Boat savy? Deschutes trip?

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Boat savy? Deschutes trip?

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:53 pm

Just puttin' feelers out. Any of you clowns good on the oars? I can float two with me in my driftboat. But if any others are wantin' in...we need another boat runner or three. Mainly class I and II rapids, with one butt-kickin' class IV and a couple other spots where you better be sober and on your game. No particular date yet...just checkin' for interest and experience. Could be a hoot!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:11 pm

I have no experience but I'd love to go!
(I rowed a boat around Olallie once)
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:07 am

Ya just keep the pointy end down stream right? Which end of the oar is pointy? I've done some ''oaring'' in my past. Never got very good at sculling though.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

justgimmecoffee
Old School!

Post by justgimmecoffee » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:54 am

man, if I were ten years younger... even five, I'd go. Sounds like a blast.

Me and my buddy used to raft on the Rogue river all the time. Did it at night once, too. Great idea til we came to the dam.

Never raft at night. Unless you have to.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:36 pm

justgimmecoffee wrote:man, if I were ten years younger... even five, I'd go.
Eh sonny, what 'er ya, ninety or somethin'? Eh? My father-in-law rowed the Deschutes everyday all summer long until he was 70. He is an icon on the Deschutes...longest running guide ever. Not to make you "feel bad" or anything :geek:

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:40 pm

IF I am in shape, I'd be willing to try the Class I/II. I've incorporated rowing into my workout... so do you think that 3 months of it might be enough if I push the envelope?
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:00 pm

deschutestrout wrote:
justgimmecoffee wrote:man, if I were ten years younger... even five, I'd go.
Eh sonny, what 'er ya, ninety or somethin'? Eh? My father-in-law rowed the Deschutes everyday all summer long until he was 70. He is an icon on the Deschutes...longest running guide ever. Not to make you "feel bad" or anything :geek:
I have negotiated pig aluminum Grumman canoes through the sizzling 12" rapids of the famous Delaware River laden with the precious offspring of wealthy Long Island elites, "paddle! your mommy isn't going to save you if you go broadside into those rocks!" A strong J-stroke is your friend when the front forgets to paddle because "there's a bug!"
Watching them pirouette slowly into the chute was hair-raising entertainment.
"I gob wed add I gat fide by gladdes," "they're right here STOOPIT, if you got the sandwiches wet, you're DEAD!" echoing across the summer hills of the Poconos. . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Ahh the Poconos, my family has a place up on Promised Land lake....
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Re: Boat savy? Deschutes trip?

Post by Bookwus » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Hiya Mark,
deschutestrout wrote:.......one butt-kickin' class IV.......
Is that Oak Springs?

I've only got rubber boat experience, no aluminum drifters in my background. Still, I'm always up for getting wet.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:09 am

Mark, can you please explain the difference between Class I, II, etc.?

Can you also give me an idea of what the boating would be like? BTW, Jeffrey said he'd do the Class I/II, no problem. :flower:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:22 am

zblair wrote:Mark, can you please explain the difference between Class I, II, etc.?
Rapids are rated on a difficulty scale of class I through class VI. It is a bit subjective, and classes often depend on water levels (i.e., a rapid that is class II may turn into a class III if the water level is different than "normal". Some rapids get more difficult with more flow, some actually get more difficult with less flow...depends on the topography of the river walls and bottom)

Class one is typically small, riffle type waves. Piece of cake.
Class two is slightly bigger waves, possibly standing waves that curl back at you, no real obstacles to worry about. Point the boat straight at the waves and go for it.
Class three are bigger waves, often on a curve of the river requiring more manuevering, rocks and other obstacles.
Class four is bigger waves yet, visible and hidden obstacles, requires more abililty to "read" the water and the currents, general faster moving
Class five rapids are the scarrrrry ones you've seen river runners do on TV thru the Grand Canyon, etc. Drops, small waterfalls, lots of obstacles and potential for unplanned swimming. I've never run a class five, and really have no desire to...I like being IN my boat, thank you very much.
Class six is unrunnable.

Bookwus, no the rapid on the overnight stretch is Whitehorse Rapids, about 20-25 miles or so above Maupin. It's about a two mile stretch of class II and III rapids, with the 1st 300 yards or so of Class III+. The top section has a prominent rock called "Oh Shit!" (no kiddin' that's what the rock is named...check all the Deschutes guide books) and another one called "Can Opener" but many of us call that one "Oh F*&k!" If you're to the right of "Oh F*&k", you're not gonna hit "Oh Shit!" If you're to the left of "Oh F*&k!", you'll know how the other rock got its name :cyclopsani: Sinks several driftboats a year.

Just to clarify, this isn't an outing I'm proposing during the RendezVW in Maupin, but for some other time down the road...hopefully with another skilled boater or two.

But, during the RendezVW, there is a GREAT day trip that runs about 14 miles in the Maupin area with class I, II and a couple of III+ (Wapinitia, Boxcar and Oak Springs). One of the local outfitters offers discounts to VW folks during the weekend, will cost you around $60-80 per person and is a blast. Or, you can rent inflatable kayaks and do it yourself. If you're not experienced at reading water, you may take a swim...but, many, many 1st timers rent the kayaks and do the run on their own. Hope all this info helps! If you're traveling to the RendezVW, you definitely should take advantage of the local rafting! :cheers:

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:34 am

Hiya Mark,
deschutestrout wrote:.............If you're traveling to the RendezVW, you definitely should take advantage of the local rafting!......
Yep, for sure. Doesn't make too much sense to camp next to one of America's premier whitewater experiences and not get wet.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:37 am

And there is all that beer-insides-wetting too. And of course the post-beer-insides-wetting. I'm looking forward to the nice gentlemen's valet when you get cologne and a nice mint shaped like a tiny bus. Classy.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:37 pm

I may be in, depending on my bus/financial/schedule situation when it happens, like usual. I did the American R. in CA when I was younger, I think it was classIII tops that day.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:33 am

how would the trip be in a sea kayak could i portage around the rapids? :pirate:
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.