Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Illinois

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Illinois

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:04 am

It has been quite a journey so far. I put on some new tires, Michelin LTX MS 195-75-14s in Livonia Michigan and it has been nothing but wandering and darting and misbehavior. Jacked tire pressures up to 40/50, down to 32/44, no difference. Had a weird lurch to the left every time the car took a wind gust from the left. That sounded like too much toe-out on the rear (the loading up of the suspension causes rear wheel steering) so I pulled off the road and jacked up the right rear.

Loosened those big bolts/nuts holding the spring plate/diagonal arm/wheel bearing housing and kicked the entire mess forward, here you can see the matchmarks are now about 1/4" forward of the spring plate.

And here I have moved the tire in at the bottom to get rid of a little camber to match the left rear wheel's camber in the jacked state.

After tightening the bolts/nuts, I hit the road to enjoy some more fierce wind. And, indeed, the left lurching was now gone, but the wander was still apparent. So I then decided to reduce the positive camber on the right front wheel and remove a little toe-in on the front axle (positive camber requires a little toe-in, when you remove the positive camber, you remove a corresponding amont of toe-in). After this adjustment, the wander was a little better, but the steering was stickier (positive camber helps get the steering axis under the tread, negative makes the steering effort go up).

Then the skies opened up. Had a busy couple of days with Locoqueso followed by mattg, both of whom have very nice cars (here's while at Locoqueso's):

Tried to get to the Galena campout in nw Illinois when the skies opened up some more with even fiercer winds while on the narrowed I-90 corridor under construction. Finally called the gang in the mud out there and told them that I had decided to get booking to Montana.
Then the skies fell some more. . . next post.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

locoqueso
Addicted!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Illinois

Post by locoqueso » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:28 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Then the skies opened up. Had a busy couple of days with Locoqueso followed by mattg, both of whom have very nice cars (here's while at Locoqueso's):
Ahhh yes, I remember that moment. I was trying so hard not to drop the plug as I screwed it in. Thank you very much for your help Colin.
1978 VW Campmobile (P-21) Westfalia - T2 2.0L F.I.- 151,000m
1982 Mercedes-Benz Estate Wagon (300TD-T) - S123 3.0L T.D. - 142,000m
1993 Dodge Maxi Van (190 SLF) InterVec Falcon - B350 Magnum 5.9L F.I. - 70,000m

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:57 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Image
Is the diet coke necessary for this operation?

Missed you around the mud n flood campfire. We drank you cold beer after you called and wimped out on us. :geek:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:34 am

chitwnvw wrote:Missed you around the mud n flood campfire. We drank you cold beer after you called and wimped out on us. :geek:
I wanted to be there. I was cursing the gods for the rains and wind all the way to yesterday morning when they decided to snow on me instead . . . in JUNE, PEOPLE!!
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles