Stone Mountain Georgia

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Stone Mountain Georgia

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:26 am

The family and I camped for two nights at Stone Mountain during the 4th of July weekend. Stone Mountain has it's laser show and fireworks, which would have been nice if we had been able to get within a half mile or so from them. That park was so packed on the 4th, you could have walked a mile on humans without touching the ground. I realize once again why I don't like big campgrounds, there is just too many people. The campsite we had was gravel and on a hill. Nice driving a tent stake in gravel, especially when you hit a rock. However, all negatives aside, a bad day of camping is better than a good day at work. We kept busy, saw a lot of the park, walked for more than 10 miles in two days, and in the end the whole family was happy to have gone. I might add, they had a small automobile museum there, and while they had no VW's, they had of all things a Tucker. Of the 46 that still exist, and one of them is here, figure that one out. It was hot, as Georgia is in July. It cooled off around midnight, and heated up quick and humid around 10:00AM. That is why I camp in the hills, the hills I say. Boy is about as sharp as a bowling ball. That's a joke son, a joke! I will add some pictures and add more commentary later today. If you ever get to Atlanta, you need to stop and see Stone Mountain. I dare say getting to ride on a WWII DUKW through the park and into the lake makes it very enticing, if just for me. Pretty impressive huge old rock if I say so myself.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:57 pm

Sounds like you had a good time. Looking forward to the pics.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:10 pm

Photos PHOTOS!
I lived in Virginia for 2 years as a kid... the forests in the south are imbedded in my being. I think at 7 years old is where I really developed my love of nature.
I'll bet yer family had a blast! And guess what, it's early July the summer is just getting rollling.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:58 am

I am ashamed, I did not take many pictures up there. Day two I forgot to bring the camera from the Bus. Lot of good it did back there. Ok, here is the camp setup, note lots of gravel, and old kerosene lantern I use. We were near the water though.

This is Stone Mountain and the engraving. This is about where we had to sit on the 4th, could not see or hear the laser show. Some of the fireworks were shot from the top of the mountain.

Here is Samantha at night. The lights were a nice addition, of course we had lots of visitors asking about the Bus. One fellow even nailed the year, he used to own a few Busses.

My attempt to take night photo's of the fireworks. Believe it or not, way back there is the mountain. And how many times in life do you get to stand on Robert E. Lee blvd?

On top of the mountain, it is rather high up and quite a dropoff. Here my son is on the edge, with a parking lot about 3/4 a mile away.

We did have fun, and it shore wore me out. Still, I bet with less of a crowd there it would be more enjoyable. And this time, I didn't set anyone on fire. Ya'll come back now, ya hear?

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:41 am

Did you go to any of the museums?

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:40 am

Love the lights on Samantha! That's a great photo of you and the fam too, Sly.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:48 am

RussellK wrote:Did you go to any of the museums?
My son and I went to the automobile museum. That is where we saw the Tucker. If you like old jukeboxes and picture shows, go there. We also went to the Stone Mountain museum, can't remember it's specific name but we didn't stay long. No pictures from them, no camera that day.