IAC in MN Day 2: Amskeptic visits the miz

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

the miz
Addicted!

IAC in MN Day 2: Amskeptic visits the miz

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:25 pm

I had my long awaited appointment with Colin yesterday and wanted to make a post about it before I get too busy or forgetful!
Unfortunately, we were so busy, that I did not stop to take many pictures...all I have a re bookends from the day. Also...for the most part, we were working by ourselves...with no photographers to document...Colin may have a photo or two to add...we'll see!

So, it was a lovely sunny, cool and slightly breezy MN morning as Naranja pulled into my driveway:

We quickly moved inside to discuss the day's hit-list over coffee...I now have some fun new sketches to add to the Amskeptic file I keep slammed in my Bentley...come to think of it...that might be a good place to store the Vana related hand-drawn Father's Day card from my eldest son too (what do you think, Colin?)

It was time to get down to brass-tacks...we need to get Vana running well, so that she can "give back" a little and provide some heartache-free camping fun this summer...we've got a trip planned in the near future!
The items du jour were:
-Colin needs to give this engine the once over...and give it his blessing
-we need to eradicate 1-2 side oil leaks dripping onto exhaust headers that cause oil smoke to blow through the air vents in the cab
-the alternator issue...what's the deal?
-brakes...we need to adjust the brakes properly after last year's visit
-fuel pump safety switch...I need one of these...let's come up with ideas.

To the garage...where we would begin with valve adjustment. Although I have adjusted valves many times...I was skeptical about my abilities, since it was a valve adjustment that seemed to precipitate 6+ months of engine woes...so I wanted Colin there to check my work.
I got started on 3 and 4 while Colin pulled the regulator from my alternator to see if that might be the culprit...the regulator checked out OK.
When we moved to the 1-2 side of the engine, Colin wanted to adjust one of the valves just to confirm some of the forensics that I had come up with thus far. We decided we could make some forensic inferences...as we knew that Adrian adjusts valves 1 turn past 0 lash. While underneath Colin noted that it was not just the valve cover on 1-2 that was leaking oil, but the push rod tubes as well...these would need to be dealt with.
Also, it turns out that I had been missing a pretty important step in my valve cover gasket installs: grease. My typical protocol was to install the new gasket in the cover with Indian Head Shellac...allow to dry and install...with bare cork on the head...it worked pretty well in the past...I found out that "dry" gaskets are likely to leak...and that this can be solved with a healthy coating of grease...who knew??? ...not me...

It was about at this point in the day when a random(?) spectator pulled up on his motor cycle to see what we were doing. Almost no one randomly ends up in my driveway...it is at the very end of a dead-end cul de sac...more than 1/4 mi off the main road...typically people notice they're not going to get anywhere on my street earlier and turn around. Oh well...this gent may just have been enjoying a mid morning cruise on his motorcycle and we piqued his curiosity...? Turns out he was not so random...he was looking for Colin...he had some technical questions to ask on behalf of his son, the owner of a barn-find '81 Westy, he might have been angling for Colin to add an appointment to the itinierary on his way to Iowa too. Later, Colin and I would discuss this "random encounter"...how did he know Colin would be there???...how did he know where to find us??? :scratch: ...weird...maybe, actually, a bit disturbing...

...all the while, I had been disassembling the #1 rocker arms and pulling the push rods from the tubes...Colin set in for tube removal and was shocked at the cheesiness of the new tubes on my engine....they have the structural integrity of an empty beer can. Fret not, I told Colin, I saved my old push rod tubes...we'll use them as replacements. Once the old tubes were out...Colin was again shocked at the sheer quantity of silver silicone sealant that had been slopped all over the push rod tube bores. We installed the new/old push rod tubes, got the rocker arms reinstalled and the valves adjusted. In the meanwhile our visitor left...so now it was time to fire up the engine...try some fine tuning and then head off for a test ride to see if our oil leak fixes had worked.
With the engine running Colin quickly tinkered with my carb and quickly improved cold starting (not enough choke) as well as cold and warm idle...then we were off..with Colin behind the wheel.
Yeesh, Colin exclaimed, these brakes are horrible! I let you drive to Colorado on brakes like these?
Yeah, I said, in your defense, we couldn't test our work last year, as there was no engine in the vehicle at the time...you thought they'd self adjust...I guess they didn't.
We agreed this was a priority and we'd start on it as soon as we returned form the test drive. The test drive was uneventful, I think we were both pretty happy with the way the engine was now running and how Vana was performing...yeah...there could be some further tinkering done with the carb...but maybe in the off season.
We returned from the test drive to find dry valve covers and just the slightest drips on the #1 push rod tubes. While I was removing the left rear wheel, Colin re seated the push rod tubes, certain that this would now eliminate the leak, lack of serpentine springs notwithstanding.
We moved onto brakes, removing the right drum to find the cheesy, bent self adjusting lever trying to actuate the manual adjustment wheel and not the self adjustment wheel...(insert rant about poor quality of currently available replacement parts here: ). After about an hour of tinkering and cold setting we were satisfied with the action of the self adjusters, reassembled the drum...allowed the shoes to adjust themselves and then gave a light bleed, just for fun, before moving onto the right side. The right side had clearly done no braking whatsoever in the past 2k mi., and the self adjustment lever, although in good condition, was not contacting anything that would have allowed it to work. The left side involved considerably less tinkering and in no time we're allowing the shoes to self adjust and giving a light bleed.
In the meanwhile, BellePlaine stopped in to say hi on the way to the Phish show in St. Paul...and to check on our progress.
So ...it was time to put the wheels back on and head out for another test drive:
Eureka! Brakes! ...even the parking brake was working again! We drove around for a bit, both still generally pleased at the current situation before heading back to the garage...where we discovered no push rod tube oil leaks!
Success...this called for a bit of a celebration:

