Bob and Hal Camp - Augooost 13-15 2010

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:54 am

Sure looks like it'll just be you & me this trip .. everyone else is a bunch a poopyheads.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:15 am

I don't mind. However it is foolish to put so much hype and planning into trips where no one shows. Well we had a good run, maybe it's time to move on. It is weird though, our NW IAC trips were something very special.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:33 am

I will make it to more (well, more then none :blackeye: ) bad year to plan for me but I (and I hope others) should make a stronger effort to get out.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:44 am

Just went back and counted, 6 IAC camps this year. Only 1 was attended by someone other than myself! :cyclopsani:
People have busy lives, I understand. It's just such a drastic change from previous years.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:43 pm

True, we have had some great campouts.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:15 pm

Hey, I got to every IAC campout between June 2009 and June 2010 that I was able to attend. :pale:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Does Nehalem Bay count? I even made that one!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:36 pm

I see your frustration Bob - Don't give up. I guess you just keep on letting us know where you're gonna be and we keep trying to make it work. I wanted to go to this one with you and Hal, but my daughter's birthday takes priority. Too many priorities I guess for everyone. I can say that the IAC camps I've been to have been great fun. I always ask myself as I drive back through Estacada -"why don't I do this more often". In fact, before the time we went to South Pyramid, I'd never really done dispersed camping at all - you, Gypsie, Dtrout, Spiffy, and Westy78 were a catalyst for something I've really grown to love doing. I really see and know why you love it out there and I despite my ability to make many of the camps, I've come to feel the exact same way and have grown more appreciative of this beautiful area I've taken for granted as being right next door. I guess the point is to get out there and enjoy camping -whether it be with or without me and and any of these other yay-hoos (although a few yay-hoos can add to the fun no doubt). In the meantime, I'll look forward to a nice dutch oven meal in the near future at some camp spot out in the middle of nowhere as gratitude to you for your inspiration.

-'72 Westy-

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:38 pm

dtrumbo wrote:Does Nehalem Bay count? I even made that one!
Was beer consumed, wood burned, or music played? Sure it counts!! :cheers:

Although, the pavement and being in cell phone range counts as a demerit. :blackeye:
-'72 Westy-

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks Troy! These camps have really been a high point in my life.
Yeah I'm a selfish bastard. But not only that, I don't want to be Pro Stalin/Post Soviet. Things do run their course. Nobody wants to go to Milhouse's birthday party either. :pirate:

If I have inspired folks to go and do their own thing, then that's all I've wanted all along. Some could say it's my mission.

P.S. really dig the beard, is that you!!?!!???

The hardest thing is coming home when you're already home.

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Yes- that's me. It grew in way red - never had a beard before. Funny story on our way home this weekend, we stopped at Lil' Crater Lake (near Timothy lake) and there was a group of Harley bikers that were there taking in the sights. I looked over to my wife and rubbing my chin, I said proudly, "I'm more grizzled than half those bikers right there." At which point my wife said, "you look like Danny Bonaduce"! Nothing like a good wife to keep your ego in check. We had a good laugh out of it though.

Lets discuss some campin at the Lab tonight - I'm gonna be there.
-'72 Westy-

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:46 pm

hambone wrote:Yeah I'm a selfish bastard.
Yeah, you bastard. Tis funny (well not so) how this past year we're all busy doing other stuff. DON"T stop posting gathering opportunities...for the past five years we've had MANY a great campout, even if it was you and me...or an add'l bus or five. I'll look at my calendar (can do it now, but it is ever changing) and set a date for the White River excursion I've been threatening. Hoopus, aroopus. Dtrout....and Troy, you even got the killer D-oven lid lifter. You've come a long ways to effective cooking :geek:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:13 pm

deschutestrout wrote:Troy, you even got the killer D-oven lid lifter. You've come a long ways to effective cooking :geek:
You'd be proud-a-me! I even got the green cabela's carrying case you recommended. Between my wife and I, we've made potato stew, chicken pot pie, enchilada soup and even some pancakes and bacon using the lid as a griddle. I still like a frank on a stick once in a while though, but this dutch oven cooking is my new favorite thing.
-'72 Westy-

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Yes Troy. Tis fun and you can make just about anything. Boys and I went camping last week and found the D-oven works GREAT for store-bought pizza. More coals on top than below...some of the best frozen pizza I've tasted...easy and crowd/kid pleaser for sure.
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Yes, I quickly learned the baked items need much less briquettes on the bottom and more on top. Burned my attempt at peach cake over at diamond lake. The top was yummy though.

Gotta start a d-oven thread here one of these days.
-'72 Westy-