Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Atlanta

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Atlanta

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:03 pm

Full circle. Picked up the BobD out of storage way back in March feeling like a clumsy suitor about to take his new love in a white dress and high heels to his favorite swimming hole down the rocky path.

Now we are but four miles from where we started, and it feels different. I can sense the BobD's actual competence/spirit as brought to me from thousands of miles of perfectly reliable dependability. Turns out that the BobD is actually better than the Road Warrior in a critical category, the clutch. Apparently a 228mm disk has just the additional material to not get pissed off-road. In every other category, it is the equal of the Road Warrior except build-quality. I even got used to the sliding windows and lack of partition panels.

Part of the bonding process is indeed, shared experience.
Much as it feels like I have gotten drunk every single day on an exquisite bottle of 1912 Rothschild Mouton Cadet, "oh man, not another day of driving a perfect example of an original VW bus with only 53,000 miles on it!" I am sorry to think that it will be going into storage, to sit, to sit, to lose the daily adventure. But it also is a lovely thing to think of washing the windows in the spring and tearing out of the storage unit to visit the country once more, with actual BobD memories instead of Road Warrior Recalls, of which I have had thousands over the past summer
(the last one was but 100 miles ago, "hey, there's the fireworks store where I stopped last year in the Road Warrior to try to fix the right carb return spring")

Now, I am only stopping here briefly in Atlanta, to enjoy two days of air-conditioned Lexus (I earned it) before I go to Neptune Beach Florida and then up the eastern seaboard to Maryland and New Jersey and Rhode Island and upstate New York and Pennsylvania and Illinois and good grief.
Colin

(just finished the classic IAC vandalization of the BobD)

Road Warrior 2008

BobD 2010

Road Warrior 2008

BobD 2010
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:57 pm

I am so glad you found your muse once again!
And thanks again for doing what you do. Lucky I am, to have met you. (Yoda)
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:22 pm

You didn't have to glue foil in the BobD tail lights? They are in good shape from the picture.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:35 pm

Hippie wrote:You didn't have to glue foil in the BobD tail lights? They are in good shape from the picture.
The BobD got self-sticking HVAC aluminum tape cut to size. I will see if it holds up better than the old spray adhesive/Reynolds foil method.
Colin
(thanks for thinking that was OEM)

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:07 am

your schedule's not complete, because it doesn't mention wintering in sunny So-Cal.

We need you down here... hey, even the BobD is welcome to enjoy some cool sunshine!

Lanval

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:46 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Hippie wrote:You didn't have to glue foil in the BobD tail lights? They are in good shape from the picture.
The BobD got self-sticking HVAC aluminum tape cut to size. I will see if it holds up better than the old spray adhesive/Reynolds foil method.
Colin
(thanks for thinking that was OEM)
Ah.
You know I did something a little more rad on mine that's been working very well for a few years.

Got a rear view mirror repair panel @ Advance Auto Parts.
Mirrored plastic. Cut into bendable sized pieces with scissors. Used contact cement. Took a few hours to get all the pieces fit in edge to edge--but wow--the reflectivity is like a new polished housing. Try that next time it's kind of fun.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:28 pm

Back in HotLanta! Time for some carb swappin and distributor flopping fun! Now if I can just rebuild this carb real quick! Woot I need more time in the day!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Sylvester wrote:Back in HotLanta! Time for some carb swappin and distributor flopping fun! Now if I can just rebuild this carb real quick! Woot I need more time in the day!
Yes, back in Hotlanta all right. But I'll tell ya, the Lexus sure was inviting and hushed whisper quiet and cool and quick, just takes AWAY THE WHOLE DAY.

Got the Road Warrior transaxle put in the storage unit. Will knock down the CVs tomorrow so I can bring the original BobD CV boots with me to reinstall on the BobD where they belonged all along. Strange, the trip those boots have walked.
Colin
(gitchercarbdone)

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:28 am

Let me know when you get back up this way, you're always welcome to stop by!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:50 am

Vdubtech wrote:Let me know when you get back up this way, you're always welcome to stop by!
I believe I will be passing through somewhere around October 11/12th.
Cookie. No wait, pizza/beer?
Colin

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:17 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Vdubtech wrote:Let me know when you get back up this way, you're always welcome to stop by!
Colin
Sounds like a fabulous idea. Oct. 11th is Columbus Day and the DMV is closed, so I'll be here all day. Drop me a pm or give me a ring and let me know when you'll be arriving and I'll roll out the red carpet. =D>

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:49 am

Vdubtech wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Sounds like a fabulous idea. Oct. 11th is Columbus Day and the DMV is closed, so I'll be here all day. Drop me a pm or give me a ring and let me know when you'll be arriving and I'll roll out the red carpet. =D>
Looks like I am being jammed a little here, Vdubtech. I have an October 9th in Providence and a couple of days up in Essex before I get down to the westbound I-90. So we will have to see if we can do Pizza! Beer! on the 12th or 13th after you get home.
Colin

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:15 am

Good to go for weather on the 9th! Mid-60's and sunny!

Colin, can I expect to hear from you prior to the visit?

Anyone chime in with tips and tricks to be better prepared for my first IAC visit?

No major projects are planned for this first visit, although some might get scheduled for the next NE tour. A thorough once over knowledge base and overall assessment session, some diagnosis, and probably a good deal of attention to the basics. Also, creating a master list of what needs to be done, in what order, and how to accomplish said list items effectively and efficiently.

Getting psyched... :cheers:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:30 pm

jimbear wrote:
Colin, can I expect to hear from you prior to the visit?
No. We work your Basic Trust right off the bat. Many who feel they are particularly isolated in the boonies or far far away, get nervous, but I have been pulling in within 15 minutes of our appointed time all across the continent now for eight years. You do get a call if I am going to be late "traffic wreck" "wrong time zone on my clock" "can't find the keys"
"etc"
jimbear wrote: Anyone chime in with tips and tricks to be better prepared for my first IAC visit?
viewtopic.php?t=7921&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=

viewtopic.php?t=7976&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=
jimbear wrote: creating a master list of what needs to be done, in what order, and how to accomplish said list items effectively and efficiently.
Usually the Itinerary Speil mentions for you to fire up a
List of Concerns from Most-Important to Least-Important,
a description of your Goals For The Day,
an answer as to whether or not you want a Weekend Putterer or a Road Warrior,
and a suggestion to buy valve cover gaskets and Valvoline Durablend grease and GumOut carb spray, with a decent roll of [paper towels and whatever oil drain pan you have out from under any clutter so we can usue it as necessary.
But I couldn't find it . . .
Colin

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Vdubtech wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Colin
Looks like I am being jammed a little here, Vdubtech. I have an October 9th in Providence and a couple of days up in Essex before I get down to the westbound I-90. So we will have to see if we can do Pizza! Beer! on the 12th or 13th after you get home.
Colin
No problem brother, I'm usually home by 4:30.