To the Death Valley!

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

To the Death Valley!

Post by Xelmon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:31 am

As I have told some of you, I have gone off to the Death Valley for a spring break trip...

"Well, here is your expanded update from DV.

We arrived Friday around 10PM to Redding, and there got a good nights sleep. Saturday we headed down, and choose to go the route of Bakersfield via Hwy-178, up to DV. Sadly, the road was a ton of winding in it, so we got limited to about 25mph for a good stretch. By the time we got out of the Sequoia, it was dusk. By the time we got even close to DV - say, 100 miles - it was hella dark. When we finally got near to top off the winding road, I nearly bumped into two huge asses that were in each lane of the road... Since I'm peacefully writing this email, you can see that I avoided the collision.

Otherwise we are enjoying the sunshine, ATM it's really damn windy, but still good weather. There is internet at the visitor center, but it's only from 9-3, which is really damn odd. Oh well, they prolly have sat internet...

Anyways, further updates will come later, we will leave DV Friday, and head over to San Fran, spending Fri-Sat there, and finally heading home in a one sitter from San Fran to PDX on Sunday."

I'll see you PDX-ers on the 29th's meet, I'll be going down there for sure. Other days, well, the usual.

On a side note, I have an in for a job at PSU, so I have high hopes for getting work, to get crap! XD

See you guys later!

Sidenote: I have seen 3 other subarus than ours, and 3 other VW's, a newer bay and 2 vanagons. Otherwise, this is truck/SUV country.

gorge runner
Getting Hooked!

Post by gorge runner » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:00 am

I was down in DV too from the 23rd through the 29th.

We came in from the north along the Eastern Sierra. Met a buddy in Nevada City then drove down 395 -- totally gorgeous! Stayed the night in Bishop, then camped at Eureka Dunes three nights.

We entered Death Valley proper from the north and spent some time up toward Telescope Peak off the Westside Road and then spent a few nights in and around Cottonwood Canyon.

We did meet two ladies in a very nice Syncro from PDX on our way out of Cottonwood -- stopped and chatted for half an hour and headed back to Bishop, Nevada City, Mt. Shasta and finally PDX.

Marc
91 Vanagon Carat
It's not "air-cooled", but it does have an air compressor. Does that count?

http://www.nextrevcreative.com

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 am

Ahhaa, icic.

I went in I-5, Bakersfield, and that road... (IIRC 178) which was bad news. What a winding road.
Then hung out on the south end of the park, the north end was Eh with a lot of construction, and the west (telescope) was not quite exactly opened, so eh.

Drove back 395 way, which is Indeed very nice. Through Tahoe, down to San Fran, 2 days there, and then home we came...

It was one Bloody short spring break.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:44 am

Death Valley sounds like a challenge I would love to do. Any pictures?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

gorge runner
Getting Hooked!

Re:

Post by gorge runner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Sylvester wrote:Death Valley sounds like a challenge I would love to do. Any pictures?
I've got a few here:

Marc
91 Vanagon Carat
It's not "air-cooled", but it does have an air compressor. Does that count?

http://www.nextrevcreative.com

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Re:

Post by Sylvester » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:53 am

gorge runner wrote:
Sylvester wrote:Death Valley sounds like a challenge I would love to do. Any pictures?
I've got a few here:

Marc
I like the car shot, very nice. I still want to drive through Death Valley in the Bus, on my way to San Francisco. And I will do it! Most likely next year. I have driven in the desert before but not in the US, this is a few of us in United Arab Emirates in 2004 during a driving safari. I like the scenery of those Death Vally shots much better.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: To the Death Valley!

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 pm

I dunno, I think I'd rather vacation in Happy Valley, or someplace WITHOUT the zombie hordes.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:46 am

Happy Valley is mostly populated by zombie hordes. Trust me, I've driven through parts of it a time or two and the soulless vacant stares you get are .. creeepy.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 am

Ok maybe not THAT Happpy Valley.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat