Road Warrior Meets Its End . . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:09 pm

How about a photo gallery of the wonder Bus in all it's glory?

At your place, on the road.......
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

flatlander
I'm New!

Post by flatlander » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:53 pm

Colin,
That's super super terrible. I'm really glad you're safe and were able to walk away from the accident.

Having seen a glimpse of your Helio Castroneves mad defensive driving skills in first person, I'm sure you and the Road Warrior were operating harmoniously as one to save your own lives. And I'm sure that your driving skills are what saved you (well, that and the Road Warrior). Here's hoping it looks worse for the bus than it actually is. But if the bus is too far gone, at least it was a noble end in saving your life.

As a side note, please please please don't let the 19 year old's insurance company low-ball you on your VW. We managed to get a relatively good price on the Squareback when it was hit and she's nowhere near as clean as your bus.
-Melissa

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Colin,
I am very happy that you walked away from this one, but am very sad to hear about the loss of your beautiful Road Warrior. That bus had memories and soul, and I can only imagine the pain of losing that. I hope that you are doing okay. Take care.

Kris
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:54 pm

I appreciate every response here. I visited the car today with Quadratruckseite's willing and welcome help, and the twisted metal made my stomach tighten, what unbelievable violence occurred to stuff a door pillar into the wheel well and buckle boxed frame rails. Fire chief mentioned that other driver admitted to partaking of "substances" prior to the crash, but apparently her blood test at the hospital was neutral.

Meanwhile last night I hear, the local cop was screaming at the fire chief (who had promised to get my itinerary cash and wallet from my bus before the tow) for disturbing a "felony crime scene" by going through my glovebox. What? Well, apparently, my little coffee stash in a bag was considered a drug by the cop while the fire chief was trying to explain to this overly excited cop that coffee grounds in a bag with a filter neatly folded up and two stir sticks might just be . . . . coffee! Huh? Ya think?

So sad. But you know what? I can let go easily enough when I realize that I gave that car five lives and it gave me innumerable friends.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:08 pm

Amskeptic wrote: I gave that car five lives and it gave me innumerable friends.
Colin
Yet another teary-eyed moment here in the Kootenays.

Onward, Colin!
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:25 pm

glasseye wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: I gave that car five lives and it gave me innumerable friends.
Colin
Yet another teary-eyed moment here in the Kootenays.

Onward, Colin!
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:48 am

I haven't posted on this site in more than a year, but when Don (VWlover) e-mailed me the news I felt real bad for a very good person. I just want to jump back on for a minute and wish you the best Colin. I hope and pray everything comes together for you.

I'm affraid defensive driving for the artful bus owner has become an even greater challenge in the land of the reckless driver.

In case I lose them, here are some shots of your old bus from June 2007...

cheesehead
Getting Hooked!

Post by cheesehead » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:24 am

Colin,
I am so glad you are alright, you are alright yes? You did give that sweet bus sooo much love and care, this does remind me that life can just happen in bad ways ahhh I hurt for you and will be thinking of you, take care my friend.
Peace
Meg

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:17 am

Colin, it looks like you are very lucky to be alive... and we are all very thankful for that.
I do have to yell at you a little however... I am so sad to see your bus in this condition, but YOU Colin, of all people, preach about not letting these great cars die. And now you are so quick to say yours has met its end? This doesn't seem right. Are you thinking this way just because you are still in shock?
I hope (no, I know) you will do all you can to salvage your loyal friend. It played a part in saving your life and you should play a part it trying to save its life.
Again, all that aside, a great life has been spared.
Christian
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:26 am

I'm very sorry to hear about the accident, Colin. And it sounds like you are keeping up a good attitude, you shouldn't worry about things you can't control.

However, I have a fairly decent 1976 parts bus if you think that the RW could be saved. It has a good front end, frame, and doors. It's in Minnesota, but yours if you could use it.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:27 am

Just heard about this...
Well you have a lot of people in your corner for what it's worth and we all love ya a hell of a lot.
Focus on what is real right now. Sadness is always engrained in migratory flesh or metal but the joy and wisdom you've brought each of us over the years is beyond value.
Getcher ass back on that saddle! :flower:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:55 am

hambone wrote: the joy and wisdom you've brought each of us over the years is beyond value.
Getcher ass back on that saddle! :flower:
Wow. Just wow. I wish I'd penned those words. :cheers:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 am

Colin,

DAMN! DAMN! DAMN! Glad you're okay but almost cried hearing about the Road Warrior. If you can fix it or you build a new one, you're welcome to anything in my parts stash. Anything! I have that '72 Shell if you wanna deal with the parts I pulled and the spray job.

Other drivers SUCK! (my new mantra)

Randy

[albumimg]2698[/albumimg]
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 am

Maybe that's the way to deal with it, to transplant as much of the remaining road warrior to a new body. A surrogate.

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:42 am

Always lived by the thought that every day you wake up is a victory.

Today Delores and I celebrate your great victory, may you have many more.