2007 - th YEAR OF CAMP - In Review

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

2007 - th YEAR OF CAMP - In Review

Post by hambone » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:25 pm

Ok I was gonna post these horn-tootin' pics a while ago but got distracted. Who says a VW Bus is a cantankerous unreliable contraption? Not me. Never. Let the pics be th proof.

The outdoor madness begins in February, with the Nehalem Bay Wetwesties campout. Rain, camping on the coast in a constant cloud. Sooo many memories, electric souppot and former Gyspiewagen. Booze.

NOT a camp, but a delightful trip up to Tacoma to mooch offa Spiffy and Copilot and drink beer in Feb. BEFORE they remodeled their kitchen. This is halfway home, along the former Milwaukee Road. History squeals like a hog.

Then, an exciting trip up Cripple Creek trail in the Clackamas Watershed in March, old growth temperate rainforest stumbling, slippy moss and dead leaves. Lonely false pyramids and cougar scratched cedars.

Badger Creek! The first annual Barlow District IAC Hoot. I had fun. The weather was nice. Mark didn't catch any fish. March.

A place called Big Bottom (no, really) along the Clackamas River. We try to go (read "I force them to go") every late spring to my special spot out there. Gigantic hemlocks, big ol douglas firs. May, you know.

Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness, not far from the fat flanks of Mt Hood. Middle of May. I had a grand time amongst the noble firs, imagining cougars eating my face off. Didn't see a soul. I've since painted those NASTY wheels.

Here we have the First Annual (!) IAC Lookout Springs Camp Trip and Menagerie, Memorial Day. Rain, camping in the clouds, mandolins and live ammunition scattered about. Jasan was there, in his truck. :geek:

A quick trip down the Clackamas in early June to Big Cliff, a place I love to explore. I'm fixin a SECRET TRAIL up on that cliff. SHHHHHH
Lots (LOTS) of poison oak.

Then, the 2nd Annual Deschutes River Rendevousvw (I never got that right). Deschutestrout puts on a HELL of a show. June. Don't miss it unless you're dead or really stink somethin awful.

After the Rendevsvousvw, a campy splinter group hit one of my SECRET SPOTS on the White River. Sunshine, I remember the days...Still June. Canned tuna, mercury laden deliciousness. Big ponderosa pines, dry crisp air smells like woodspice. Jasan's bus! It lived! :geek: :geek:

Finally July, a wholesome family trip (in the anger inducing rain) to Middle Santiam Wilderness at about 4000' and interesting tree species, wildflower meadows, ancient forests, clearcuts...Eva found and kissed many lucky frogs.

Hambone Springs! My favorite place close to Portland, aside from the name. 1st Annual IAC Cranky Hambone trip. I was cranky and I still don't know why. Sorry. Sue me. July. Dig the new silver Gyspiewagen and that buffet Set For a King.

3-Sisters Wilderness, the end of a 5 day backpack trip with my big kid. It was hot dusty windy glorious high altitude exhausting good ol fashioned fun. Then I had to drive home 4 hours. End of July.

Rhododendron Creek, not too far from Big Bottom. Nobody took a pic of the BUS??!! Well we have our memories. I like it there, I helped rescue an abandoned trail from oblivion. Middle of August in the big trees and moss, a very special wild place surrounded by a lot of logging.

Beginning of September, the First Annual IAC Trip Where Nobody But Me an Hal Showed Up But I'm Not Bitter. A great old abandoned campground called Twin Springs, not far from Hambone Springs. Fir pollen thick in the air, long hot shadows of early Autumn. Vine maple red.

Mid September, Cache Meadow up in the Clackamas Foothills, bushes fat with huckleberries. Starting to get cold again, our last family trip of the season. Too bad, so it goes. Another splendid unspoiled gem with lakes, meadows, creeks. An easy place to get lost.

Elk Lake Creek with the whole creaky NW IAC goonies. Well a few of em' anyway. Sharpening chainsaws, dogs pooping cherry tomatoes, too much whiskey, homemade Jumbalaya in a dutch oven, fall falling fast. One of those weekends you'd wish would last forever. The road to this place is now washed out. End of October.

A jolly jaunt to misty Fish Creek Mountain. (with the barkers and the colored balloons ah fergit it) 12 seconds before winter hit in the higher elevations, mid November and frost itchin at the door. Remember?
On Mt Hood's doorstep, big shaggy firs, lurking Sasquaches.

FINALLY (you're still reading this?) The First Annual (a trend) IAC Snow Camp near Breitenbush Hot Springs in the snowy (appropriately) central Oregon Cascades. Mark popped outa the darkness to help stranded motorists with tirechains, dog with coat. Dutch oven nachos. Tuff buses that Take No Guff. December.