...sure, there's still work to be done...like replacing the alternator and getting that fuel pump safety switch hooked up and monitoring to see if there is an oil leak on the main seal...but we had done enough for one day...and it seems that what we had done should get us by, in fine style, for at least another year.

Thanks Colin!

miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: IAC in MN Day 2: Amskeptic visits the miz

Post by wcfvw69 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Nice visit report Miz. I enjoy them as I always learn something new from them. I wish everyone who gets visits from Colin would post something as it's fun to read along and see the improvements made to their dubs!

P.S., I agree with your assessment of the "Colin Stalker" just showing up unannounced. It reminded me of that line from the movie "it puts the lotion on it's skin".. lol
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

EskimoTom
I'm New!

Post by EskimoTom » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Thanks for the post & update! Soon I will switch from counting down the days to my 1st Colin visit, to counting down the hours. Suggestions anyone on what Colin likes for lunch and what weight oil to I have on hand to put into my 1600 DP?
1971 Camper. Sportmobile. "Rusty"

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:27 pm

wcfvw69 wrote:Nice visit report Miz. I enjoy them as I always learn something new from them. I wish everyone who gets visits from Colin would post something as it's fun to read along and see the improvements made to their dubs!

P.S., I agree with your assessment of the "Colin Stalker" just showing up unannounced. It reminded me of that line from the movie "it puts the lotion on it's skin".. lol
Thanks... I think it's important to track Colin's progress and to report what was done...no matter how seemingly insignificant...you never know what tidbit will help others, right? I still can't figure how that guy found us....
Miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:33 pm

EskimoTom wrote:Thanks for the post & update! Soon I will switch from counting down the days to my 1st Colin visit, to counting down the hours. Suggestions anyone on what Colin likes for lunch and what weight oil to I have on hand to put into my 1600 DP?
No worries Tom! Colin is not picky on lunch... I pre made ham sandwiches at 6 am for us to eat...it's tough to tear away from the work...and Colin can survive on only Cigs and Coffee, but some food is good every so often...I'd recommend something ready to eat in the garage...when you're ready! Gee...I don't know about oil for your engine...all I know is type iv and water boxers like 20w 50...

...looking forward to your post!
Miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:20 pm

the miz wrote: No worries Tom! Colin is not picky on lunch...
Miz
The Mechanic prefers a Chilled Alaskan King Crab with a butter/lemon marinate and a nice Riesling.
Please inform the kitchen staff to be quiet during The Mechanic's afternoon repose (12:15PM to 4:30PM).
House members are NOT to address The Mechanic unless so invited by The Mechanic.
Do NOT prattle at The Mechanic as this makes The Mechanic quite cross.
Lay out the monogrammed House Linens in the following order:
hand cloth, face towel, hand cloth, hand cloth, face towel
The expected parting gift is, as always, The Glenlivet Winchester Collection’s Vintage 1964 Whiskey.
Do not ask for a taste.

Thanking-you for your strict adherence and prompt attention,
Forwarding Preparation Deputy Administrative Assistant
Mobile Support Staff
Appointment Office of The Mechanic
Itinerant Air-Cooled
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:26 pm

the miz wrote:I still can't figure how that guy found us....
Miz
Inquiry sent early this morning,
Hello ******
Was that your dad? who stopped by yesterday at my appointment in Eagan?
Please let me know how he landed the exact street address. I thought he was my customer's neighbor, but my customer said he wasn't. I have to audit my customer info/data security. I must track down and take responsibility for this.
yielded the following:
That was my dad. I meet your client at vw show a few weeks ago. He told me you were coming to help him. I asked him were he lived. When he told me I said you live right by my dad.
Colin :flower:

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:43 am

Amskeptic wrote:
the miz wrote: No worries Tom! Colin is not picky on lunch...
Miz
The Mechanic prefers a Chilled Alaskan King Crab with a butter/lemon marinate and a nice Riesling.
Please inform the kitchen staff to be quiet during The Mechanic's afternoon repose (12:15PM to 4:30PM).
House members are NOT to address The Mechanic unless so invited by The Mechanic.
Do NOT prattle at The Mechanic as this makes The Mechanic quite cross.
Lay out the monogrammed House Linens in the following order:
hand cloth, face towel, hand cloth, hand cloth, face towel
The expected parting gift is, as always, The Glenlivet Winchester Collection’s Vintage 1964 Whiskey.
Do not ask for a taste.

