My First Camping Trip 6-28-08

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

My First Camping Trip 6-28-08

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:21 am

So after a grueling 45-second long drive over uneven turf from the shop to the yard, I was lucky enough to find a nice, shady spot that even had power and water hookups. Got parked, got the top popped and got ready for a nice evening.

An added bonus was that there was a playground for the kids nearby.

The boys got settled in and I was amazed at how much room the lower bed of The Riviera provided. I had always assumed we'd need the child's cot in front once our third child arrived, but now I think we can easily fit all five of us between the penthouse and the bottom bed.

We had a great time watching movies (Star Wars, of course). Charlie, our five-year old, is a huge fan thanks to his mom. Little brother Henry enjoys them too.

Unfortunately, the trip ended a little early when Henry woke up about midnight crying. It had nothing to do with camping, but oddly enough, if he doesn't get a nap during the day, he'll wake up in the middle of the night upset. Well that woke up big brother, so we decided to call it a night and go back in the house. That notwithstanding, the trip was a huge success! We can't wait to go on a "real" camping trip with their little sister next summer (Maupin, here we come!).
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:40 am

Well hell man summertime is here, don't wait for next year!!! Get out there and enjoy those Washington Cascades. :bounce: Blink and summer is over, then the damn snow keeps us out.
Hambone trip at the end of the month!! It's in Oregon tho, but Spiffy is making it down from Tacoma.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:41 am

Nice Rivi!!!

Our white curtains have survived as well! You gonna come down and chit chat with chitwnvw and I a little this weekend? Would be great to meet you!!!

We would come to you but I have a crazy amount of things going on right now to get ready to move.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:50 am

spiffy wrote:You gonna come down and chit chat with chitwnvw and I a little this weekend? Would be great to meet you!!!
Absolutely! Me and the boys will be down whatever time is good for you on Saturday. I'm looking forward to meeting you and Chitwnvw. Like you posted in another thread, it's always nice to put faces with names whenever the opportunity presents itself.
- Dick

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:52 am

dtrumbo wrote:
spiffy wrote:You gonna come down and chit chat with chitwnvw and I a little this weekend? Would be great to meet you!!!
Absolutely! Me and the boys will be down whatever time is good for you on Saturday. I'm looking forward to meeting you and Chitwnvw. Like you posted in another thread, it's always nice to put faces with names whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Are you bringing the Rivi?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:56 am

Okay, great!! Bring yer driving goggles if ya feel like kicking the tires on our two beese. Even though you have a 78 Rivi, the automatic is a lot of fun to drive and Bill, well, Bill is the Old man in Hemingway's The Old Man and The Sea....a wise, and hard working old codger.

Anytime on Saturday would work, we are going to pick up Chitwn from the airport on Friday and go straight over to pick up his new bus...and then dive in with the wrenches.

Does your Rivi have the wardrobe behind the driver? If not our set up may be indentical, even the fabric color.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:48 am

chitwnvw wrote:Are you bringing the Rivi?
Sure, why not? It gets slightly better mileage than the '70 anyway.
spiffy wrote:Does your Rivi have the wardrobe behind the driver?
Yes, it will be interesting to see the "other" interior that you have.

I'll give you a ring on Saturday around noon before we head out. It'll take us about 45 minutes to get there which should provide the boys with a nice enroute nap! :cheers:
- Dick