bus to 'my Porsche buddy's' house today and we test drove it together. The sound only came up only once, driving through the neighborhoods of Harvard. We put the bus on his lift, he turned the wheel, trying to repro the issue, but we couldn't (perhaps can only happen if under load?). He wanted to check out the small oil leaks, so we tackled that next. On the lift, we cleaned the oil that was there and ran the bus. It appears that after about 10 minutes of running a small drop had formed on top of push rod tube #4 and #2. He thinks it's the cylinder head gaskets. Then again, sounds like this engine was abused before I got hold of it, and it could be 'tired'. I will monitor how much oil I am consuming. I need to run a compression test and oil pressure test, I assume. Also, the nut on the of the oil filler neck appears to be stripped. It wont tighten, and won't back out. I'll be dropping it the engine, no-doubt due to the leak in the heads. I should have done that work when I had the engine out and dug a bit deeper. Live and learn.
It's all new to me over the past year, and I can't thank you enough for the visit, the services rendered and the enjoyable conversations.
Hopefully again next year!