Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Georgia

Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Georgia

Post by asiab3 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Amskeptic wrote:
asiab3 wrote:Aye. It was a fun afternoon. And evening. And night. We actually had two bugs, one with a defroster grid, and one without. We wanted to trade glass, nothing more, but both had failing seals, so we added the chrome to both the new seals. Fingertip blood is a special kind of hurt.

Anyway, Colin, we did the chrome before installing the window, but the rope technique we used on the chrome should work without pulling the window, assuming you can get the old chrome out cleanly. Mom has given me the go-ahead to buy her a new rear window seal WITH chrome this time, to gussy the convertible back up to 1969 quality standards. I will attempt my test, take lots of clear photographs, and get back to you in less than a month, or before you get back to the BobD anyway.

Robbie
I just want to make sure are on the same page here. Post '72 plastic chrome has a simple straight christmas tree barb cross-section that you merely rip out of the groove.

1969 Beetle chrome is an aluminum strip with a semi-circular cross section that must be installed with the glass out.
Colin
Aaaahhhhh… I have never seen the "christmas tree barb cross-section" you mentioned. Is this a bug/bus difference, or a late/early quality/chepo difference?

And would ripping out the old stuff damage the seal in any way? I've never even seen something that would resemble that description……
Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy"
http://theroadtells.com
"I would not do this again on a short time frame, the country is just so vast and beautiful…" - Barb/Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Georgia

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:15 am

asiab3 wrote:I have never seen the "christmas tree barb cross-section" you mentioned. Is this a bug/bus difference, or a late/early quality/chepo difference?

And would ripping out the old stuff damage the seal in any way? I've never even seen something that would resemble that description……
Robbie
You will see the cross section in one of the detail photographs. They over-represent the years that this chrome fits. It was introduced in 1973.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 16-175-345
BobD - 1978 Bus . . . . . . . . . . .110,334 miles
Chloe - 1970 bus . . . . . . . . . . . 203,125 miles
Naranja - 1977 Westfalia . . . . 72,350 miles,
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . 55,478 miles

Return to “2015 Itinerary”