2014 Results Just In!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: 2014 Results Just In!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:55 am

OK. So, don't call it a "fuel surcharge" as that seems to torque folks. Charge 600.00 per day for a day of quality VW work and education.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:46 am

This may boil down to a struggle between sticking to your ideals vs. maximizing your profits.

x2 on what BellePlaine said! I really like the idea of a list or "menu" for folks to choose from. You can list a variety of individual tasks or "upgrades", and/or various "packages" that you offer (a general once-over for a noobie or someone new to their bus, a more in-depth once-over for a particular system like suspension, brakes, weather-proofing, tune-up, etc.). I know this goes somewhat against your Consultant role, but it could generate some more business.

OK - thinking out loud here.....

Have you ever contemplated stretching your season out more, and hitting the colder states in the summer, and the warmer states in the spring and fall/winter? Perhaps this would allow for more flexibility *availability* and would enable you to fill more dates? Do you find that there is a greater demand from us in the northern states in the early spring, as we take our beasts out of hibernation and realize that we need to attend to X, Y & Z before hitting the road in the summer? I know the tour is physically and mentally demanding, and thus requires a period of downtime to repair your body and mind, but it might be something you should consider. Maybe a longer, slower paced tour would be easier on you, and would allow for a more methodical (and more economical) plan in terms of lodging, and might be a way for you to slow down and increase your MPGs?

Have you considered seeing how much a banner ad on the samba would cost? Depending on the cost, perhaps some of the tour "regulars" could front the tab for an ad in advance of your 2015 tour in exchange for a reduced daily rate when the time comes (they could pay $100 now, and $350 or whatever at time of service)?

This might be tough but perhaps you could structure your 2015 route to enable you to hit a bunch of VW swap meets, club gatherings, etc. You just being there in your ride will create a buzz, and will gain *free* exposure.

Again, just thinking out loud.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:15 am

Mr Blotto wrote:,

This might be tough but perhaps you could structure your 2015 route to enable you to hit a bunch of VW swap meets, club gatherings, etc. You just being there in your ride will create a buzz, and will gain *free* exposure.

Again, just thinking out loud.

agreed on all points especially seasonal events like that BugJam in Florida I was lucky enough to meet Hobug at by chance!
jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:20 pm

One more thing we can do to keep Colin on the road is to treat him to a lunch or dinner when he rolls through your town. I did that a couple of years ago, and found it to be well worth it. (Maybe he did, too.)

Next time Sacramento is on your route, give me a PM a week or two ahead of time. Come to think of it, this goes not only for Colin, but for the rest of you guys, too. I see a few of you here and there, at shows or at Maupin, but nothing beats face time, especially if you're hankering to punch me out.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

jcbrock
Getting Hooked!

Post by jcbrock » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:16 pm

I bumped the feedback thread on 'the other forum'. It seemed like it could use it, and I had not yet done so.

Best wishes in the new year to all!
'76 Type II Station Wagon - in the family since new!
Corvallis, OR

volks71folk
I'm New!

Post by volks71folk » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:35 pm

I come here often to read about all your Itinerary stops and type 2 posts. Its been 10 years since I had a visit from you and glad you are still doing what you do. I am sure there are other people like me that come to read and dont really post at all or had a visit in awhile. Maybe us lurkers should schedule a visit nexy year.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:00 pm

volks71folk wrote:I come here often to read about all your Itinerary stops and type 2 posts. Its been 10 years since I had a visit from you and glad you are still doing what you do. I am sure there are other people like me that come to read and dont really post at all or had a visit in awhile. Maybe us lurkers should schedule a visit nexy year.

Ten years, you stretch my memory . . . Greenville? Post-Katrina?
Schedule a visit before I go senile.
"Hey, I'd like to schedule a visit."
"What? You would like to cudgel a digit?"
"A visit, to work on my Volkswagen."
"Hey, I work on Volkswagens."
"I know, that's why I want to schedule an appointment, to work on my Volkswagen."
"You can do that?"
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

volks71folk
I'm New!

Post by volks71folk » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Canton, Ohio in 05 or 06. White 71 Campmobile. I live just north of there now. I will look for your schedule in the spring.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:06 pm

Guess I'm considered an old timer.....I clearly remember how Colin described in my family room how he became disenchanted (I'm being nice here) with the Samba. IIRC I believe the IAC colors were originally electric green and black?!

But just because I've been around awhile doesn't mean much ... as the saying goes, do you have 9 years of experience or one years of experience 9 times....

As for the fuel surcharge.... it CAN be setup equitably for both parties .... I work in the transportation industry and it is common industry practice to take the volatility of gas prices out of the base charge. It works like this - you have a base rate set a certain dollar amount (typically around 1.30 b/c chances are it won't go that low) and then you increment it based on the cost of gas and expected mpg. As Colin sets up his itinerary at the beginning of the season and knows pretty well how many miles he will travel, he could charge an FSC (fuel surcharge) based on total miles expected travel and divy up by the number of stops. At the end of the season he could recalculate based on actual, and ask for donations if there is a substantial deviation. In my industry, it fluctuates weekly, however, don't think that is practical based on fairness to all , and that he is a one man operation.

As for the clique-ness .... if you don't like what you see in free speech, then don't read it. simple. I lurk there often, but if it seems hostile, don't participate. Heck, I consider my self a moderate, and my voting history supports this. However, on this site I feel like a total right winger ... and that's okay - I see it as my 'duty' to provide some constructive criticism (when I can) so folks can hone their dialogue when they talk to others ... at least give people something to think about. At least on this site i feel 'safe' that i won't get flamed for posting opposing view points.

As for the commercial viability for Colin's business - that is in the hands of the entrepreneur....however, will be happy to provide opinions and advise when solicited.

