Itinerary Appointment 06/01

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wdollie6
Addicted!

Re: Itinerary Appointment 06/01

Post by wdollie6 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:37 am

A long delay in posting but solved the Super Beetles issue with wobbling. When I was in Flagler a few months ago and while replacing my third brake light switch (brake fluid leaking through spades on switch, junk), I checked all components of suspension and steering and to my surprise found that the bolt that connects the idler arm to the rest of the steering was full loose and a thread or so away from falling off, not good. Apparently when I was reassembling I forgot to tighten it down/torque, at least it wasn't something important. :scratch:

I went to the nearest hardware store picked up the proper size nylok nut and heavy washer and retightened to what felt appropriate from a steering tightness perspective (no torque wrench). Wobble is gone and the steering is much tighter, amazing. Clearly avoided a disaster of my own making, my favorite saying " have met the enemy the enemy is us." (Pogo comic strip).

Meet with Colin in Flagler at end of next week to work out some of the remaining issues on Layla; fuel smell, fuel gauge, window alignment, non-working wipers, etc.. Man I love driving her around the beach area, now if I only had confidence in longer drives (longest drive has been 20 miles or so). When I was a teenager I would take my 63 VW every where and it was in much worse shape than Layla, age dulls the adventurous part of the soul I suppose.
1972 Superbeetle Convertible
1972 Westy Bus
1972 Beetle
1970 Fastback
1966 6V Beetle with Sunroof

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Itinerary Appointment 06/01

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:19 pm

wdollie6 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:37 am
age dulls the adventurous part of the soul I suppose.

Naaah,

Lack Of Terrifying Necessity Dulls Scrambling Reflexes.

Try some modern geriatric on-the-road FUBAR. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how young you feel when trying to convince passing motorists to pleasepleaseplease pick you up! so you can get to the auto parts store for a can of fix-a-flat and a generic shock bushing to stuff in the idler arm bushing because the damn thing fell off again and sent you into the shoulder detritus at too high of a speed.
That'll be an adventure.
"No, I really don't want to ride with YOU."
"Why not?"
"Because you are not wearing any pants."
(true story)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles