IAC in Minnesota Day 1 | Winter is coming

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Darbronnoco
I'm New!

IAC in Minnesota Day 1 | Winter is coming

Post by Darbronnoco » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:29 am

**No Itinerant Mechanics were harmed in creation of this post...
I got to be the first this year to welcome Colin to the great white north. Luckily for Colin God was in a good mood today and decided to give us a beautiful sunshine filled day. I had just purchased my bus Bob (big orange bus, later to be renamed to Boob Big Old Orange Bus since I found out he identified as a woman like most cars). I bought the bus out in Colorado and after talking with my mechanic cousin who conveniently lived a few miles away from the bus was convinced to just fly out and drive it home. My buddy and I packed our bags with tools to prepare for the worse and hopped on a plane. The rest of that journey can be seen here in a short movie trailer style format.

https://youtu.be/55ajMT6stQU

Anyways, Colin and I got to work after the usual round of coffee and politics. We had a little help from the puss (she likes the bus's coloring scheme.

We dived right into my valve adjustments, where Colin quickly discovered the case of my oil leaks. My valve cover gasket had shrunk to a point we were both scratching our heads :scratch: on how any oil at all was left in the car, especially after driving it across the country the year before! I'm sure Colin will share some photos of this near disaster causing gasket.

The other thing that came up is... I need to clean the damn car! like pronto. Colin gently err rather not so gently reminded me not to get any of that shit in my engine. "Don't you dare get any of that filth on that new gasket!" :compress:

After completing all the basics checks and moving onto repairing some vacuum line we reran the full line from the tank all the way back. The previous owners mechanic decided it was a great idea to have the fuel filter sitting on the exhaust manifold. What could possibly go wrong? :angryfire: Colin came up with a new procedure for removing the old fuel line off a tank full of gas that involves cutting off your fenders. Luckily for me I had already cut min off in preparation for some body work. I'm sure Colin will more to share about this new procedure.

At the end of the evening we decided to take my camper out for a test drive. Boob had her top off to get painted and a new canvas tank top so we got to ride convertible mode! I really appreciate the time and dedication Colin puts into his work and I think these visits will be one of the best investments I make in the bus and for myself. Thanks Colin for your time, patience and commentary, I look forward to seeing you again soon.
1974 Westfalia Bus. Her name is Boob (Big Old Orange Bus)

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: IAC in Minnesota Day 1 | Winter is coming

Post by asiab3 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:48 am

Ha! Excellent video! I've never tried those iMovie presets, but now I might have to give it a whirl.

Thanks for joining the forums here, and congrats on a most excellent first post! Enjoy your bus, especially in convertible-mode for what remains of summer :)

Robbie

PS- your middle photo isn't showing up for me; perhaps check the link?
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Darbronnoco
I'm New!

Post by Darbronnoco » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:45 am

asiab3 wrote:PS- your middle photo isn't showing up for me; perhaps check the link?
Thanks for the kind words :) I think I fixed the URL. You should see beautiful fender-less bus.

Unrelated, Colin I figured out the missing link in our discussion about Hilary's email and about at least one side of the conversation being recorded. It dawned to me that both Hillary and certain people had accounts on this personal server hence containing both sides of said secret yoga positions.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:06 am

Very cool video! I just wish I could figure away to download copyrighted music onto the video that doesn't get blocked by Facebook or youtube..

Good luck with your continued restoration.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Darbronnoco
I'm New!

Post by Darbronnoco » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:08 am

wcfvw69 wrote:Very cool video! I just wish I could figure away to download copyrighted music onto the video that doesn't get blocked by Facebook or youtube..
Thanks for the kind words. I think you can have copyrighted music but you can't have the video set to make you money. I think I had one video in the past that was that way. been awhile though.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:14 pm

Darbronnoco wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:Very cool video! I just wish I could figure away to download copyrighted music onto the video that doesn't get blocked by Facebook or youtube..
Thanks for the kind words. I think you can have copyrighted music but you can't have the video set to make you money. I think I had one video in the past that was that way. been awhile though.
I have photographs, primarily of the cat, such a pretty kitty, but have no time right now. On my way to another appointment, but the 27th is looking favorable for some catch-up.

Closed servers use public lines for access. Are there not public switch points that can capture data streams, like the NSA does in Bluff Utah?

The fuel line replacement made me happy. I was soooooo not looking forward to a face full of gas. Got that photograph, too.
ColinRunColinRun
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles