Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Well, Good Grief

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:03 am

Bleyseng wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:04 pm
Did you have it line bored?
Good Lord No. It is a brand new case. Have you ever align-bored a brand new case?

I should have it running in the bus by next weekend. Will break in the rings post-haste (seeing as it already has 60 minutes run-time, I am running out of time to seat the rings). If the engine does not vibrate or eat its camshaft gear (as evidenced in the strainer plate), then the only thing that has to plague me going forward are the exhaust valve seats . . . and a little crack (in the #4 was it?) in an exhaust valve guide boss. Good times. :pale:

Bus71 sent me two heads in the mail. One looks very useable, the other less so, but I will bring the useable one with me as back-up for some dusty power line trail emergency engine teardown.

We get to thank bloviating braggarts, who don't actually care about the work they perform as they happily take our money, for these totally avoidable obstacles against enjoying the intrinsic reliability of these once-great air-cooled road companions. No, I am only getting started, furthermore . . . . .
Colin

(but I did manage to successfully install a "LS 400" emblem on the right side of the trunk lid)

Deposits All In By April 30th!
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,230 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . .188,616 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 70,830 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,560 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
Old School!

Re: Well, Good Grief

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:29 am

The pic of that garage has shamed me into organizing my garage post-haste....
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...8 completely solid lifters.... now it's both kinda noisy and leaky, but she sure runs good!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Return to “2017 Itinerary”