Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Kentucky

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Kentucky

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:09 am

... with no photographs. There were moments where I would have could have should have photographed the beautiful southern landscapes of Tennessee and Kentucky, but I chose not to. Not with the sun relentlessly leaking down towards the southern horizon and diving down west in the early evening and rising later than me, even. No, the days are precious once more, the warmth I am hoarding where I can, the clouds that I secretly welcomed in the Texas Frying Pan of just one month ago, I now stare at as insulting interlopers, but too bad, our hemisphere is cooling and that's that.

Drove from Atlanta GA to Paducah KY, the very same Paducah as that Doyle Dane Bernbach ad "What If It Poops Out In Paducah?" with the 1960-something Beetle hanging off a towtruck.

Arrived at MandyReigle's shop at 8:00AM because we had a full day of fuel injection retrofit to do on her 1978 Neptune Blue Westy, and Belle Plaine knows, that job can be fraught with little detours. I was friggen delighted to meet an alert vital soul with her own God-given seasoning. Looking at a Mack ten-wheeler tanker in the parking lot, she tells me "that one's mine." We get right to work, and I am happy to discover a sharp mind and quite the perseverence. How many of us professional complainers might say, "damn engineers, there's no room to get my hands down there, waah," She curtly declares, "Too bad my elbow doesn't bend the other way."

Meanwhile, the train across the parking lot is parked with its locomotives idling at just-off-synchronization. Every several minutes, some air system or another lets off a huge release, and I am beginning to bond with it as though it is a loitering whale blowing off. All day that train sat there idling, those huge pistons endlessly travelling their bores, crankshafts spinning at some 200 rpm or so for no good reason.

Some time around 5:00PM, I come to a realization, this job is motoring right along, I ask MandyReigle to do the next operation, and it .... just happens, and it is good to go. So we didn't have enough good fuel hose, and had to use the crap (crap!) hose from MidAmericaMotorworks, and the cylinder head temp sensor reads infinity so we use the BobD spare, everything is ready to try out at about 5:45. Fuel pump runs! Fuel circulates! Wiring looks good! No fuel leaks! Car wont start! Yay! Troubleshooting opportunity! Seems to be the AFM wiper contacts were not quite doing their job. Once the engine starts, we time it, do a little fuel injection adjustment and go for a test drive. Now MandyReigle drives a ten-wheeler Mack with a ten-speed, ya think I am going to demand a double-clutch? You bet.

She tells me the car feels smoother and even a little more powerful. But, of course.
:pirate:
ColinAtBorderOfGeorgia
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Kentucky

Post by Hippie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Amskeptic wrote:...but too bad, our hemisphere is cooling and that's that.
That's for sure.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:06 pm

I was taking pictures the other day and at 10 am my shadow was in the frame. I thought what the heck? And then my heart sank.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:15 am

aopisa wrote:I was taking pictures the other day and at 10 am my shadow was in the frame. I thought what the heck? And then my heart sank.
I shall be thinking of all you 40+ parallelers as I dive down to the southwest ... but first, I have to get to Portland to pick up my fellow traveller.

We have straightened out MidAmericaMotorworks regarding cheap dangerous non-reinforced crap sold as "fuel injection hose". Our own post-OEVeeDub Richard Davies promised to.
Colin

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:31 am

Amskeptic wrote:We have straightened out MidAmericaMotorworks regarding cheap dangerous non-reinforced crap sold as "fuel injection hose". Our own post-OEVeeDub Richard Davies promised to.
Colin
Sad you have to do that.

You buy a Bus in Portland? I've been out of the loop for a while.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Hippie wrote: You buy a Bus in Portland? I've been out of the loop for a while.
Uh yeah ... :pirate:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... =65&t=9881

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:30 pm

Nice. So that deal un-fell-through. I'm glad about that. I hope I get to see it this next summer.
Amskeptic wrote:Image

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:06 am

Hippie wrote:Nice.I hope I get to see it this next summer.
I have a lot to get used to. I practiced at Type 1 bus driving, shifting at 40 into 3rd, driving at 60 mph, slowing on hills, and it is clear that I will have to rewire my mind to a mellower state of progress.
:bounce: :compress: :bounce: Colin :compress: :bounce: :compress:

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 am

Amskeptic wrote:and it is clear that I will have to rewire my mind to a mellower state of progress.
I'm sure some members have some ideas on a way to help you drive in a more "mellower state".

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I have a lot to get used to. I practiced at Type 1 bus driving, shifting at 40 into 3rd, driving at 60 mph, slowing on hills, and it is clear that I will have to rewire my mind to a mellower state of progress.
Well I think the T-1 engine is still designed to go flat out all day long, isn't it?
You can do more than 60 unless there is a headwind or hill. I just floor it most of the time. You will enjoy the mechanical simplicity and the beetle tweedle sound, I think. :sunny:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:34 pm

65 is cruising speed. They are perky, just a lower top speed. Slow down gramps.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:53 am

hambone wrote:Slow down gramps.
Noted ... ya pup.
Colin