Second annual San Juan Islands trip.

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:24 pm

I hope the meese ain't getting at my buses in storage right now :cyclopsani: We gotta camp in the 78 this weekend and I really don't want to have to chase em out, espsecially since this is our last week in Tacoma and we will have a quick turn around on Friday. We arrive into Walla around nooner and then have to unload, stuff cats in new place, put on camping hats, and then bust on up to the campout. Gonna be an interesting week, I hope I have a few hairs left on my head by the end of it. :cyclopsani:

Great pics and story Jasan!! =D>
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:12 am

You're going to a camp event on the same weekend you're moving into a new house? I couldn't do it, too many loose ends to tie.

Jasan, where exactly are the mice getting in? I thought the lower noze was sealed...how the hell are they getting into the vent tubes? Maybe that's how I got mine this spring...or even thru the open doors. :colors:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:08 pm

hambone wrote:Jasan, where exactly are the mice getting in? I thought the lower noze was sealed...how the hell are they getting into the vent tubes? Maybe that's how I got mine this spring...or even thru the open doors. :colors:
I did some investigating on the mouse infiltration today. Where I thought they were coming in was through this hose that is open to air under the splash pan.

It travels through the floor and into the vent system inside the nose.

I thought that the other end was open behind the kick panels but it appears to be connected correctly.

The only other possible spots that I can see that they could have gotten to the inside of the nose are the two holes on either side of the plastic hose.

And maybe through this hole beside the pedal cluster. They only need a hole the size of a nickel to get through.

However the telltale signs are stuck to the crusty, sticky steering box that has weeped fluid since I've had the bus.

Then I also saw a small tuft of fur on the two oval holes.

From these two holes I assume they crawled all the way up to just under the windshield and in through the wiper arm holes and the window washer hose holes in the body.

More fur here on the wiper arm.

Then this was their runway to the kick panels and inside the cabinets from behind the seats. Makes sense since the first one I saw was clear up behind the gauge cluster crawling in the wiring.

Now to decide if I want to use screen or seal the holes off completely with tape or something else. I assume it's good to keep the holes open to air to help with circulation of air. I'll probably glue some heavy screen to the holes and hope for the best. I still need to look for entry points under the rear bench since Jill said she had one run from the foot of the sleeping bag and up in between us. There is a recirculation vent under there that is part of the BA6 heater system. It may be open to the outside somehow through a deteriorated hose.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.