Time To Chill, But . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Time To Chill, But . . .

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Mr. Happy Squatter here did indeed pull out from behind the "Close The Gate" and back onto the road that led back to 290 West to the interstate, after a lovely sunny peaceful restful interlude.

. . . and then what happened? Well, I drove into a hurricane, Hermine was her name. Winds were below 74 mph by the time it hit Kerrville, but I have some tips for hurricane bus piloting:

*that spray coming out of the horn button is normal, as is the water leaking out between the steering column and the base

*take a lane heck take a shoulder too if the wind should catch the side

*40 mph is top speed when the wind comes around to the front

Found a spot in San Antonio to camp way above the busy city streets, but boy am I lucky I did not camp off the pavement under those trees in that Coming Soon! Retail Center! up at the top of the bluff like I had originally experimented. The front right wheel got all tarry gooey and I STOPPED, backed up, said "no! you are in the city stay on a street." I found a pretty good business park cul de sac. At 2:00AM the backside of the storm came lashing in and dumped buckets of rain on the roof and threw lightening bolts and thunder. The noise was so painfully intense, that I put on my leaf-blower ear protection and wrapped the comforter around my face so I wouldn't be continually awakened by the lightening. Fine, OK, I actually fell asleep for a bit. But I woke up to a weird weird sound, like "I most certainly did not leave the ambulance fans on" . . . no, it was the sound of the nearby storm drain just getting choked off by rising waters. Sounded like a struggling fan motor. The rapidly flowing water made it up to the wheels and gurgled under the car like a babbling brook, would have been nice in any other circumstance.
Back window leaked. Windshield leaked. Both side windows leaked. Air extractors leaked. Paper towels sogged up, as did comforter, oem boxes of Type 4 main bearings, my sweatershirt/raincoat was a sodden mess, the floor under the rubber mats was wet wet wet.
Nice.
New Project: weatherproof this car.
Dallas is under tornado watch, we are just drying out.
Colin :pale:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Time To Chill, But . . .

Post by sped372 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:14 am

Amskeptic wrote:New Project: weatherproof this car.
I'll be interested to hear how you keep the rear vent wings from leaking. They're the only pesky spots I haven't had luck with waterproofing on our bus.

Keep safe.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:20 am

sped372 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:New Project: weatherproof this car.
I'll be interested to hear how you keep the rear vent wings from leaking. They're the only pesky spots I haven't had luck with waterproofing on our bus.

Keep safe.
I have this problem too.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:39 am

Amskeptic wrote: oem boxes of Type 4 main bearings
YOU HAVE OEM MAIN BEARINGS!!!! :evil:

I just had a bugger of a time tracking down a set that didn't cost a king's ransom. And you are sitting on a set? :yawinkle:

For anyone else in the midst of a type IV rebuild that needs bearings......get him he's down yonder in Texas!

Disclaimer-
(No offence was meant by this ridiculous post to mobs, Texans, itinerant mechanics, or casual readers of this or any website.)
End Disclaimer
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:35 am

You have been purified.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:42 am

hercdriver wrote: YOU HAVE OEM MAIN BEARINGS!!!! :evil:

Why yes . . . . . . . I do.

I picked them up in San Diego, California on August 2nd on a fuel hose run with Mike Converse when the crabby proprietor gave me a rash of pure unadulterated bulls**t regarding the use of bug fuel filters in a fuel injection bus. Did I write about that?

I have Kolbenschmidt STD and .010 Under. They say they are for a 411, they were made before the bus got the Type 4 engine.
:flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles