Camping Gear Game

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:34 pm

flatlander wrote:I was thoroughly impressed with Gypsie's $12 awning. It's a tarp and the supports are extending paint poles. (He already had the poles.) I really liked how it was high enough that we could walk under it without ducking our heads. And he may even have been hanging a lamp from it at night if I remember correctly.

right awning there indeed.

me, i like to have dry local newspapers and a sharp axe. if i'm just boondocking, the teapot can wait. my sunroof bus came with a remote control for its radio/cd.. that's extravagance. otoh, we've been traveling without the radio for quite a time - never bothered to hook it up. i could add the magnetic screens i made for the sunroof, if i could remember to camp where there are mosquitos.

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:33 pm

hambone wrote:What about points for "surviving" with less gear? I usually show up at a camp, take out a rug and chair, and watch everybody else set up for an hour while I drink a beer.
Now, now, Bob. Recall...I drink beer with you WHILE I'm setting up...and if it takes me an hour...well, how many beers does that equal? :drunken:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:02 pm

deschutestrout wrote:
hambone wrote:What about points for "surviving" with less gear? I usually show up at a camp, take out a rug and chair, and watch everybody else set up for an hour while I drink a beer.
Now, now, Bob. Recall...I drink beer with you WHILE I'm setting up...and if it takes me an hour...well, how many beers does that equal? :drunken:
But to Hammie, that's livin' off the land! Yous' da' sucker. :geek:

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:26 pm

chitwnvw wrote:
deschutestrout wrote:
But to Hammie, that's livin' off the land! Yous' da' sucker. :geek:
You got me there. I'll share a beer or six with Hambone any day...even if it's snowin', blowin', rainin', or just plain nice :flower:
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:01 pm

deschutestrout wrote: You got me there. I'll share a beer or six with Hambone any day...even if it's snowin', blowin', rainin', or just plain nice :flower:
As I would with you.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:36 pm

I see your awning and raise you a woodstove.

"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Dang, it'll be hard to beat a wood stove.

pjalau
Getting Hooked!

Post by pjalau » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:55 pm

points for the wood stove!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:08 pm

That's one of those little guys, that you can cart around, right? Do you have a CO monitor in the cabin?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:14 am

One time I got Colorado in my bus, it took me months to get rid of it. I highly recommend a detector.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

pb24ss
Old School!
Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

Post by pb24ss » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:23 pm

i always have the baddest heater at the campground

http://pictures.radom.org/v/vw/projects ... tallation/
78 P22 Westy

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:15 pm

chitwnvw wrote:That's one of those little guys, that you can cart around, right? Do you have a CO monitor in the cabin?
It's just 1/8" steel, weighs about 25 pounds. I've been having trouble finding a good chimney for it. Right now it has one made of b-vent, and the inner pipe is starting to warp from the heat. The smallest stove pipe I've seen is 5 inch, this is 3.

And I'd be more worried about CO while driving the bus. :drunken: Those little wiry donut gaskets on the type1 exhaust last about 12 miles.

Stove is more for ambiance than anything else. Mostly use it with the door open anyway. Come sleepy time, if it's really that cold, we use the coleman cat.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:48 am

Hey Gypsie, your wood carrying sling thingy should get mucho points.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:03 am

Yeah that thing is great I use it alla time.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:51 am

DjEep wrote:Those little wiry donut gaskets on the type1 exhaust last about 12 miles.
No shit. (grrr!)