Mid Sept, Mid Cascades?

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:14 pm

Just got back not too long ago.

Despite a damp cooling change in the forcast, it was a nice relaxing time, with cool people, plenty of great music, incredible dutch oven cooking, and of course VWs.

Attendees - Deschutestrout and his two boys, Gypsie, DJEep and his girlfriend, Spiffy, Hambone, Westy78, and me.

Hambone, Gypsie, and I were blessed enough to be able to locate an old abandoned NF trail. Hambone can comment on this because I know so little about the history, I can't do it justice. Very fun hunting for this long lost treasure.

Here's the link to the album.

http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr28 ... 20Campout/

And a little taste -

Can't wait to see some of the pics the others took as I feel like I missed some good moments.

Troy
-'72 Westy-

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Wiped out by a critter as small as an ant...talk about humbling.
With all the brushy stumbling around I do it's amazing this hasn't happened yet. Well at least it's not fatal.
Troy I'm SO SORRY I crapped out, I really wanted to explore S. Pyramid. If you ever want to go on a day trip lookin for trails let me know. Same goes for th rest o' you.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

misszora
IAC Addict!

Post by misszora » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:00 pm

hambone wrote:Wiped out by a critter as small as an ant...talk about humbling.
With all the brushy stumbling around I do it's amazing this hasn't happened yet. Well at least it's not fatal.
Dang! What kinda spider was it? How's the wound? Are you going to see a doctor tomorrow? Yikes!!!!
Miss Zora - '77 VW Riviera Hard Top Campmobile
Dharma Bug - '69 VW Bug
The Vandejo - '74 VW Westfalia Poptop (former mom)

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:58 pm

hambone wrote:Wiped out by a critter as small as an ant...talk about humbling.
Troy I'm SO SORRY I crapped out, I really wanted to explore S. Pyramid. If you ever want to go on a day trip lookin for trails let me know. Same goes for th rest o' you.
Hambone - absolutely no need to apologize, you had welt-like hives all over and I was afraid your trachea would close up any second - that's nothing to mess around with. Gypsie was thinking on his toes and suggested the benadryl and luckily DJ had one. Friends helping friends.
There will be other opportunities, just glad your feeling a bit better.

Spiders - Silent but deadly.
Spiffy, you know what else is silent but deadly?? a scorpion of course :profileleft:
-'72 Westy-

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:30 pm

Glad I was able to make this one. Mellow was the vibe.

Live entertainment.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=POKlXXy-amk

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NAwHxZBleGU

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:50 pm

That campy trip was much fun! Thanks all for participating, and thanks for being patient with my younguns. 5 and 7 year old boys...if I had a fraction (slightly larger fraction anyway) of their energy. Three nights is the longest I've been out with just my two boys (well, three if you count Zoomer...and no Liveonjg, he was not wearing his coat). They were troopers considering the sometimes questionable weather. Thanks again, hope they didn't bug ya'll tooooo bad, cept you Jasan, you need a good buggin' every now and again :geek: :geek: . Was great to see you all, and meet Troy...he's a good addition to the campin' group. Bob, hope you're feeling better...thought what may have happened if Zane or Eli was the recipient of the bite...we'd likely gone down the hill to the hospital in Redmond, that sucker packed a punch for sure! Still unpackin' wet stuff. Beautiful spot! Later, Mark
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:12 pm

Hiya Bob,

I know you are not feeling well and probably not at the top of your game right now, but.................

This spider bite business is kinda interesting. Could you determine the species? How did you get bit? Was this bite locted in an extremity? Did the benadryl help? Did you try icing the bite down? Any attempt to suck out the venom? How are your symptoms now?

Yep, this the active time of the year for the eight-leggers. Especially with the warm weather we have had around here for the past three weeks.

Hope you're feeling better and looking forward to getting back into the great outdoors. I would have penciled in this trip but my deck was calling to me......."fix me, fix me" And the kitchen sink sprang a leak. And I had to repair the toilet. My weekend was lousy, I should have gone anyway.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:21 pm

Suck out the venom. Now, now, now. That technique has been thrown away for some time now. Swell your tongue and tie your throat in a knot at the same suckage. We missed you Bookwus...you need to come to one of our trips! Keep an eye on the '08 Snowcamp thread...twill be heatin' up soon!

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Mark - your kids were being kids - diggin', make believin', pyro'in, and have a great time with dad out in the woods. I think Gypsie captured a photo that might sum up the trip for those boys. (Gypsie, can you post that one for us).

Jasan - Thanks for those YouTubes - I should have recorded some of the ear-candy. What a treat - I love that you can hear the fire cracklin' in the background. Doesn't get much better than that. The first thing I told my wife when I got home was how incredible the music was that you guys played.

As I drove home, I couldn't help but think about the dutch-oven stew last night and how it was kinda like a metaphor for the whole trip - everybody bringing something to the table, coming as they were, mixing together over a campfire, and creating something pure, simple, and good.

Thanks for the memories.

Troy
-'72 Westy-

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:52 am

=D>

Very nice trip. My bus had a case of the bucka-bucks on the way out...got me kind of worried but I stopped in Sisters and adjusted the idel down and got a fresh tank of gas. Whatever it was one of those two things got rid of the bucka-bucks.....thank goodness.

Sorry you got laid out Bob, always a drag to have something go haywire in the midst of having fun...my back thing tainted that trip for me.

Thanks again, as always.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:57 am

Great fun!

Nice to finally meet Ant'ny, Rachel and Mickey

Troy will definitely be a nice addition to the outback wanderings.

Quick overview (Pre-Westy78)

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r50/ ... yramid.flv

on the way:

lots of shots of trees but I wanted to share some individual pzazz:
O72's rierview:

Guess who 'thinks he can':

You got it:

Hike prep:

I think this is the shot o72 mentions. Brothers hangin'; Teachin', learnin', Brotherin':

Found the motherload of huckleberries and set to pickin':

Then set to pancakes:

I'm only a little bummed that I didn't get to zap Bob with my Epi-Pen. :pirate:

Hope you're feelin' better.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

coilette
I'm New!

Post by coilette » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:05 am

Credit for the Benedryl hasta go to me (Rachel), DJ'd forget the bus if he went camping without me! Hope yer wound is getting better Bob. Think it was a hobo?

Good to finally meet the famous GasMaster and the Wandering Minstrel, your reputations preceded you, and did not disappoint. And welcome to the madness, Troy...

We didn't camp another night like we planned, but did make it to McCredie for a soak. Met a couple there who offered us a smoke out (and I'm suspicious that they were trying to offer something "more" ::wink-wink-nudge-nudge:: ). Made it back home just in time to see the sun set over the bay in the spectacular blue-orange spectrum of fire.

And finally, somebody broke the dog (or spacetime, depending on how you look at it)...
everything has a balance

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi Rachel. Welcome to the IAC, meaning your first post since we already feel we know you some... co-captain on voyages north and all that. Nice photos. Hope to meet you someday.
71 bus, 74 westy

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:25 pm

coilette wrote:Credit for the Benedryl hasta go to me (Rachel), DJ'd forget the bus if he went camping without me!
Rachel, I shoulda known that. Gotta give DJ a little credit, even if he'd forget the bus, he'd for sure have a few beers strapped to his back. It was nice meeting you and DJ.

Troy
-'72 Westy-

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:00 pm

Jeepers, I'm not even fully unpacked and already anxious to go camping again. The boys had a blast...I may just have to bust away for an overnight with them again before it gets too cold.