Louisiana & Texas back roads & camp spots ?

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Louisiana & Texas back roads & camp spots ?

Post by midatlanticys » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:15 pm

My wife and I'll be back in Jackson, MS in mid September and wandering further West through Louisiana & Texas for six or so weeks. We'd love a cross section of your ideas of good scenic byways, river/lakeside and/or wilderness camping areas, small town music festivals, VW gatherings, any *must see/must do* as well as what to avoid. We try to miss Interstates & large cities if at all possible, much preferring the calm and quiet of the slow lane and the outback! Thanks Much!! =D> . . . . . . wish we were leaving tomorrow! :bounce:
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Can't help with the local things to see, but do get a Gazetteer book for each of the states you want to explore. No comparison to a regualr roadmap.
Like these: http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Atlas-Gazet ... 0899332609

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:08 pm

Where in Texas?
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:54 pm

when driving 82 between wichita falls and paris i came upon a place called hagarman up along the red river. on my atlas there was an official campground, but damn if nearly found it. i got well off the beaten track and bus boondocked deep in the reserve. i had the best night sleep ever-ever. the bird calls in the night were amazing. my dreams were over the top. memorable as the top five sleeps of my life. what a trip. made texas worth while.

next day i drove from texarcana to shreveport. then 71 and 84 to natchez. man i thought i'd smelled pine in maine, but you haven't smelled pine until you cross central louisiana late afternoon into early evening. just one of them things. enjoy!

midatlanticys
Addicted!

Post by midatlanticys » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks for the replies!! . . . . Hippie, we've been Gazetteer fans for a looong time and will also have "The Roads of Texas" onboard.

Z, we're not sure, as it's such a huge state - what are your favorite parts for wandering/discovering and finding Skin Daddio's deep woods Red River boondocks type tranquility?

We also need to hook up with CK at some point for, among other things, the return of a Gumout can we swiped from him last time around :flower:
"The sad thing about governments is that in every single case, government formed by the people eventually becomes so large it begins to prey upon the people who created it.” -- B. Hoover