Ok that's it. What a magic year for all. Let's all git off our campy-asses this year and REALLY do it right. :flower:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

turk

Post by turk » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:37 pm

Gee hammie, maybe in the future they will figure out how to grow busses, and it will be somewhere out there the first biomechanical bus is sprouted from the womb of a wife of a proud bus owner. It will be extracted before term of course and incubated in a sweat lodge until it reaches maturity whence it will be released to the wild to go forth and populate the forests...

turk

Post by turk » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:42 pm

Seriously though, nice photos bud.

hambone

Post by hambone » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:49 pm

They'd be tiny tho, and race around on the canopy branches like colorful squirrels, caching tiny bottles of Castrol for winter. In a pinch, you could snare and eat em'. Pet shops would pay Top Dollar for the elusive critters, springing an unfortunate black market trade in tiny Westies.

turk

Post by turk » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:55 pm

That's pretty funny. Castrol? I LIKE THE POP-TOPS myself. I still think you should get one. Well, soon we will have plenty if the plan works. Right Dr. Bob?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:54 am

Awesome pics Hammie. I can't wait for the warmer weather to hit. Would you mind if we added the pics of our different trips into the fray?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:20 am

Of course not! :cheers:
Of course, the Camping section does need a bit of fattening up, it would be cool to see everybody start a thread of their own adventures for the sake of organization and clarity. You had a busy 2007 yourself, lots of good miles on Spiffy.
(my bus has multiple names: Ma, Pokey, Pokeywagen, Ham-wagen...more I'm sure I fergit)
There is also this thread started by John but my HUGE EGO prevented me from posting there:
viewtopic.php?t=3137

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:02 pm

Great rundown on the year Hammy. When I get the time I'll start a new thread of all my adventures since I've owned my current bus. I've seen some great country around here all because of owning a VW camper.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Okey dokey.

We had a few great trips and a couple excursions down to Portland here and there to hang out with our friends. I don't think these will be in order but here it goes.

Every May we head out to Walla Walla, WA to see the Hot air Balloon Stampede, about 40 to 50 balloons take off every morning and they do a night glow, really great event and we get to "camp" in a local RV place.

On the way home we took the 6 hour drive and split it in two so we stayed at yakima sportsmans SP.

The second leg of the journey we drove route 12 on the south side of Rainier and up route 7 on the west side. This time we took the day and went up to paradise.

Prior to that in feb we headed down to the westies event at Nehalem Bay SP.

This is when I first met Stephan.

Fast forward to June and we headed out to Camano Island to sit in the hammock and enjoy the sunshine.

Deception Pass:

Then onto the RendezVW at Mark's pad.

And the follow on campout:

Then onto the beautiful San Juans and GREAT weather and a keg.....Oh the fun we had!!!! :drunken:

Westy the yorky in our bus...what a cutie!!

View from the ferry:

And then the last hurah for the season at the Hunters Moon campout:

Strange things were happening with the lights at night....never figured out what that was:

Whew!!! And we already have three under the belt this season :cheers:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:23 pm

Very nice Mike!!! I especially like the one of me choppin'. Isn't it weird to condense a whole year into a few photos and saucy comments?

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:56 pm

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:44 am

hambone wrote:Very nice Mike!!! I especially like the one of me choppin'. Isn't it weird to condense a whole year into a few photos and saucy comments?
Yeah, it is weird....I had to think, strange occurance for me.....it hurts my brain. :geek:

Hopefully we have a few more campouts to go along with our festivals this year. I would still like to make it to the folk music fest (can't remember the name) that John goes to every year.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:28 am

I hope so too! Summer is so short in the mountains, gotta make the most of it.
I have a few suggestions (go figure)
June: south of Mt. St. Helens (I fergit the name of the creek, I'll get back to ya)
July: Hambone Springs
August: Kinzel Lake

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:06 pm

hambone wrote:I hope so too! Summer is so short in the mountains, gotta make the most of it.
I have a few suggestions (go figure)
June: south of Mt. St. Helens (I fergit the name of the creek, I'll get back to ya)
July: Hambone Springs
August: Kinzel Lake
Yeah, the June thing sounds good, I realy want to check that area out, maybe even the east side of Helens might be worth a look as well. It is only about 2 hours from me so I would glad about that. It sucks tho, I want to be out there NOW :geek:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:27 pm

Hambone, Spiffy, you're an inspiration. So much so that I just put $380 on my credit card for four Hankook RA08s. :bounce:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.