Wcfvw69 is Bored . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Wcfvw69 is Bored . . .

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:08 am

Amskeptic wrote: I shall be doing some lighting tests with mercury vapor and halogen and incadescent.
Rear bumper looks excellent; Photos to come.

Still waitin for these pics of the repairs...... :scratch:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:51 am

Bleyseng wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I shall be doing some lighting tests with mercury vapor and halogen and incadescent.
Rear bumper looks excellent; Photos to come.

Still waitin for these pics of the repairs...... :scratch:
GAWD, you BORED people . . . .

Look closely at the two pictures here. ONE is under a flash and you can see that there is a bit too much white:

ONE

Yet, without a flash, you can see in TWO that the very same paint looks too darky orange:

TWO

Well, what the hell, right? How can anyone get it right if it just slippery slides out from under you? Below, it is too light next to the deck lid and almost too dark up at the top?

THREE

The reason is that the paint has too much white and not enough bright yellow. Had bright yellow been used, it would have bonded with the orange in the low light without upping the shade to too whitish in bright light!

Other than that, the panel looks nicely welded in, the paintwork is close to flawless except for a few runs on the inside, which I can fix later:

Good ol' NaranjaWesty, died in an intersection not eight miles from the last compliment ( wow, drives like a new car!) proffered by the boys at the autobody shop. Used the starter mercilessly! to get the car off the narrow two lane GA 369 into an antiques shop puddly parking lot. Would fire up but not idle. Finally got back to the throttle lever in time to keep it running, and began to guess what the problem was. Pulling on the TS 2 wire cleaned it right up. Found a replacement (the last replacement on Earth) TS 2 in the tool box in the back of the Lexus, and was about to install it when I noticed that the original one was pretty darn loose.
WHY WAS IT LOOSE AFTER FORTY YEARS?? I hear you ask.
BECAUSE I TOOK IT OUT TO CLEAN AND DI-ELECTRIC GREASE THE THREADS, thank-you very much.
Mustaforgetted to do the final tightening back in May 2016
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Robbie wrote:I couldn't do a pre-'68 bus on a cross-country tour after my jaunt in a hyper-comfy and ergonomically delicious bay window.
Hey, I'm not suggesting an Itinerant tour in an all-too-precious splitty, any more than doing one in the Squareback. The man needs some room to stretch and do yoga, dontchaknow.

But a tour in a diesel Vanagon would force him to slow down and smell the, well, diesel, instead of the insane pace that he sets for Chloe or the other two. I mean, 65 MPH, really? He could even mount a GoPro camera aimed out the front and record the whole adventure in real-time. Something like 4,342 hours of Slow TV would definitely set a new record. The Norwegians would go nuts for it. :geek:

Sorry, just having too much fun finishing off the Christmas grog here...
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:24 am

the Currywurst would be be an excellent candidate for a diesel tour since it is the lightest one (non westy) and is set up inside like BobD/Chloe.
The OG diesel transaxle is still in California too with SailorKH and I'm sure she would keep shifting into 3rd till you got there Colin!
Back in 82 the speed limit was 55 and that's about as fast as she goes, it would be like a time travel trip. :pirate:
I might even consider loaning her to the Maestro if he doesn't want to buy her just so I get it back better than it was!

Hmmmmm sounds like a great trip to watch on the forum!
Attachments
currywurst side.jpg
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:05 pm

weisswurst wrote:the Currywurst would be be an excellent candidate for a diesel tour since it is the lightest one (non westy) and is set up inside like BobD/Chloe.

Back in 82 the speed limit was 55 and that's about as fast as she goes, it would be like a time travel trip. :pirate:
I might even consider loaning her to the Maestro if he doesn't want to buy her just so I get it back better than it was!
Wow, I can't imagine how much "better" that jewel could get. She appears to be the same Bamboo Yellow colour as my Westy, but much better preserved.
At the risk of marital dissolution, I may just have to buy it out from under Colin when/if he gets it to Livermore...

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:40 pm

SlowLane wrote:
weisswurst wrote:the Currywurst would be be an excellent candidate for a diesel tour since it is the lightest one (non westy) and is set up inside like BobD/Chloe.

Wow, I can't imagine how much "better" that jewel could get. She appears to be the same Bamboo Yellow colour as my Westy, but much better preserved.
At the risk of marital dissolution, I may just have to buy it out from under Colin when/if he gets it to Livermore...

