Itinerant Air-Cooled Main Lap Prep

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Main Lap Prep

Post by asiab3 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:53 am

Amskeptic wrote: a) I won't be retiring, but with my fellow motorists out here texting and carrying on behind the wheel, he could find himself promoted any day now.

b) Yep. You ain't supposed to have that cable . . .
a) I can't buy Interstate Parts AND drive laps around the country. Though answering phones all day and saying "no, this NOS signal switch is not free" would have its drawbacks...

b) Bill PM me tonight about the air cleaner; you can have my '71 oil bath. It's needing a thermostat and a home...

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:39 pm

I only demand correctness when it enhances function.
are you separating Form from Function ? what about form and style ? Without style, function means little. Just nlook around at the modern cars, suburbs, buildings and infrastrucutre..most of it is craptastically ugly and drab !
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:33 pm

dingo wrote:Without style, function means little.

I disagree. Those people who designed that montrous bulbous Nissan Uglitron and the Pontiac Aztek and the butt-ugly Honda and Mercedes minivans, they tried to apply "style". Style is vapid. Style is trapped in the fickle now. Style is immature feverish babble.

Brilliantly executed function has form.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:06 pm

i dont consider any of those monstrosities you mention to have any style whatsoever. Obviously that is a subjective statement that cannot ever be resolved. I would agree that attention to quality and functionality eventually leads to good styling i.e. when form and function are blended they tend to enhance each other
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:48 pm

I think Honda minivans have potential, in that once handed down to others and used for everything/anything they were and weren't designed for, they prove to be incredibly useful tools. Slap a poptop on one, remove the center row seating and ...... you know. =)
1979 California Transporter

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:52 pm

Just look at a car like, oh I don't know... The Volkswagen Bus!! The function IS the form, and we don't seem to mind them, do we??

That minivan has an underbite,
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Amskeptic wrote: By the way, look at the original '68 bus and Chloe, see how the thermostatic preheater cable goes between the horizontal air cleaner-to-carburetor duct and the fan housing? Less stress/friction with a more gradual curve means less likelihood of a thermostat not opening fully . . . .
Colin
Bill, it might also be worth noting that there is a 700mm sleeve and a 750mm sleeve. Interestingly enough, the cables inside measure 815mm and 800mm respectively. They also carry 211 and 113 part numbers, so there may be some model-fudging going on, but they're both listed in the bus parts book. I have a shorter-shorter setup, so I needed all the bend I could politely muster. Interestingly enough, my Bentley Fuel System, figure 6-1 shows the cable to the right of the generator like I have it SO THERE. (Pardon the garish red wires; old photo left over from break-in days…)

Now that I look, I think mom's bug has the longer cable. It certainly has extra slack. (Pardon the primitive lack of decals and dirty throttle positioner…)

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

the miz
Addicted!

Post by the miz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:22 am

airkooledchris wrote: I think Honda minivans have potential, in that once handed down to others and used for everything/anything they were and weren't designed for, they prove to be incredibly useful tools. Slap a poptop on one, remove the center row seating and ...... you know. =)
...yeah, you might end up with a more affordable version of this:

-miz
1982 Westy- Vana White