Mid Sept, Mid Cascades?

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:15 pm

deschutestrout wrote:Jeepers, I'm not even fully unpacked and already anxious to go camping again.
Got that right, Mark. Once I merged onto I-5, I could feel the mountains calling me back again.
-'72 Westy-

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Finally got to the library and saw all the pics, very cool and yes, it was a mellow weekend! I'll get my pics up when I get the command center back up and running...which requires a house of course. The food was outstanding on the trip and thanks Anthony for packing along some samples, nice to try new beers. (well, DUH!)

Fall is definitely here, it arrived over the weekend complete with buckets of leaves coming off of the HUGE sycamore trees that line the streets...it all reminds me of being a kid and jumping into those huge piles. Good stuff.

Anywho, is for a chilly bike ride home. At least it doesn't rain out here :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:48 pm

spiffy wrote: The food was outstanding on the trip and thanks Anthony for packing along some samples, nice to try new beers. (well, DUH!)
That stew Saturday night was rather good! Thanks to all who contributed....quite a mix of food went into that Dutch Oven!
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Oregon72
IAC Addict!

Post by Oregon72 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:19 pm

Mmm mmm --- that yummy Metaphor Stew =D>

This rookie was amazed by all the incredible things you guys could make with a cast iron pot. Baked goods??? What the hell???
-'72 Westy-

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Oregon72 wrote:This rookie was amazed by all the incredible things you guys could make with a cast iron pot. Baked goods??? What the hell???
Someone obviously wasn't in the Boy Scouts as a kid... :blackeye: :lol: :drunken:

Stew, meatloaf, cobbler, biscuits, bread (good sourdough too), chicken-pot-pie/casserole hybrid .. and that's just the stuff my drunken mind can *remember* cooking in a dutch oven on a campfire. We attempted an honest-to-god cake one time but it didn't work out .. *someone* (glare in my brother's 700-miles-away direction) didn't grease the sides well enough and the cake stuck...

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:01 am

I noticed the sudden appearance of Fall too. All the leaves were a-changin' on the trip down 58 into the EUG.

Re: Campin' with the boys:

We were all boys their age once, (well, 'cept fer Rachel) and I know I wish my dad was cool enough to take me on a trip like that and let me get away with "grilling" and "chopping" and such.

As fer a pre-frost outing with them, the high desert FS roads off 97 south of Chemult could make for an easy bus trip from your area. Relatively flat, with plenty of open space for the boys to play Indians or what-have-you. Lots of big pine cones to throw at each other too. :blackeye:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:23 am

Back to work, but wish I was still in bed. This feels pretty much like the flu. I'm one spaced out cat. A weird gift from the ancient forest, but she knows what she's doin.
Good pics everybody. Mine are still on the camera...I'll git em'.
Man, I was pretty ripped while playin that song. I'm sure you can't tell tho. :drunken:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 pm

Hey Hammie you gave me hell a couple years ago on TS for being 'scared of spiders. Still am for good reason but have tried to get over it even to the point of catching a black widow in a Jar and watching it for a spell and (chuckel) naming her. RIP after three months of feeding and really tring to understand???? Anyway would love to know more about your bite, where and what it was. I will not be with out Benadrell after the Yukon skitters and still have flu like syptoms every time I get bitten down here. Tounge and glands swell up scarry like. Please share what you know about what it was. Barb
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

do this don't do that read the signs

Post by skin daddio » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:11 pm

sorry to miss the trip. my late maternal grandmother came to me in a rare dream thursday night and surely enough favorite cousin died less than 36 hours later. so i'm glad i held tight for i would have been lousy company. catch you guys another time.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:22 pm

Sorry for your loss Steve, my condolences my friend.

Bob, that sucks, really sucks. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Sounds like a fun trip, wish I could have made it.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:53 pm

Hello Bob and you unique PNW-IAC ers---- I certainly did not want to interupt your trip stories or such, and really do wish Hambone a full recovery. You up there have a ---dare I say clique---that is hard to fit in to posting on this forum at times. I truly hope to meet all of you and know you will crack up with me also. Its all good , Love~Barb

As Colin and I have experianced loss this year of very dear loved ones it is hard to express on this forum for me and not necessary at all but do truly understand and appreciate anyone in pain.

My busses (sp) bring me joy.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:10 am

Don't feel that way, there is no cronyism here. You're part of the mix Barb.
Sorry Skin, and was lookin forward to meeting you. Next time.
The sucker got me in the shoulder while I was answering nature's call. Got caught in my collar and freaked out an bit me. Kilt it, didn't know what it was at the time. Bout the size of a small ant, black and dark red. Got an itchy rash allover, lips swelled up, then it felt exactly like the flu, stiff muscles, fever. My fingertips went numb too.
I wasn't too freaked out really, just felt like crap. It was sort of interesting in a weird way.
Well now I know what to expect. I think wearing a tight collar would have prevented the whole mess.
My brain still feels weird but what's new?
BTW you may find me full of crap but I had a preminition about 10 min before I got bit, scratching a small mosquito bite, suddenly SPIDER BITE! BE CAREFUL! filled my head. Weird, and I didn't listen.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:40 am

Did you figure out what brand of spider got ya Hammie? I was watching a show last night about a guy who swatted at his thigh only to make the brown recloose (sp?) in his paint leg dig in...nasty, nasty, nasty venom in that particular little critter.

I think I'll start adding benadryl to our first aid kit.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:59 am

Nope, there are 50,000 different ones! I'm sure it's not terribly researched, especially in old growth "logging country". That area is very specialized too "Old Cascades", many strange rare species that survived the last ice age.
Since there isn't any treatment it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:20 am

I've never seen such a reaction to a bug bite. Eek! Is the reaction unusual for you? Yow, not good, especially on the neck. I sometimes swell badly from some bee stings and fear one that could cut off breathing. I have an Epi pen for emergencies (have never had to use one), and Benadryl too. I'm glad you are feeling better now.

Barb, we love you. Please don't feel left out. Sorry to hear of your sadness, hope you feel better soon. Now that Yellow is running, we found three other buses to wave at yesterday. Two of them were westies driven by greying men with trimmed beards... they looked like Z's guy! Maybe we'll see you soon too.
71 bus, 74 westy