Seeking Michigan Camping Advice *Trip Report*

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

yondermtn
Old School!

Seeking Michigan Camping Advice *Trip Report*

Post by yondermtn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:33 pm

We're thinking about taking a trip to Michigan from Chicago. We'd go up the Lake Michigan shore. Thinking about checking out Sleeping Bear Dunes and the Traverse City area.

I'm interested in cool places to camp, scenic drives/hikes, must-see attractions, good eats, cool towns, things to avoid, etc.

We'd be doing this in July or August and are fairly flexible with the whole trip.

Thanks in advance.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:53 pm

We were in Petoskey last year for a wedding and it was ritzy... way too rich for my blood. Seriously, everyone was driving a late model Benz convertable. I couldn't believe how many Porsches, BMWs, Audis, Lexii, etc... luckily we had taken the Ghia and slipped under the radar. Million dollar vacation homes that had no heat because they just board them up in the winter. A different lifestyle for sure.

We came around through the upper peninsula so I won't be able to offer much insight. I hear the dunes are amazing down that way though. Be sure to keep good notes so I can steal your advice for our future trips!
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:14 pm

We got a bunch of books from the library and found several comments about some areas being ritzy. We want to avoid that.

We intend to find the off-the-beaten-path highlights of the area. :alien:
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:23 pm

yondermtn wrote:We got a bunch of books from the library and found several comments about some areas being ritzy. We want to avoid that.
I'm not kidding you, it was like Martha's Vineyard of the midwest. I didn't think people actually lounged around with sweaters draped over their necks near tennis courts sipping wine yadda yadda. A real eye opener.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:37 pm

Glory, glory gloryoski
Jesus lives in Petosky
Floating through the breeze
With the greatest of ease
Jesus saves, Jesus saves, Jesus saves...

Depending on how you like crowds, the Cherry Festival runs July 3 through 10: http://visit.cherryfestival.org/ . Lots of stuff to do and see, including the Blue Angels. Probably want to check for campsite availability, though.

I've camped at the dunes, its OK. http://www.nps.gov/slbe/index.htm

I would recommend a day trip to South Manitou Island. There are a number of museums in the area, and I particularly remember this little maritime museum right in the town of Empire across the street from a place that serves breakfast.

Really, just hanging out in TC can be fun. Its a tourist town, through and through. I'd also recommend at least a few winery tours while you're up there. Chateau Grand Travers has the best wines still, I believe, but if they are still in business, Boskydel has by far the best view and the most crotchety people (which I thought was fun). Hey! They're still there! http://www.boskydel.com/

On that subject, while going through Kalamazoo you HAVE to stop at Larry Bell's place. http://www.bellsbeer.com/ I've met Larry several times, and so far nothing compares to his beer (IMHO). I hate it that I can't get it out here. And if you are adventurous and like unique wines, I'd recommend Peterman and Sons: http://www.naturalwine.net/ . I got to meet the old man about 20 years ago -- he was a total hoot. Call ahead, don't expect too much, but he wines are unique.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:56 am

Good stuff from Meyer! Although Bell's may be out of your way a tad bit.
Sleeping bear Dunes is nice area. I've went to a festival in that area, and it was beautiful up there. Very close to the lake. And the lake is magnificent up that way. And if you want to catch some music, check this out in early August.
http://dunegrassmusicfestival.org/
Great talent from around the state of Michigan!

Later in August, if you have any music festival interest, there is also this festival. I'm hoping to hit this one. Maybe my bus maiden voyage!
http://hoxeyville.com/

I've never been to the cherry festival, but it does attract ALOT of visitors. I'll try to think of some more camping spots.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:15 am

We spent about 6 days "up north" and it exceeded our expectations. I'll write a report with pics when I get home. The lakeshore is amazing up there .
We are in Indy for a Phish fix now. Lots of buses in the lot to check out.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:35 am

yondermtn wrote:We spent about 6 days "up north" and it exceeded our expectations. I'll write a report with pics when I get home. The lakeshore is amazing up there .
We are in Indy for a Phish fix now. Lots of buses in the lot to check out.
LOTS of pictures too!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:24 am

We left the Chicago area at about 2pm.

Drove to Ludington, MI where we slept in a Walmart lot for a few hours.
I woke up at 345am and filled up with gas and headed North. 5 miles out of town the bus died. We were in a safe spot, so I decided to go back to sleep until daylight. An hour later the bus started up and we were on our way.

Arrived at Sleeping Bear Dunes. There was a line for the campground and we were told that we just missed the last available site. :pale: But, they said they would see what they could do. The camp hosts were super nice and they made it happen, we got a spot. :compress:

We were in the DH Day campground which is considered "rustic" meaning pit toilets, no electric, and no showers. This doesn't bother us one bit. The sites aren't the most private and there were lots of kids running around, but overall it was pretty peaceful. There is so much to do that we didn't hang at the site for all that much anyhow.

Boardwalk to the beach from the campground.

Lots of campers walk to the beach for the spectacular sunsets. Many people have fires right on the beach.

We swam in one of the many beaches in the park at least once a day. The water was very clear and just the right temperature. Plenty of space on the beach too.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o116 ... G_1235.jpg

The town of Glen Arbor is about 1 mile from the campground. From there we rented kayaks for a 3.5hr float down the Crystal River. It was lots of fun. Most of it is in the park. We saw a family of otters playing on a sandbar.

The famous "Dune Climb" from the parking lot.

From the top looking at one of the inland lakes.

Stopping for fresh produce at one of the many roadside stands.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:34 am

Campground number 2. About 30 miles North. Leelenau State Park.

Wrenching at the site.

Road thru the campground. Many sites are right on the water. The beaches are rocky and shallow here, but we still went swimming.

From there we drove South to Traverse City for a night in a hotel! Lots of touristy stuff in TC and many great restaurants. A nice place for a day or two.
The shower felt great :blackeye:

From Traverse City we drove to Indianapolis with an overnight at Potato Creek State Park near South Bend, IN. It was a bit too much of an RV park, but good enough for one night's rest. And another beach. After seeing Phish 2x in Indy we drove back to the Chicago area.

Overall a great trip. We are already talking about going back to Sleeping Bear Dunes again. There is a lot to do there and the shoreline is awesome. Glen Arbor is a great little town to have nearby as well.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:13 am

Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing.
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:48 am

Great pics! Looks like you did have a great time!

If you make a return trip to northern Michigan, in August, there are a couple of nice music festivals going on that time of year.

http://hoxeyville.com/

and

http://dunegrassmusicfestival.org/

Thanks for sharing the pictures! How was Phish? Didn't make it to Indy. Did go saturday to Alpine.
Potato Creek is about a 1/2 hour from me. More of an RV type state park, as you said. But decent, nontheless.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:23 pm

I'd love to hit up Hoxeyville, but meeting family in Wisconsin that weekend. The lineup looks great this year. I like to see Greensky Bluegrass as much as I can.

We were up there during Dunegrass, but had too much going on to fit it in.

Phish was great in Indy. It was nice to be back at Deer Creek again.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:08 pm

yondermtn wrote:I'd love to hit up Hoxeyville, but meeting family in Wisconsin that weekend. The lineup looks great this year. I like to see Greensky Bluegrass as much as I can.

We were up there during Dunegrass, but had too much going on to fit it in.

Phish was great in Indy. It was nice to be back at Deer Creek again.
I'm an idiot. I see I posted those festival sites in my other post. Duh.
I wish I had gone to the Creek. Hopefully next summer. But it was also nice to get back to Alpine. Great memories from that place!
Maybe next year we'll have to get together and carabus up to Hoxeyville! The lineup is excellent this year, but we won't make it.