Itinerant Air-Cooled's Cow Comes Home

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled's Cow Comes Home

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Standing here outside of her winter stall, this unassuming brown bus has knocked out 20,816 miles five days shy of the day I picked it up from Councilman pj's Bass Boat Sparkle Blue Thing/CandyApple Bus Palace last fall.

Last roadside project was to remove and wax the inside surfaces of the bumper steps and rust-catalyzing primer treat the bolts, washers, and holes that access the interior of the doglegs. Hey Hippie, we DO synchronize this maintenance task with the factory recommended battery box wax treatment, do we not?

What a great car. Though I have regaled you with stories of only about half of the projects I embarked upon and re-re-re-repaired, the fact of the matter is, this car did not stop me once on the itinerary. It warned me of a few issues, yes, and politely threw a fan belt when I shut off the engine outside of Parachute CO in late June.

Not once during the itinerary did I feel nervous driving it, neither whipping wind nor pelting rain not blistering heat nor blustering traffic.
The brakes never let me down.
The steering, other than sickening lurches past a stripped gear every few seconds, always directed the car somewhat mostly towards where I think I sort of wanted to go.
The transmission and I now know each other and it has not had that pop-outta-3rd deal since July.
That wonderful little engine just did the whole country without protest, used heads with no untoward valve adjustments, compression that is barely 5# less than my first compression test in Dallas (I never did get around to the points or timing since last fall), the fuel mileage looks like it is going to average to just about 18/19 mpg.
That said, it seemed extremely anxious to asphyxiate me at every turn.

I will be taking the BobD down to the Florida calls of October 09 and 11. Hopefully Vdubtech will have sent me the egr filter that will allow us to experiment with exhaust gas recirculation vs cylinder head temperatures.

Nice job, Chloe.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sailorkh
Addicted!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled's Cow Comes Home

Post by sailorkh » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:41 pm

:cheers: to the plucky brown cow, well done!
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:50 pm

Notice the Diet Coke hiding in the weeds. Way to go Chloe, Mike would be proud of you!
Amskeptic wrote:Image
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:18 pm

I never had a doubt.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

retro1302
I'm New!

Post by retro1302 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 am

I marvel at way the Colin neatly and sequentially arranges all parts removed, even the little bit of hardware shown in these photos. Thats a good discipline and a lesson well learned. I always put the hardware in an old cat food tin. No more.

Stan

1965 Split Camper
1971 Super Beetle Convert
1980 Triumph Spitfire

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:02 am

retro1302 wrote:I always put the hardware in an old cat food tin. No more. Stan
"Honey, WHAT did you feed the cat?!?!? METAL??!?"

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 pm

retro1302 wrote:I marvel at way the Colin neatly and sequentially arranges all parts removed, even the little bit of hadware shown in these photos. Thats a good discipline and a lesson well learned. I always put the hardware in an old cat food tin. No more.Stan
There are many paths to Rome . . .

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

retro1302
I'm New!

Post by retro1302 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:31 pm

I meant a USED cat food tin.

Funny, very funny. =D>