Oh, and Colin - I got a little chuckle and a 'warm fuzzie' when I received your blind text "Merry Christmas - but don't know who this is"

Cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:36 pm

Amskeptic wrote:.....Tighter scheduling and operations showed an increase in efficiency......I really did enjoy this itinerary, through deeper discomforts, battles with moisture and chill (I really am getting older, folks!).....The beautifulness of each day on Earth is becoming more poignant, the familiarity with so many places in this country is startling, the love for the open road is increasing.....I am newly anxious about the viability of my livelihood here................I am open to new ways to breathe life into this experience.
It has always been thus.
hippiewannabe/zeen in 2004 wrote: It's up to you where you want to turn the knob between a money making venture and an all expenses paid vacation.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... n&start=20

You've improved the numbers with tighter scheduling, but it is still a balance between the "mechanic" thing and the "Itinerant" thing. You could set up shop in a spot where Porsche owners pay $150 per hour for service, and would love to pay someone $75 per hour for simpler jobs and honest diagnosis. $750 for ten hours of work rather than ten hours on the road with gas, vehicle depreciation and lodging expenses between visits would add up.

But we've been over that. It's way cool that you can do what you do.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:31 am

BellePlaine wrote:My suggestion is to give us a menu of jobs to be considered during an appointment.

Here’s a crazy idea, make quick little videos....

BellePlaine
Happy new year. I know only one of the IAC members personally, except of course for Colin, but Happy New Year to all of you brothers and sisters. I did not get to have a visit this year, but I did get to visit a group visit and it was nice to see nerds in action in Bishop, GA and it was great to see you Colin. Hopefully this will be my year for a visit, the bus is in need.

Regarding suggestions, I'll just dump ideas:
~The video idea was one I had prior to seeing Belle Plaine's post.
~The menu is also a great idea, especially for newbies.
~Also, a list of common jobs/activities and approximate times might be of some service for the pre-visit planner.
~In addition, audio lectures might be something folks are interested in as well.
~For the newbie, a flipped classroom sort of video/literature/audio set up/primer might be nice; the customer is responsible for taking care of educating him/herself prior to the visit. Do you all remember the first visit with Colin? Several hours going over the basics of the basic. Good for many, not needed for all. Want it? Need it? You decide. A video/article/audio combo to prep folks so that work can begin as soon as the day starts might be of some benefit.
~I am not sure if you did/do this for everyone Colin, but you did a once over inspection for me on my first visit. A pre-established inspection checklist that you do while the customer is put up to starting on a project at the start of the day could be cool. If all "pre-established need to do" stuff gets done that day, start on the list.
~Business cards with your personal cell # so those who have had an appointment can call you 24/7 for tech support! :banghead: HA HA. Just kidding.

That's what I got for now.
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:15 pm

I may not be one of the original few from 2006, but I am hanging in there.

I don't call myself a Facebook user in any sense of the word. I do however belong to the Full Moon bus Club FB page and I would say that I see by far the most activity multiple times a day on my meager page from people needing help. I have turned to it myself at times since the answers to a question are almost instantaneous. Something to consider.

I try to convince other VW owners at every opportunity that I can that your services are the best and most economical investment for their vehicles they could ever make. Aside from the practical aspects, the knowledge that one gains is nearly priceless and the entertainment value of an IAC day is almost worth the admission price alone.

Also, a short IAC documentary would have a wide appeal for an audience beyond the VW crowd. What you do and how you do it is unique and many would find your craft and YOU very interesting.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:38 pm

aopisa wrote:I do however belong to the Full Moon bus Club FB page and I would say that I see by far the most activity multiple times a day on my meager page from people needing help. I have turned to it myself at times since the answers to a question are almost instantaneous. Something to consider.
Tell me more about this.
What instantaneous answers?
I am not a member of Facebook . . . . yetpleasegod,idontwANNA
aopisa wrote: Also, a short IAC documentary would have a wide appeal for an audience beyond the VW crowd. What you do and how you do it is unique and many would find your craft and YOU very interesting.
Well, Neal did a little video that played on Portland cable. I was young and handsome back then. Now it would look like the mutterings of a homeless man.
".....geezusnotagainthatdamnflooriswetallovertheplacehowmanytimesdoIhavetostripoutanddrythisthing?"
"Excuse me, could you raise your voice just a little?"
"damnsealirebuiltthatdamnventwindowthingatleastthreetimesdiditstopleakinghellnowhatamisupposedtodowithchineserivetsinagermancarISAIDTOHELLWITHTHISCHEAPCRAPwhatareyoulookingatthelastporiginaldoorpanelsintheworldandthey'regettinghitwithlawnsprinklerjuicefineibought3m8095caulkandcaulkedmypoorcarUPTHEASSwhatwasisupposedtodostaplesstaplesholdinguptheheadlinerwhyIoughtaretirethatswhatIsay . . . who are you? What do you want?"
"We're shooting a documentary on your day. You gave us permission weeks ago."
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:52 am

Amskeptic wrote:Well, Neal did a little video that played on Portland cable. ...the mutterings of a homeless man.
".....geezusnotagainthatdamnflooriswetallovertheplacehowmanytimesdoIhavetostripoutanddrythisthing?"
"Excuse me, could you raise your voice just a little?"
Or, I'm trying to shoot (video) the arrived-on-the-hook Vanagon resuscitation at Maupin a few years ago.

Me: "Oh, wait, could you just undo that fastener so the camera can see it?"
Colin: "No."

Trust me (and Neal) guys. Video is hard.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:58 am

Colin, was that the video of you at an outside bar/beer garden type location telling the camera how this all started?
I saw that a while ago and was riveted to the screen while it played, so passionate you were telling the viewers about your first itinerary.
Jeff
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."