BobD Greetings From Austin

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:37 am

Hippie wrote:1/2 quart of oil in how many miles? I wonder if a ring(s) stuck from sitting. Maybe a little Marvel Mystert Oil in there.
1,000 miles. Nothing to do about it, it is within factory standards.
Adjusted the valves in Austin yesterday morning, and only gained an hour on seven valves, lost an hour on one exhaust valve.
Colin

definitions:
Hour ; the position of the adjusting screw slot
"lost" , if the screw was at 9-3 o'clock, it is now at 8-2 o'clock, this would be a slight valve seat recession indicator
"gained" if the screw was at 9-3 o'clock, it ended up at 10-4 o'clock, this means wear.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:13 am

Welcome back :cheers:
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Amskeptic wrote: 1,000 miles. Nothing to do about it, it is within factory standards.
Adjusted the valves in Austin yesterday morning, and only gained an hour on seven valves, lost an hour on one exhaust valve.
Colin
Oh. That's not bad. That's half my consumption.
I got one exhaust valve (#1) gaining an hour every 100 miles. I wonder how long I have before it goes kablooey. :pukeleft:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Hippie wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: 1,000 miles. Nothing to do about it, it is within factory standards.
Colin
Oh. That's not bad. That's half my consumption.
I got one exhaust valve (#1) gaining an hour every 100 miles. I wonder how long I have before it goes kablooey. :pukeleft:
You can't use the same terminology with solid lifters, I don't think.

Maybe you can. If your adjusting screw was 9-3, for example, you are saying that you have to tighten down the clearance and it ends up at 10-4?
If that is the case, you have wear occurring somewhere, lifter bottom, rocker shafts . . .
Colin

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:23 pm

You gonna get out there and pull the head, Hippie? I'm doing one this weekend. Don't want to wait too long. You'll end up doing this:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:27 pm

chitwnvw wrote: Don't want to wait too long.
Every time. I see these pictures and freeze up rigor mortisville. It does not matter that it was 70* and sunny today, that cold oily dead machinery in the snow . . . . . . . . .

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:57 am

Amskeptic wrote:...If your adjusting screw was 9-3, for example, you are saying that you have to tighten down the clearance and it ends up at 10-4?
Colin
Maybe I said wrong. I am losing the valve clearance. The valve, like, keeps tightening up and losing the gap--and it's getting worser and worser.
I can set 'er at .008" and by weeks end, I can't even get a .004" feeler gauge in there.
chitwnvw wrote:You gonna get out there and pull the head, Hippie? I'm doing one this weekend. Don't want to wait too long. You'll end up doing this:

Gaaaawwww!!!!! I'm gonna tie a snow shovel to my antenna and drive south 'til somebody asks me what it is!!!!

Unfortunately, I have to pull the engine and strip it to the long block to get the heads off on the T-1 design. Won't be able to have time for all that until maybe December...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:30 am

Hippie wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:...If your adjusting screw was 9-3, for example, you are saying that you have to tighten down the clearance and it ends up at 10-4?
Colin
Maybe I said wrong. I am losing the valve clearance. The valve, like, keeps tightening up and losing the gap--and it's getting worser and worser.
I can set 'er at .008" and by weeks end, I can't even get a .004" feeler gauge in there....
Do not even start the engine. No fooling around.
If you are lucky, it is a stretching valve that you can replace for $8.99 and just lap it into the seat. But this option has you in the highest danger zone if you start the engine. More expensive but safer for the person who dares start the engine again, is a valve seat that has worked through the surface hardening, you will see a ridiculous wide shiny seat contact area. This is what happened to my Squareback, I paid $55.00 for a new seat to be shrunk into the fine OEM German head. More expensive yet, and mid-dangerous, is a seat recession where eventually the seat could hula hoop the valve and break it. Here, you have to ask what makes the head get so hot. You would be getting a new head in this instance.
Colin

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Do not even start the engine. No fooling around.
Colin
Oohhhhh--it's that bad?
Poop poop poop. I've been driving it 200 miles a week on the highway.
Well thanks much for the info and sorry to hijack the thread.

Poop poop poop

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:25 pm

After all the apprehensions you had I can't believe you're actually driving BobD on the itinerary. It's a beautiful Bus and deserves to be driven. But I'd be so worried about it getting dinged or something.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Sluggo wrote:After all the apprehensions you had I can't believe you're actually driving BobD on the itinerary. It's a beautiful Bus and deserves to be driven. But I'd be so worried about it getting dinged or something.
I say drive it. Load it up with kids and take them to a swimming hole in West Virginia or something. Teach some 16 year old how to drive a clutch with it. Rejoice when parts wear out from use. Take it someplace nice and drink champagne out of a dixie cup for breakfast with someone you like.

Sometimes you have to let them ponies run. They like it.

BobD told me the best miles he ever had with that bus was when it was loaded up with 7 years olds going to the zoo and singing "Old McDondald had a farm".

In olden days when I had motorcycles, I would take a new one home and lay it down right in the driveway first thing.. Put a good crease in the tank. That was the pressure was off.

We all rent here on earth and you do not get your money back. That includes buses.
79 VW Bus

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:42 pm

Randy in Maine wrote:In olden days when I had motorcycles, I would take a new one home and lay it down right in the driveway first thing.. Put a good crease in the tank. That was the pressure was off.
I've heard that if you buy a new mountain bike you're supposed to lift it above your head and drop it. Same principle I guess. If you plan to use it it will develop "character" and it's all part of the game.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Pearl
I'm New!

Post by Pearl » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:43 pm

is it money in the bank... or is it a bus? Let it be a bus!

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:41 am

That's why I did a cheap paint job and put my money elsewhere into the project. I figured I'd be so worried and then pissed when something did happen, that I should just paint it cheap and easy then I won't be so worried.

I Love BobD though. Simply a beautiful example of a Bus in it's glory.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------