Unicoi State Park

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Unicoi State Park

Post by Sylvester » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:35 pm

It was my goal to camp there this weekend spur of the moment, but alas no one gets into the park on a 4th of July weekend! Are you kidding? A state park campsite on a 4th of July, spur of the moment? Will never happen, did not happen. I did drive the Bus to the park to scope it out, what a nice place. I aim to go there next week with the boys. Here is a preview, the North Georgia Mountains:

The lake after a rainstorm.

The river that feeds the lake.

Nice shots the whole way up the river. 10 miles if you feel the urge, however you ahve to turn around and come back. Now what sense does that make? Ah well.

Ruby Falls. Very nice.

Lots of trees. We even saw a doe and fawn walk right in from of the Bus on the trip around the lake. Did not have the camera at that moment. I will the next time.

Will we get a campsite next week? Is the park socked full for years to come, like the reserved seats at Fenway Park? Will Sylvester, Samantha the Bus and the boys be able to enjoy three days of camping in the North Georgia woods and take on the black bears, the does and fawns, the chiggers, poison ivy and the copperhead snakes? Stay tuned......
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

zabo
Old School!

Re: Unicoi State Park

Post by zabo » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:10 am

we might be headed up this way next weekend as well.

Have you tried the Upper chattahoochee campground? About 8 miles north of helen?
Beautiful..

http://www.chattahoocheemanagement.com/ ... oochee.htm
a fun 5 mile gravel road leads in to the campsite
60 beetle
78 bus

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:28 am

We usually have good luck the weekends before and after a major holiday... hope you can get in - looks like a nice place. Keep us posted.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:44 pm

Sure is purty. All that, and you don't camp more? Same story everywhere these days.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:50 am

I don't camp enough, that is true. I have two days reserved for next week during the week, I was going to do three days but with three boys there will be an end to how much they will want to camp.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:14 am

zabo wrote:we might be headed up this way next weekend as well.

Have you tried the Upper chattahoochee campground? About 8 miles north of helen?
Beautiful..

http://www.chattahoocheemanagement.com/ ... oochee.htm
a fun 5 mile gravel road leads in to the campsite
I will add this site to my camping map. Looks great to me, and that 5 mile gravel road will keep out some of the Tenderfoot fancy campers from Atlanta away. Here is a funny note. There are private campgrounds out here that are next to nothing,with scant trees and nary a lake, pond or creek. And they were FULL last weekend. That has to be as much fun as camping in a parking lot in summer.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:20 am

is that right north of helen as well? seen that rv park from the road-looks super lame
60 beetle
78 bus

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:40 am

zabo wrote:is that right north of helen as well? seen that rv park from the road-looks super lame

RV camping, hey when I hit 65 I may be full timing it like the other veteran retirees driving a 60 footer to all the military installations and camping for cheap. Zabo, Let me know when you go up North, we will be there until Saturday I think. Might do the tubing in Helen on the Chattahoochee. Last week it took us an hour and a half to get through there, what a tourist trap, but Bavaria in the Georgia Mountains, lots of people just can't resist an Alpine village reproduction.

Here we are going through Helen last week, all 91 degrees and at a crawl. I felt sorry for the bikers, they were in the sun right in front of us.

Here is Sam at the trading post in Unicoi. I like this park.

And Sam at a gas station near Hiawassee. That town was packed too.

I will post pictures of our trip in Unicoi next week.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:19 pm

Ok what do Sam the Bus, Sylvester and the boys, an Arby's sandwich with curly fries and a black bear have in common with Unicoi park?

How about a 300 pound black bear that tries to climb into Sam the Bus to get the delicious Arby's sandwich and curley fries while the one boy is in the pop top while Sylvester is on the other side of the Bus, walks to the other side and is face to face with the bear at a distance of two feet? What will happen to our heroes? You will have to wait until I get back from camping to hear the story and see the pictures! Same Bat time, same Bat channel!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:26 pm

On a side note I set the points and timed Sam before I left for Unicoi, then put on her twin Bug tailpipes (I know, not kosher but it was a free muffler) and Sam ran so nice and quiet the entire trip! No wonder that bear tried to get into Sam! Now that she is running top notch even the critters wan to drive it away!

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:36 am

Sylvester wrote:Ok what do Sam the Bus, Sylvester and the boys, an Arby's sandwich with curly fries and a black bear have in common with Unicoi park?

How about a 300 pound black bear that tries to climb into Sam the Bus to get the delicious Arby's sandwich and curley fries while the one boy is in the pop top while Sylvester is on the other side of the Bus, walks to the other side and is face to face with the bear at a distance of two feet? What will happen to our heroes? You will have to wait until I get back from camping to hear the story and see the pictures! Same Bat time, same Bat channel!
Yes, I hope you took plenty of pictures.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:55 am

Actually I did take some shots. Keep in mind it was getting dark in the woods, we were setting up camp when there was a ruckus in the camp. On the other side of us a black bear was making his rounds from one camp to the next. These spots were void of people so the bear visit their campers, looking for coolers. Right across from us he found these:

He knew this drill, he went straight for the coolers. Even thought there were about 20 people nearby watching, he had no fear going about his searching.

He was not too big, as you can see him standing here.

He left this spot, he could not move the coolers. So he went up the street.

Here is the thing, there was a huge gap between that campsite and the next, so he came over to the Bus and our camp. I put the camera down and put the boys in the Bus. He went to our tent and I tried to "BOO" him away. Our cooler was in the dining fly next to the Bus and me, he saw that and went around our stuff. He went to the next campground that "WAS" occupied by four men and four women, they took to the road and the black bear moved in for the kill.

The hapless Coleman cooler didn't have a chance. It was drug into the woods and shook violently, it's contents strewn roughly amongst the trees.. By this time some park maintenance men were on the scene and were trying to BOO the bear back into the woods. The bear, we will call him "Yogi" from here on out, was wary to face the men, and turned to leave his picnic goodies behind.

But Yogi was a hungry bear, hotdogs and raw hamburgers were just feet away, and despite two men pushing him further into the woods, Yogi turned against his pursuers and snatched a zip locked bag of goodies and fled into the depths of the woods with his victory!

The men returned a half an hour later. The people who had lost the cooler and a good friend (Whatever was in the bag I mean) asked the men and myself what the odds of the bear were returning. The Park Maintenance men assured them there was nothing to fear, while I added I bet he would be back since it was an easy place to get food, and he had "left" a lot of it behind. That was enough for the Eight is Enough crew next to us, they bugged out at 10:00PM and left us their extra wood and the story that this same bear had shadowed their camp for three days and they had had enough.

My 13 year old had enough too. My oldest and my youngest were of the thought he was like a stray dog, with the youngest picking up a fishing net and prepared to capture Yogi for a pet. My 13 year old climbed into the pop-top, and we finished putting up the camp. It became apparent he did not like the idea of a bear out there in the dark. He stayed there as we went about the camp tasks with me having the smallest boy next to me at all times.

About an hour later my 13 year old in the pop-top hollers where is the youngest, something is shaking the Bus. I reply he is next to me and there is nothing shaking the Bus. I approach the passenger side where I had all the doors opened, and saw nothing. I noticed the cot in front was still not done, so I went around the drivers side of the Bus.

Stepping around the door I was two feet from Yogi. I had forgot all about the Arby's roast beef sandwich in the bag on the floor board of the Bus from earlier. Apparently Yogi was int eh process of climbing in the drivers door when I walked around and met him personally. That explained the Bus shaking the 13 year old spoke of. Yogi hightailed it to the woods with me behind him once again yelling BOO and waving a flashlight. He hightailed it up the hill, while we decided to bug out ourselves and head for the lodge. I personally was not sure if we should have stayed or not, but we left and came back the next day and picked up the tent and fly.

This is the first time I had ever seen a bear in the wild after camping up here so many years. I did get my 13 year old a book on black bears and a small bear statue to remember our night with Yogi. We did camp the next night but on the islands of Lake Lanier. No bears there but lots of yellow jackets, rain and wind.

Me and the Boys from Unicoi.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:29 am

I wonder if some editing can be done to those pictures. It is hard to see a dark bear in the dark.
But, what a trip that must have been for you.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:40 am

we were up there as well but just for a short 1 nighter- sat to sunday at the upper chatahoochee campgrounds.
This time we stayed on the opposite side of the campground- away from the river.

Nice drive in site but still pretty private. This one had a nice creek running behind it.

We too saw a bear- right in the middle of the road about 5 miles north of helen on 75.
Just hanging out. I had to do a lot of light flashing and horn beeping to save him from the crazy mountain drivers.

A better section of the 5 mile gravel road - into the campgroundImage

60 beetle
78 bus

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:28 am

steve74baywin wrote:I wonder if some editing can be done to those pictures. It is hard to see a dark bear in the dark.
But, what a trip that must have been for you.
That IS with editing, you could not see the bear at all from the originals, it was dusk and he is black. When I ran into him later, it was like seeing a dark shadow in the night, he moved with no noise at all and it was like watching a ghost move away from you.

I love that area and that time was probably as good of weather we were going to get in July. Most of the campers in that park had air conditioners. When we stayed at Lanier, I had my trust small box fan to keep me and the youngest cool. I will give a high rating for the Colman tent I have, the wind blew off the lake hard Thursday night then it commenced to rain. The tent stayed up, and we didn't get a drop of rain in the tent.