Emergency Engine Teardown Thread

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Emergency Engine Teardown Thread

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:44 pm

Indeed. I feel better now about having to take my carefully torqued heads off to get the deflector tins in under the cylinders.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:16 pm

satchmo wrote:That picture with the engine tilted off the jack and sitting in a puddle of oil makes me feel...satisfied. It is good to know this kind of thing happens even to the most experienced among us.

Tim
Gravity seems to occur in waves.
Colin :blackeye:

(update: car died in Monroe Louisiana on the main drag. Damn close to got killed by rushing motorists who do not *process* emergency flashers and an open engine compartment lid with a human being pouring little carb spray capfuls of gasoline into the carburetor to let the car cough down the road a few feet at a time to get to a safe parking area. "Fuel delivery?" you ask ..... fill you in later, I parked it and am in a motel for badly needed sleep )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

rustbus
I'm New!

Post by rustbus » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:07 pm

Very cool, i was waiting and this did not disappoint! sorry you had to go through that but thanks for the posts - very entertaining! like no other

as to the loss of power, suppose its about the compression ratio? or?

sweet dreams!

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Colin, you are a force of nature. :salute:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:18 pm

The heat build-up, I think, had more to do with just being localized to the seating ring at the valve edge instead of quickly migrating to the center and up the stem like with valves that are contacting further up and in from the edges. It is interesting when you think of it, that the change in CHT readings was about 70* at the plug where the sensor is, so let's say the source of the heat (the valve) probably maybe whothehellknows might have been an additional 200* or 300*. The picture of the used Yuma valves showed carbon which can build at temperatures around 500-800* IIRC, the TBRRD's valves were blasted completely clean, that is at least 1,100*
Colin

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:45 pm

Should have givin' you the new in box fuel pump along with that carb. Oh well, by the look at my atlas, you will be in Atlanta by turkey day. I will add that to my mantras.

What a story to add to your "Coffee Table" book eh?
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:20 pm

Elwood wrote:Should have givin' you the new in box fuel pump along with that carb.

( :bounce: :bounce: :wav: :bounce: :bounce: )

Elwood wrote: Oh well, by the look at my atlas, you will be in Atlanta by turkey day. I will add that to my mantras.

What a story to add to your "Coffee Table" book eh?
People are going to think I can't get out the driveway without my car falling apart. I don't think it is the pump .... yet.
Colin

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:12 am

I go straight to rusty flaky clogged fuel line at the tank then. Is there anything else? Check the fuel filter.

Keep on,
neal

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:38 am

Not trying to start a witch-hunt, but do an of you PDX'ers know who Mike used to rebuild those heads? Might be good to know to put on the list of who not to use. If it was the late Dan Hall, then we can just let it go at that.

Were you so completely exhausted you let the gas gauge get away from you? Done it.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:54 am

Amskeptic wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:So it was running hot because the smaller valve wasn't able to dissipate heat as well as the larger, thus the heat built up?
I have mad speculations that don't seem to add up, but something like that.
Maybe take them to Len Hoffman and get his professional opinion?
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:49 am

SlowLane wrote:Maybe take them to Len Hoffman and get his professional opinion?
I hear Len is back in the reman business. Definately a good suggestion. He is in Athens...
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 am

ruckman101 wrote:Indeed. I feel better now about having to take my carefully torqued heads off to get the deflector tins in under the cyliders.

neal
I was just thinking the same thing. Except with a type 4 and pushrod tubes.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:55 pm

Now people, thank you all for your suggestions, thank you. Thank you.
BUT
I am the guy who says "keep it simple!"

Here is the weather that found me just west of Clinton MS when the car died again.

It died on a short left turn green that yellowed just as the engine coughed. As I am trying to desperately use what little momentum I had, the opposing street's left turn people just drive right at and around me, a Ford Escape cuts in front of me, making me have to stop cold. I needed that momentum! My flashers said so! This person could not give me a second to clear the intersection?? Raining and thundering and lightening, I jump out and HAVE TO ASK THE PERSON BEHIND ME TO BACK UP SO I CAN I OPEN THE HATCH?????
I am telling that little smirky engine, "don't make me stick valve grinding paste down your oil filler, cuz I WILL". Tap the carburetor with a pathetic little screwdriver ... I felt like a three year old hitting a grizzly, "bad bear! bad bear!" Still no start.

Last night, when not in the rain and the lightening and the thunder and the 6 lane-by-6 lane intersection, I had the luxury of pulling the supply fuel hose to the pump and getting some gas from the tank (no clog, Neal) and running the car forward six feet X six feet X six feet X six feet X six feet X six feet X six feet X six feet, each six feet representing a cap-shot of gas.
Not today in the rain! Plus there is a hill, a huge overwhelming uphill towards the curb. A nice old man in an already stoved-in Datsun pickup yells out "want me push?" Thinking a little extra leg action would help, I yelled back, "sure!" Managed to stop him just before his stoved-in Datsun touched the bumper. "I'm sorry, I can't have you push with your truck." "Suit yourself," said Mr. I Am Dry In My Stoved-in Datsun as he drove away.

Looked around in all this rainy noonday traffic, and realized everybody is nice and dry in their cars. Nobody is going to help. Tried a little starter-in-first-gear action. Hey not bad. It moves. Then the hill tells the starter "no you don't."

I am bounding out of the car into the rain again, the plan being to go squirt valve grinding paste down the oil filler then go jump in front of a Ford Escape yelling "good-bye you warm dry drivers who won't HELP!" when Mr. Courteous Clean-cut Clinton Township Police Officer in a Ford F-150 With Locking Tonneau arrives. "Strap or chain?"

Wow. A choice even. "Strap please." I attach the strap to the tow hook and give him as nice of a carefully tensioned tow as he could ever hope for, even helping him brake as we stop along the side street.

"You get towed a lot?"
"What? Why?"
"Well, you seem pretty experienced at getting towed. Kept the tension good. Need a wrecker?"
"No, I'll figure it out."
"We are under a severe weather watch, you know."

Now you all helpful people, let's keep it simple. It died last night. Capfuls of gas got me to a motel so everything ignition is off the table. It started this morning and gave me two hours of interstate in the rain before it died in the Big Rude Intersection. Fuel pump is good.
Troubleshooting procedure:
hose off carburetor
dribbled into my carb spray cap
threw into the throat of the carburetor
stuck end of hose in carefully placed small bucket
cranked engine it coughed into life briefly.
looked into bucket, fuel there.
Fuel pump works.
fuel hose off pump-to-carb and blew into carb
could not blow into the carb
That told me right there that the needle valve wasn't passing fuel.

GaBOOOM!! Fricken thunderclap almost made me pee my pants. Speaking of peeing, the rain has caught the belt trim and it brings a trickle over to the tailgate edge and dumps on my right arm/elbow.

Took top off carb, removed needle valve, there is a small piece of who knows what on top of the needle valve inlet. Blow it off, reassemble the carb, start the engine and drive to Starbucks so I can hate on the Christmas music and enjoy a hot cup of coffee (free refill! she saw my saga in the intersection!) while I wait for my sweatshirt to dry out ... and to chat with you all of course.
ColinItRunsOnceMore

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Details. Always the details. I guess going slow and paying attention to them pays off. At least maybe preventing a chunk of your transmission bell housing from breaking off.

Simple I like.

neal

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:45 pm

Another advantage of dual carbs, when this happens, you only loose 2 cylinders and can limp to a good spot to fix it. I just had this same thing happen to me on my last long trip this past summer.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.