The Yuma Touch (Up)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

The Yuma Touch (Up)

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:21 pm

I had searched for Taigagrun 63H and found a willing paint store victim in El Centro CA to make me up three custom aerosol cans (see Irvine Advent Pt III)

The three new cans had a lousy match too.
Here's the thing, you have seen photographs of the BobD where it changes color in the sun. It does. It goes wild yellow. Then, in the shade, it is a stately dark green with greys and a touch of red. It is a complex color!

So Pedro had matched the paint almost decently in the shade, but it kept drying too dark! As have all other attempts ever, to touch up this car. I think it was because the yellow component is just too wild when wet.

I came up with a plan. I got the formula, and asked to purchase a small quantity of the lacking primary colors in the formula. Chrome yellow DM 530, and yellow green DM504. And I mixed that paint myself in the cap of the errant spray can results.

Nailed it! In all lighting conditions! Touched up the left side of the car before the paint dried out in the cap.

Got so excited, I tore into the driver's door dent + hole where some wingnut "body man" had drilled huge pull out holes under the reflector. Here is the picture I sent to Willy one month after buying the BobD. Just add a hole in there, and that is what it looked like this morning:

One of the holes had lost its bondo plug, and that! we shall up with which not put.
Sorry I did not make a procedure of it, but it was mostly sanding and spot putty build-up and more sanding and and brush-on primer with more sanding:

Here, I am halfway up brushing the paint on quickly and lightly with a prang watercolor paint brush (way too stupid small for this project)

Here it is fully painted with two brush coats + under where the reflector had eaten into the paint because the aforementioned prior wingnut forgot to use the rubber reflector base-to-body seal so the housing came in too close and ate the paint:

Look how the color changes to a harsher yellow in the light. With the sun and clouds weather, it was easy to check shade vs sunlight matching while I still had time to perform small color adjustments:

Color changes again in the later afternoon, if you stare intently at the bottom part, you can see the brush strokes that I will color sand down a week or so:

While waiting for spot putty and various paint stages to dry, I disassembled the headlamps for no better reason than to wax the insides of the headlamp buckets and . . .

. . . primarily I wanted to repaint the headlamp retaining rings which, on my better-crafted Road Warrior, were polished stainless steel:

A subtle, but important, appearance upgrade:

Here's the completed result:

And if you have paint in hand, you must freshen the footwells. I clean all the old glue off, and touch up the inevitable rust along the seam that runs under the middle of the step pad with rust-catalyzing primer. I install those pads with no glue no way. Let the water drain and dry as quickly as possible I say:

I have a pile-up of photographs and articles to post, but I can barely handle the incessant Starbucks noise.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:52 pm

Yikes! What's that hideous black grill-looking thing in the middle of your door panel? And it looks like you didn't adequately lubricate the door strap retention pin. Hard to tell from the photograph, actually. :geek:

Don't get your bus looking so nice you begin to suffer from 'Satchmo Syndrome.'

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:25 am

The headlight rings look pretty convincingly like polished stainless. That's a good, shiny chrome silver looking for paint.
Nice job.

I use this sometimes, but it is time consuming, takes a little practice, and needs a light clear-coat to set it properly:

http://www.testors.com/category/145620/ ... amel_Paint

The aluminum, particularly make a nice bare metal shine with proper buffing. It is a enamel based powdered metal. Goes on ugly flat but can be shined to where you can almost see yourself in it.
It's good to know it is on the market for liitle jobs. (hobby stores)

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:09 am

shoooooooot, that's downright beuuuuutifulllllllllllllll
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:45 am

Hippie wrote:The headlight rings look pretty convincingly like polished stainless. That's a good, shiny chrome silver looking for paint.
Nice job.

I use this sometimes, but it is time consuming, takes a little practice, and needs a light clear-coat to set it properly:

http://www.testors.com/category/145620/ ... amel_Paint

The aluminum, particularly make a nice bare metal shine with proper buffing. It is a enamel based powdered metal. Goes on ugly flat but can be shined to where you can almost see yourself in it.
It's good to know it is on the market for liitle jobs. (hobby stores)
I used my wheel formula, Duplicolor engine enamel aluminum + clearcoat, just like the wheels.

