Oregon Coast 4th of July Weekend

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

patayres
I'm New!

Oregon Coast 4th of July Weekend

Post by patayres » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 am

We headed over to Cape Perpetua for the holiday weekend. Drizzly drive over Friday morning but the rest of the weekend provided us with plenty of sunshine and mild temps.

Scored a set of Thule 953/Super High towers & crossbars on Craigslist last week... timing was perfect as it allowed me to transport the 11'3" stand-up paddle board. The rear towers & bar can be removed & replaced in a couple of minutes for popping the top... and no drilling/mounting into the fiberglass top required :cyclopsani:

First-come sites at Cape P campgrounds... got lucky with this nice private spot.

After setting up & paying for the camp site, we quickly headed out for Yachats. Bloody Mary, clam chowder, and World Cup put us in a great mood as we headed back to camp for the evening.

The Cape P campground offers some nice hikes through old growth forest.

Sunday we drove up to Newport to spend the afternoon with friends and spend some time in the ocean. Inaugural wave riding with the SUP -- what a blast. Now if I can teach my wife how to use the zoom function on the camera...

1975 Westfalia Helsinki - 1800 EFI w/ Pertronix
1965 Singlecab - 1600dp

Ritter
IAC Addict!

Post by Ritter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:24 pm

Gads, that's purdy!

Clam chowder, bloody marys and World Cup? Died and gone to heaven....
1978 Westfalia 2.0 FI

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 pm

That looks like a great weekend, Pat. I bet the crappy 4th of July weekend weather helped to keep the crowds down. I haven't surfed in about two years - I used to go 4 or 5 times a year. Still have my board and suit, but barely ever use it. Surfing is difficult even in near-equator climates, but especially on the Oregon Coast with 4/3 neoprene and less than optimal consistency of waves. One thing is true, the stoke of riding a wave is really something special.

Your photos are REALLY nice.
-'72 Westy-

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Oregon72 wrote: Your photos are REALLY nice.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:35 pm

tasty. i need to get out there asap.

patayres
I'm New!

Post by patayres » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:52 am

I haven't surfed in about two years - I used to go 4 or 5 times a year. Still have my board and suit, but barely ever use it.
Well let's meet up over there and get wet! IAC Surf & Camp 2010 :bounce:

The SUP really made the surfing process different and fun. One thing that I noticed right away was being WARMER -- not using the hands to paddle and a more buoyant board... I could sit on the board in the chop with my legs out in front of me and paddle out through the rip & just barely get wet. Turning that 11'3" plank wasn't exactly easy but it's a learning process & I've seen guys use the paddle as a pivot and whip their boards around. Helps to step back and sink the tail (so they say).

Seriously... look at the calendar & let me know. We try to get to the coast at least once a month during the summer. Any other NW IAC surfers out there want to join us?
1965 Singlecab - 1600dp

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Pat, let me know the next time you plan to go and I'll try to make it work. A night stay or a day trip even. I usually go to the typical spots cuz I'm a poser and a kook and I don't want to get my bus "waxed" at some local's only secret spot ...and I pretty much suck at surfing. :blackeye:
-'72 Westy-

patayres
I'm New!

Post by patayres » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Will do Troy. I don't even try Seaside because of its reputation for localism & scumbags. We have friends in Newport that surf frequently and have had no negative experiences spending time at Agate & Otter Rock... matter of fact, the bus was a hit with the locals at Agate this past weekend.
1965 Singlecab - 1600dp

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:26 am

Aren't there some tasty waves just south of Cannon Beach....Uh...Oswald West...?

Would love to try. Just have to find an xl wetsuit...Or sit on the beach and keep the fire toasty while shouting words of encouragement and making smartaleck comments twixt beers...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....