It is a re-spray of a mustard/curry yellow color over the factory cream (not done by me) far from perfect but it's not a too a terrible paint job and it has some life left in the paint. Now the interior, that is pretty! redone with the correct brown on brown"leather-ette" and carpet and not a rip or tear in either or in sight! It has always been Colin's favorite! Colin come get front passenger brake drum calipers "unstuck" from sitting and take this baby for a trip!
I just found a 1980 diesel 300TD estate wagon (the TD stands for "touring diesel" so it's NA injected like my VWs).
I have always wanted to have one of those so I am going to look at it this week! :cyclopsani:
Hey SlowLane I will be in Anaheim next week for a tradeshow is that anywhere near you?

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:42 pm

weisswurst wrote: It is a re-spray of a mustard/curry yellow color over the factory cream (not done by me) far from perfect but it's not a too a terrible paint job and it has some life left in the paint. Now the interior, that is pretty! redone with the correct brown on brown"leather-ette" and carpet and not a rip or tear in either or in sight! It has always been Colin's favorite! Colin come get front passenger brake drum calipers "unstuck" from sitting and take this baby for a trip!
Wait, it has front drum brakes? Wow, good thing it won't go faster than 55. Sure does look good in the picture, though.
I just found a 1980 diesel 300TD estate wagon (the TD stands for "touring diesel" so it's NA injected like my VWs).
I have always wanted to have one of those so I am going to look at it this week! :cyclopsani:
A Mercedes TD300? Possibly the only car actually slower that a diesel Vanagon! Oh, except the Unimog. :blackeye:
Hey SlowLane I will be in Anehiem next week for a tradeshow is that anywhere near you?
Nope, 'fraid not. Livermore is about 50 miles east of San Francisco. Bit of a drive from Anaheim.

- Terry Pratchett

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:59 pm

SlowLane wrote: A Mercedes TD300? Possibly the only car actually slower that a diesel Vanagon! Oh, except the Unimog. :blackeye:
Yes I know =D>
I really like slow charming vehicles for running chores or just going for the leisurely drive! :flower:
We put a 1.9turbo in one of the vanatrucks and I never upgraded the tranny so it still goes best at 55!
(Ithink I have a problem with speed in my hobby cars) :pirate:

Can't wait to see the estate wagon!!!! :cyclopsani:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:59 am

asiab3 wrote:I couldn't do a pre-'68 bus on a cross-country tour after my jaunt in a hyper-comfy and ergonomically delicious bay window. Of course, the Vanagon is even more to my liking in that department, but they don't respond as lovingly to little roadside projects that I think Colin would miss too dearly.

That being said, a few friends on mine are replacing their left head gasket in the Alaskan snow right now. I'm sure Colin would love those working conditions… :pirate:
Robbie

I think the Bay hits the sweet spot for acceptable road manners, simplicity, ruggedness, and that reflection of quality that adds to the essential dignity of the day. A diesel Vanagon would be a close second, and help keep me on a short leash as far as behaving myself. That beautiful flat-six Oettinger Vanagon once sold in South Africa, for example . . . . would inspire me to be a maniac:

tommu
Old School!

Post by tommu » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:31 pm

You are always welcome to take the Ghia for a tour Colin. An exercise in minimalism.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:02 pm

tommu wrote:You are always welcome to take the Ghia for a tour Colin. An exercise in minimalism.
An exercise in six wheel drifts with a trailer, try.
(check out Nurburgring 1970 You Tube videos)
Colin :blackeye:

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:43 pm

So...where are you posting these vanatrucks?

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:42 pm

cegammel wrote:So...where are you posting these vanatrucks?
Hi cegammel, I haven't posted them yet but I think I am ready to let them go.
Typically I'm not a "seller" of vehicles as I usually keep what I buy but really thinking of going a different diesel direction.
If you want any pics sent PM me an email and I will send you some!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 am

weisswurst wrote:thinking of going a different diesel direction.
Speak of it.
Colin :bounce:

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:11 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
weisswurst wrote:thinking of going a different diesel direction.
Speak of it.
Colin :bounce:
We don't need any more Sprinters on here! :pirate:

(Where are ya, Glasseye?)
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.