I like the idea you offered, but the website's depiction of "brass" looked like crap. You know what cad II plating is, right, the goldish hue on new oem parts with a little bit of rainbow refraction? I would love to find a paint that duplicated that.

Your polishing of the above metal-based paints, how shiny? Chromy? Silvery? Nickely? Goldish? Clearcoat doesn't fog it back down? Sounds intriguing . . . the BobD NEEDS to have the decel valve cad plating refreshed NOW.
Colin

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:22 pm

Yeah, grimy doesn't begin to describe that...

:roll:

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Lanval wrote:Yeah, grimy doesn't begin to describe that...

:roll:

Ha Ha now that made me spash my eggnog on the keyboard, not good, but the bellylaugh shure felt great. I will have to go get my Bentley to know what the decell is. Absolutly nothin' looks in need.

I long for the time to spend on my Elwood. May be soon as Im feeling the wanderlust BIG TIME.

So nice Colin about the color.

Safe travels.

Love, Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Colin, other than fixing and painting obscure things in Yuma, what else are you doing out there? How do you wile the day away?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I like the idea you offered, but the website's depiction of "brass" looked like crap. You know what cad II plating is, right, the goldish hue on new oem parts with a little bit of rainbow refraction? I would love to find a paint that duplicated that.

Your polishing of the above metal-based paints, how shiny? Chromy? Silvery? Nickely? Goldish? Clearcoat doesn't fog it back down? Sounds intriguing . . . the BobD NEEDS to have the decel valve cad plating refreshed NOW.
Colin
Ya I thing cadmium could be approximated by mixing aluminum and brass.
how shiny?...can be pretty silvery. Depends on how long you work it. I put it on wet several coats for a base that won't rub off easily. Then the last three coats I dust on dryish coats. Buff but keep it cool. No scorching. A light clearcoat does dull it down some but makes it tougher. I use about 50/50 laquer and thinner. Airbrush on lightly and rub it in lightly when dry. Can be skipped for max shine, but won't take a lot of handling.
Can also use the non buffing type and buff it hard. No clearcoat.

It is not so much for chroming as a paint that looks so much like bare metal that you cant tell. Fun to play with.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Hiya CK,
I like the idea you offered, but the website's depiction of "brass" looked like crap. You know what cad II plating is, right, the goldish hue on new oem parts with a little bit of rainbow refraction? I would love to find a paint that duplicated that.
Eastwood has a CAD spray paint for just such an application. Haven't used it myself but it gets pretty good reviews.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:15 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya CK,
Eastwood has a CAD spray paint for just such an application. Haven't used it myself but it gets pretty good reviews.
Really? Where's the link, Mr. Retired With Time On His Hands?
Geeze, that's not fair. I got time too.
ColinTheNerve . . .

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Dude, letcher fingers do the walkin:

http://www.eastwood.com/golden-cad-kit.html

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:15 pm

satchmo wrote:Dude, letcher fingers do the walkin:

Tim
Even saw the "new age space soundtrack" video. Looks a little too painted-on in the video. I wonder how much actual cad II plating costs.
Colin

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:56 am

Amskeptic wrote:
satchmo wrote:Dude, letcher fingers do the walkin:

Tim
Even saw the "new age space soundtrack" video. Looks a little too painted-on in the video. I wonder how much actual cad II plating costs.
Colin
Are you still in Yuma?? Heck it isn't much warmer there than here.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Sylvester wrote: Are you still in Yuma?? Heck it isn't much warmer there than here.
It was 74* and sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny yesterday in the desert outside of Dateland Arizona where I spent a lovely day poorly-dressed:

*shimming up the sliding door handle for a more precise feel

*installing new (fake, using electronic fuel pump plastic protector caps) plastic caps for the frame boxes

*re-sanding/spot-puttying/primering/painting the lower driver's door for a better more finished look

*sanding the horrid brownish green paint off the right rear quarter panel at the tail lamp, re-spot-puttying/sanding/primering/painting the rear quarter panel

*yakking with Cindy on a cell phone in the middle of nowhere with a decent ATT signal (I do not get their coverage decisions)

*running (thudding) a half mile wondering if my heart attack was around the corner

*fending off two cute little hungry wild pigs

A nice day.
Colin