Penguins!

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Penguins!

Post by DjEep » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:11 pm

Is what we are!

So far this season we've done the "official" Snow Camp, the "unofficial" Snow Camp at the same spot on x-mas eve, and now New Years Eve at Crater Lake.

We survived the night, even though temps dipped to about -5*F. A gallon jug of water froze solid in the bus, even with the BlackCat blazin' all night.

Woke up to the most beautiful morning of my life. Snow and sky glowing orange-magenta, mountains purple in the frozen mist. Crater Lake was abandoned save for a couple cars in the lot and one ranger on the drive up.

So silent and powerful in the lonesome winter breeze.

So.... Youses all snug in your centrally-heated homes?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: Penguins!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:43 pm

DjEep wrote:A gallon jug of water froze solid in the bus...

So.... Youses all snug in your centrally-heated homes?
Not us! No lie: not two hours ago we got back from an ice fishing trip where our gallon jug of water froze solid overnight (not to mention our Nalgene(TM)s and our apples). I now know what it'd be like to sleep in a freezer. A post on our blog is forthcoming.

I love Winter!
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:03 pm

:cheers:

Catch anything?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:07 pm

I thought they closed the road up to the lake in the winter. How was the road in? Dammit I miss having my bus running!
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:51 pm

DjEep wrote:Catch anything?
Nope, but a guy pretty close to me caught this beauty (that's me in the photo, though):

Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: Penguins!

Post by glasseye » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:38 pm

DjEep wrote:and now New Years Eve at Crater Lake.
Woke up to the most beautiful morning of my life.
I'll just BET! You clever, brave individual, you! =D> Good on ya!
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:59 pm

You look like a hardy soul! Brave man anyway. But I guess it's not THAT cold if yer coat is open. I'll bet that fish is wondering what hit him...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:14 am

Westy78 wrote:Dammit I miss having my bus running!
:roll:

or

:-({|=

Your call.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:43 am

Westy78 wrote:I thought they closed the road up to the lake in the winter. How was the road in? Dammit I miss having my bus running!
They close all access from the North, so you have to go all the way to Ft. Klamath and back up hwy 62. One road in, only goes to the hotel at the Rim, which is shuttered for the season. From there on it's snow shoes and skis only. I'm still kicking myself for not renting some when I was buying my sno-park permit in Oakridge.

I used the chains going up to the lake, but ditched 'em for the ride down. It was cold enough for the road snow to be sticky, so they weren't needed. Plus I "needed" to do a few donuts and an E-brake 180*, ya know, to test for stress factors in the bus' suspension.

PS, nice fish. But like ham said, couldn't have been that cold if the jacket's open. :bom:

Did I mention my pillow froze solid and had to be pried away from the rear hatch and bed? Or that someone else camped near us in a tent? Now that's gotta be cold.

turk

Post by turk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:46 am

Holy Glacial Park Vegas Style boys that sounds like some cold campin! It looks pretty cold in that picture of whc03grady. I'd guess 25 fahrenheit.

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:29 am

the five of us went up sir francis drake to point reyes for new years to picnic, hike, and boondock... with one blanket. didn't feel like going from the l'east bay to the city for the bags with the richmond bridge right there. no child cot this time. no penguins on the scene - simple norcal rough.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:55 am

I hadn't seen you for a while, steve, had a feeling you'd flown south for the winter :geek: .

I love Sir Francis, we used to drive that road and the ones connecting all the time, just to watch the scenery pass by.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:19 am

DjEep wrote:PS, nice fish. But like ham said, couldn't have been that cold if the jacket's open. :bom:
Geez, unzip your coat and people act as if you'd stripped to the waist! Admittedly, it was in the mid-to-upper 20s during the day, when that picture was taken. But trust me, once that sun dips behind the mountains at about 445pm, it gets pretty frigid pretty fast.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:29 am

LiveonJG wrote:

or

Your call.

-John

OUCH man, just, ouch. I suppose I do deserve it though. :blackeye: Really wishing I had a nice dry garage.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:55 pm

Westy78 wrote:
LiveonJG wrote:

or

Your call.

-John

OUCH man, just, ouch. I suppose I do deserve it though. :blackeye: Really wishing I had a nice dry garage.
Just a friendly jab Jasan. Nothing more nothing less. No ill intent meant. How's the timetable looking?

-John
Keep it acoustic.