Thanking-you for your strict adherence and prompt attention,
Forwarding Preparation Deputy Administrative Assistant
Mobile Support Staff
Appointment Office of The Mechanic
Itinerant Air-Cooled
I'll interrupt this for the readers. What Colin is saying is hot dogs and chips are fine. Important note... Make sure you SHAKE the mustard thoroughly to prevent Colin applying it and getting that watery, not shaken mess on his dog. :compress:
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:48 am

Amskeptic wrote:
the miz wrote:I still can't figure how that guy found us....
Miz
Inquiry sent early this morning,
Hello ******
Was that your dad? who stopped by yesterday at my appointment in Eagan?
Please let me know how he landed the exact street address. I thought he was my customer's neighbor, but my customer said he wasn't. I have to audit my customer info/data security. I must track down and take responsibility for this.
yielded the following:
That was my dad. I meet your client at vw show a few weeks ago. He told me you were coming to help him. I asked him were he lived. When he told me I said you live right by my dad.
Colin :flower:
Funny! Mystery solved! I do recall that...now...I mentioned the name of my subdivision.
Phew...that's a little less weird now!
Miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:20 am

wcfvw69 wrote:.. Make sure you SHAKE the mustard thoroughly to prevent Colin applying it and getting that watery, not shaken mess on his dog.
GAWD, what a Princess! :cherry: Next he'll be expecting the carcinogenic dried crud to be scraped off the ketchup bottle.
He'll have to root for carrots in our garden when he gets here. Washed off with the hose, if he's particular...
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:52 pm

SlowLane wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:.. Make sure you SHAKE the mustard thoroughly to prevent Colin applying it and getting that watery, not shaken mess on his dog.
GAWD, what a Princess! :cherry: Next he'll be expecting the carcinogenic dried crud to be scraped off the ketchup bottle.
He'll have to root for carrots in our garden when he gets here. Washed off with the hose, if he's particular...
Yeah, well I have to say, after a hotdog (ok, several,) and fries at wcfvw69's house, you would be perturbed too if mustard-water spat all over our gourmet meal. Bill's girlfriend does NOT mess around. Ever seen Colin with razorblades or a sharpie? It's like that, but with food. :blackeye:

Miz, you're going to post all about your camping trip right? Your last one was fun to read about, despite the dire circumstances with the plugged cat.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:51 pm

Hey Miz, did you and Colin discuss the metal shards you found in your oil strainer? If so what did he say about them? Is your engine running good now?

79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:07 am

Happyfolk wrote:Hey Miz, did you and Colin discuss the metal shards you found in your oil strainer? If so what did he say about them? Is your engine running good now?
We discussed the beauty of spin-on oil filters and the shame of silicone embolisms blocking the engine's critical arteries. Seriously, the left side of the engine had the pushrod retainer serpentine wire but the right side did not? So the right side pushrod tubes were globbed with smears of silicone sealant, but the engineering of the engine demands that the tubes be free to move in the case as it expands and contracts. So what happens when the engineering is suffocated with blobs of glob? The blobs of glob become unmoored by the expansion and contraction and oil finds its way out. OK, so Adrian's Mix N Match Engine Rebuilding Emporium may or may not return you your every part that the factory deemed necessary, but how shall we address the consequences? Let me know, Mr. Miz, if the pushrod tubes remain dry on the right, but please do ask Adrian to rustle up a pair of serpentine pushrod retainer wires. I reckon he doesn't worry about deleting such necessary parts for the more clueless of his customers. I hope the Itinerant Air-Cooled brigade will be asking for every serpentine wire, every fan housing flap, every Porsche adjuster, every exhaust component, the correct distributor, all parts that you sent in the first place, because, dang it, we respect the engineering that these cars came with. Now I have coffee spittle all over the keyboard.

Photos . . . later!

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:20 am

Amskeptic wrote:Let me know, Mr. Miz, if the pushrod tubes remain dry on the right, but please do ask Adrian to rustle up a pair of serpentine pushrod retainer wires...because, dang it, we respect the engineering that these cars came with. Now I have coffee spittle all over the keyboard.

Photos . . . later!
Colin, now I definitely will ask for some springs! Thanks for providing the first laugh of the day! :sunny:
Miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:23 am

Happyfolk wrote:Hey Miz, did you and Colin discuss the metal shards you found in your oil strainer? If so what did he say about them? Is your engine running good now?
Yes we did... I'll continue to monitor for more. The engine seems to be running really pretty well, now.
I'm looking forward to spending some time in my bus!

Miz
1982 Westy- Vana White