Disposition of the Road Warrior

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:55 am

Amskeptic wrote:It is done. I want never-touched frame rails under my feet.
Good choice. The repaired Road Warrior could look straight and feel straight and drive perfect, but that metal is going to wear this trauma in its molecules until it gets melted into something else. And when the next 19 year-old flies over that hill, the frame--straightened though it may be--isn't going to be able to lay itself on that altar for you again.

That said, I'll give your passenger side markers a good home. Name your price. :pirate:
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 am

does the radio work? even if it doesn't, I"ll still take it.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 pm

Vultures.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Hambone;

Vultures get a bad rap. They keep us from sinking into a morass created by the weight of the detritus emitted by a decaying world. I, for one, kind of like them, since it prevents me from having to clean up every dead rabbit in the vicinity.

Metaphorically;

I can't speak for others, but my comment was directed: when Colin was here, he mentioned that being the IAC guru wasn't sufficiently compensatory for his needs. Now, on top of the gradual decrease in wealth that he's experience while making our lives richer, he's encountered another fiscal bump. Knowing Colin, he won't take my money if I send him a check. But I can PAY him for something in excess of his cost. Because in the end, Colin's success is my own, and to help him in any way is to my own benefit, directly or indirectly. So while it may seem vaguely unsettling, my intentions (and perhaps others) are more altruistic than you're giving credit for. Or so I'd hope.

In any event, if I had MY way, Colin would come out here and winter over with us (or some other local air-head) while rebuilding a 73 westy using the parts from the Road Warrior. I would get some valuable instruction, and amusing/intriguing conversation; I can't tell you how rare those things are here.

But let us think the best of each other ~ we are after all, a community that seems to operate with a sense of noblesse and shared values.

Or so I'd hope.

lanval

Oh! Well, in that case ~ "Vultures!" Hope I can be a friend too... (suitably chastened...)

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Oh my goodness I was just kidding. Barry is my good friend.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:39 pm

:flower:
71 bus, 74 westy

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:52 pm

hey, I learned all my social skills at the office. If someone's cubicle is cleaned out, that Aeron chair is up for grabs.

thanks 'bone. I knew what you meant.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:19 pm

Birdibus wrote:Everyone wants Colin to spend some time in their neck of the woods... but what does Colin need?...
a desk, warmth, peace and quiet, inspirational distractions... I dunno, where is that?
So far it's been our place in Austin *shrugs*

IMHO mostly what Colin needs is some time and space to figure out what he wants and needs.
That will happen when it happens and when he's ready to decide, he will!
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

the sage
Bus Ad Archivist

Post by the sage » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:52 pm

1977 Sage Deluxe Campermobile

Visit VW Sage Ad World Today!

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:16 pm

"Keep it, fix it."

Easy to say.
The amount of history you've had with it though is... Well, it makes it different.

At the 4th Rendezvw Boe (opposite corner from the Hal camp) had a rebuilt front, and the damn thing looked spot on.

Breathe life into it. It almost feels wrong not to.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:19 pm

the sage wrote:Colin,

Just a thought...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=812102

A hundred and fifty bucks? Score!

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:22 am

the sage wrote:Colin,

Just a thought...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=812102
i've got one of those sitting in my backyard. its a lawn ornament under the fig tree. og paint, zero rust. no charge colin, but its in oregon.

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:52 am

justgimmecoffee wrote:hey, I learned all my social skills at the office. If someone's cubicle is cleaned out, that Aeron chair is up for grabs.
=D>
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:29 pm

My bus showed a great deal of involvement of major structural components with the collision box tying in all four front frame rails. I have a buckled front floor all the way over to the right side, a buckled roof, the front aisle between the seats was pulled left, the frame is shortened behind the front axle on the left, the passenger door didn't push back it actually pulled forward as the frame rails did their job, it is done. I want never-touched frame rails under my feet . . . damn straight.
Colin
Wow, that is really sad. I'm sorry.
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:08 pm

iwantmybustorun wrote:
My bus showed a great deal of involvement of major structural components with the collision box tying in all four front frame rails. I have a buckled front floor all the way over to the right side, a buckled roof, the front aisle between the seats was pulled left, the frame is shortened behind the front axle on the left, the passenger door didn't push back it actually pulled forward as the frame rails did their job, it is done. I want never-touched frame rails under my feet . . . damn straight.
Colin
Wow, that is really sad. I'm sorry.
I am busily trying to rewrite my connection to that car. It wasn't the car so much, it was who I am in relation to that car, that is what I have to hold front and center.

I loved that car. I know it is goofy. I gave psychological props over to that car no less than a four year-old gives to a favorite stuffed animal. Fortunately, I respect and understand a four year-old's needs. That is what needs fixing right now. :blackeye:

So I sit here at another Starbucks, staring at a Dodge Caravan in the lot with my VW dead in a collision shop yard halfway across the country, and I am still me and some future VW may be lucky enough to make my acquaintance. Or not. It may be cherished and taken care of and driven hard (but gently none-the-less) for many miles. Or not.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles