Road Warrior Meets Its End . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

theyellowsubmarine
I'm New!

Post by theyellowsubmarine » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:51 pm

Colin, just popped in for the first time in a while and I discover this! So sorry about the bus, but so glad that you are OK.

Alex in NH

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:02 pm

theyellowsubmarine wrote:Colin, just popped in for the first time in a while and I discover this! So sorry about the bus, but so glad that you are OK.

Alex in NH
Hey Alex. It is sort of ridiculous to pine for an old car, but thirty years is thirty years, and I am but 90 days out from it.
I am lucky to have another VW bus, and just have to get over the hurdle of now sacrificing it for the Cause of helping others across the country.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:02 am

Amskeptic wrote: ...and just have to get over the hurdle of now sacrificing it for the Cause of helping others across the country.
Colin
Sacrifice? I'll bet you get 30 years out of the BobD Bus, too.

But I understand what you mean--on the rare occations I have gotten a new car--I park so I didn't get door dings and all that for quite a while. So I know the feeling.
I'm still hoping you find the "beater" Bus you want to put through the road warrior paces, but then what will you do with BobD? Drive it on weekends only? Put it in a museum?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Hippie wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: ...and just have to get over the hurdle of now sacrificing it for the Cause of helping others across the country.
Colin
Sacrifice? I'll bet you get 30 years out of the BobD Bus, too.

But I understand what you mean--on the rare occations I have gotten a new car--I park so I didn't get door dings and all that for quite a while. So I know the feeling.
I'm still hoping you find the "beater" Bus you want to put through the road warrior paces, but then what will you do with BobD? Drive it on weekends only? Put it in a museum?
I am going to give the BobD the Full Life Treatment. When I look at how perfectly presentable and well-loved the Road Warrior was after thirty years, I do not give a damn to keep BobD in a sterile unused state of unshared perfection. Every beautiful child who makes it through life gets wizened and stooped and forgetful and tired and wrinkly, and I have it on good authority that they will get as saggy as any old bus's rear torsion bars. The last day I enjoyed the Road Warrior, it looked better than the day I bought it. I think I can do something like that with the BobD.
Colin

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:42 am

Colin is back, and the BobD will serve! Excellent! Awesome! :cheers:
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:40 am

Amskeptic wrote: I am going to give the BobD the Full Life Treatment. When I look at how perfectly presentable and well-loved the Road Warrior was after thirty years, I do not give a damn to keep BobD in a sterile unused state of unshared perfection. Every beautiful child who makes it through life gets wizened and stooped and forgetful and tired and wrinkly, and I have it on good authority that they will get as saggy as any old bus's rear torsion bars. The last day I enjoyed the Road Warrior, it looked better than the day I bought it. I think I can do something like that with the BobD.
Colin
=D>
I'm really happy to hear that.
We love ya, man!

Rob

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Ugh. I always laugh at myself for only coming to the IAC Forums to putz around in the Whatever Forums, but now I ain't laughing because I missed out on this whole episode. Not even an episode really... more like an emphatic, sorrowful period at the end of the last sentence of a long novel, then you close the book and sigh.

Wow. I wish I could read the whole thread but it takes 4EVER on my cell phone.

Very glad to hear that you'll drive BobD, and to hear the WAY you're talking about same. That bus deserves loving USE after the years loving preservation!

Bye bye, blue bus. Thanks for being a shining example of "what these marvelous cars are capable of... and you can TRUST them, people!" (Or some such Amskeptic quote/ode... not verbatim, of course.)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:06 pm

Velokid1 wrote:
I missed out on this whole episode.
I thought . . . I thought . . . I thought you didn't . . . . CARE :pale:
Colin
(naw, not really. I just found a Misszora post TODAY of the Maupin gathering from June! Made me misty.)