Itinerant Air-Cooled Traverses Nevada

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Traverses Nevada

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:33 pm

Long ago did I take leave of vwdreamBayb and her poor brakeless Hans to just hit the road up I-15 to Las Vegas to visit with ScottLasVegas. I remember, I remember the heat. I remember that exhilarating current of red and white lights snaking through the Cajon Pass and watching the jeweled night lights recede past mountain silhouettes, and I remember the terrible smell of burnt as I drove through the recent Blue Cut Fire that had darkened my morning photographs taken August 18th in Button Willow north of Los Angeles. It is a fast climb from sea level to 4,190 feet. NaranjaWesty pulled the entire climb in 4th gear with a maximum head temp reading of 428*.

Camped at my old mistake back in 2005 or whenever where I thought it was a "road" but it was actually an off-road playground where the Road Warrior threw on an oil pressure light on some impossible dip sideways. I was careful this time to find a nice level spot. The stars were so welcome. The silence was so welcome. The interstate truck lights gliding in the warm evening were the lovely gilt of my campsite threshhold to the desert, the place I look forward to visiting every summer. Well guess what? It was a nice level spot, because in the dark, I had parked in the middle of a new quarry road. A 6:00AM truck horn told me so in no uncertain terms, a double trailer truck driving crisply with four of his buddies behind him, and I was enveloped in clouds of silt and blasted with the sounds of empty trailers rattling over the bumpy rocks. Yeah, good morning to you.

It was a hot traverse to Barstow. Head temps were consistently high, and I no longer cared to chase adjustments around in circles. "I shall check the valves by and by." Came across a road that would have served well as my secret advantage if playing "Alphabet" with Cindy's daughter who kicked my butt when she spied Zelionople PA back in 2005. I would have started the game in Hesperia or thereabouts and we would have plowed through the alphabet and I would have waited for Exit 239 . . .
Zzyzz Road! I win! (finally):

At a temperature check, I came across this repulsive scene, all must have been full of dirty oil, all kicked over and drained. "Chevron" labels. Some Californians must have a deep and abiding hatred of that state's efforts to lead the way in environmental stewardship:

The big hill before Baker, didn't lift off the accelerator, either:

Didn't lift off the accelerator none here neither:

Chatted with the new owner of this 1965 Lincoln. Bought it in North Dakota. Asked him if he was going to lower it and stick on huge 22" chrome wheels. He looked like he might enjoy chrome. "Nope! I like 'em stock!"

Shy of Baker, I took a little dirt road for a while:

This is the descent into Baker. That hill in the distance, that is the famous 16 mile ascent to the Halloran Summit:

How hot was it? It was THIS hot:

Pretty punk coolish temps for desert denizens, perhaps, but for a 4,150 lb Westfalia with orange plaid, I say it was just right. The hill climb kept the revs down and my max head temps were:

.. .. .. at:

.. .. .. and the gorgeousness of the view just past the summit was my first evidence that moisture was becoming more known to the vegetation as I headed east:

Like my new desert hideaway? Found this off some exit before the Nevada border. It had shade and a cooling breeze, and an unexpected view for my 5,800 mile (slightly late) oil change:

Big valley traverse before the last hill climb (Mountain Summit?):

Who needs a runaway truck ramp when you have a poptop air brake?

It was a 10 mile 6% descent, however. The potential energy of a fully loaded truck dropping 2,000 feet has got to be pretty big . . . much . . . heat, brakes, kinetic energy converters, anyways, I never used my brakes. An amazing panorama:

Came across an other-worldy look at a different sort of energy conversion:

That's not water, those are millions of little mirrors:

Ran out of time! Day Two of jtauxe is rushing up. Will fill in later.
Colin
(hey Scott! Jump in here!)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Traverses Nevada

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:05 am

Ya know, I'm kinda missing the fuel filter clean outs.. The updates are becoming boring!

:blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:52 am

:thumbright: Keep on, keeping on Colin! Are you still coming for a visit? :salute:
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:44 am

Yeah! Time to polish the backsides of the cambearings on the side of a beautiful mountain lake!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:04 pm

Actually, the road name is ZZYZX

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzyzx,_California

Drove through Baker, CA on July 22nd this year, The temp just outside of Baker was 122 deg . Stopped and got gas in Baker, just because. It was 118 deg at the station. I didn't stick around for very long. Too hot for me, even without humidity.

Satchmo
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:33 pm

Colin arrived promptly at 9 am on our appointed day, and he was immediately let down. We are a non coffee drinking family, so Colin started hitting the diet cokes early.

I haven't had my bus for long (2 years), and had been relying on mechanics here in Vegas whenever things needed done. I wanted to start equipping myself with some knowledge to be more self sufficient with diagnosing and fixing MY bus on MY own. Luckily, Colin was able to squeeze me in between Cali and New Mexico to help me begin this journey with some hands on experience.

He first explained the mechanics of how my engine worked. Yes, I am that green. This was the lead up to Colin teaching me how to adjust the valves, and time the engine. He noticed a few things that needed to be done along the way (backwards Oil Cooler bracket that had been sawing into the frame rail), and we were finally ready to time the engine. CLICK. CLICK. NOTHING. This would be a good time to mention that the PO(s) apparently fancied themselves quite the electrician because there are wires everywhere. Cleaned up the the connections to the battery, and she fired up. We got her timed (tougher than you might imagine with a Hall Effect), and he explained the AFM and Oxygen Sensor. He got this where he liked it, and we were ready for a test drive.

The test drive was a short one. Colin did not like the clunk he heard going into Reverse. We soldiered on, and he also was not digging how she shifted into any gear. Back to the house. I have constantly battled the way the bus shifted. It has never felt right, but i had nothing to compare it to. Colin confirmed what i long suspected, we decided to replace the clutch cable, but the cable had other ideas.

We also figured out that the bottom two trans to engine bolts were barely on there, so that needed to be tended to as well. We were finally ready for test drive number two. This went much better... Then we noticed the white smoke. I didn't get the valve cover gaskets seated up well, so nothing major, and glad to say i went out the next day and fixed them up. Not a drop of oil on the ground beneath her since.

We cleaned up, grab a slice or two of pizza, and Colin gave me an electrical tutorial from the Bentley as we ate. Colin left me with a few tasks that needed to be moved higher up the priority list, and away he went.

Overall, such a great day and experience. She drives like a different bus entirely. How Colin does this day in day out while mixing in thousands of miles in the saddle is amazing. I was whooped the next day.
79 Riviera CA FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:18 pm

THANK-YOU, Scott,

I had forgotten some essential details of our day, and that clutch cable refresh was a big one.
The engine bolts were loose as a result of recent "professional" work on the clutch, and that gap along the bottom of the bell housing and engine can only cause horrendous wear on the input shaft and it would annoy the pilot bearing, too.

Are you going to contact the shop? It would be good to keep a record of communications.

It was excellent to meet you and yaaaak it up in the shade of the garage door. I was grateful to mentor in a new member of the tribe. Take care of that VW, it is a good one.
Colin

(p.s. remember this? . . . )

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:58 am

No coffee...risky business there.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:02 am

Jivermo wrote:No coffee...risky business there.
That can exploded upon opening. Tore a fracture line that would have done a Haviland Comet proud. Cut me, too. Sprayed a geyser of foam. THIS on top of that twelve-pack of Diet Coke that tried to kill me on CA-299. I live an exceedingly daring and risky life.
CokeCommando

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:59 am

Another Diet Coke incident??!!
I too have scars on me from years of diet coke drinking too (probably on the inside too). :cyclopsani:
The cans have been getting thinner and lower quality over the years.
The story about the 12pack opening made me laugh for a long time grinning at my computer like an idiot. :geek:
One of the best worded write ups I've ever read since I found this forum.
Come back to Florida soon Colin your turkeys miss you and we had 3 litters of baby pigs this month! :pirate:
Jeff
IMG_0399.jpg
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:27 am

Great! Fresh ham sandwiches!

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:34 am

satchmo wrote:Actually, the road name is ZZYZX

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzyzx,_California

Drove through Baker, CA on July 22nd this year, The temp just outside of Baker was 122 deg . Stopped and got gas in Baker, just because. It was 118 deg at the station. I didn't stick around for very long. Too hot for me, even without humidity.

Satchmo
...that is beautiful country...passed real near Zzyzx last March while driving the Kelbaker road through Mojave Nat. Preserve en route from Death Valley to J-Tree. March was pleasant...maybe in the low 90's? The scenery, with cacti in full bloom, was something I'll remember for a long time.
miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

ScottLasVegas
I'm New!

Post by ScottLasVegas » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:09 am

I had forgotten about the exploding Diet Coke, that soda had some fury behind it. Let me know when you want to start the social media campaign, #alldietcokesmatter.

Yes, I am going to have a talk with the shop. I have all my receipts together so I have some documentation of what they have done, just need to find the time to go over there. I want the conversation to be face to face, not over the phone.

On a brighter note, the weather is finally cooling down a bit here in Vegas, so I have been driving her pretty much daily.
79 Riviera CA FI

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:25 am

Lordy, do I miss those dry heat vistas. I never thought I would say that, either…

Pray tell us what the second defroster switch on the dashboard is for? And speaking of dashboards, how in the heck do you get it so clean? I've hit mine with Black Magic, Back-to-Black, Aerospace-WhateverYouUsedOnTheBobD, and I'm tempted to try GumOut next.

Where did all my oil go?

Robbie3200MilesWithoutCheckingOops
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:39 am

Colin - was that mess you came across off Zzyzx road in San Bernardino County? I'd like to send Used Oil the location so they can have the county LEA take a look and hopefully clean it up before a heavy rain spreads it further. Can you give me general directions to the oil spill and used containers?
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench