wildlife chronicles

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk

Post by turk » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:27 am

RussellK wrote:
It was down in Shawnee National Forest south of Harrisonburg. There must be a large lake nearby.
I've been camping there a few times and I personally love it. Had good luck so far. Pounds Hollow Campground (Shawnee Natl. Forest) is right about where you're talking. That's right by Garden of the Gods and a few other points of interest. It's really diverse around there. One place is the diametric opposite of another right next to it! Bottom wetlands and rocky upland forest. Praries. Great plant diversity. Great animal diversity. Too bad it's been so fragmented by agriculture. But where you mentioned is right in the heart of the undeveloped parts. The best parts perhaps. I've only been a few times so I don't know much about the area. My favorites were the Little Grand Canyon, the Cache River, Dixon Springs State Park, and City of the Giants State Park. I also camped on a peninsula of Little Grassy Lake in the Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge but that's possibly a story for another post. I think a lot of the lakes are man-made around there. The water is pretty clear in some. There are some natural springs in the area but I don't know where exactly. It's great. Good place for eagles. The lakes are stocked with fish. The Little Grand Canyon is brilliant. Great transitions on that hiking trail.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:28 am

Bookwus wrote:
Sure enough, not 20 feet away from my nose was a Bald Eagle making like the back of the US quarter.
Not only do you guys get the best flag ever, you snuck the eagle, too. We get beavers, loons and a flag that looks like a corporate logo.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:07 am

glasseye wrote:
Not only do you guys get the best flag ever, you snuck the eagle, too. We get beavers, loons and a flag that looks like a corporate logo.
Irony of Ironies...

The Bald eagle is an opportunistic bully that will use it's size and strength to steal it's dinner just as soon as hunt it down on it's own

As far as loons...we gots quite a few of our own, right hammie (says the pot to the kettle)

And beavers...well I think I'll stop now before I get sent to free speech.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

turk

Post by turk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:04 am

I've seen beavers in the city on numerous occasions. They never build anything around here that I've seen. I've heard reports they do on the south side though. Most of that was a swamp long ago. Not sure about my neighborhood.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:09 pm

Hiya Gypsie,
Gypsie wrote:.....The Bald eagle is an opportunistic bully that will use it's size and strength to steal it's dinner just as soon as hunt it down on it's own
Appropriate. Reminds me of some aspects of US foreign policy.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:44 pm

i once lived in the woods with the nearest neighbor a mile away other than the three families on our little plot of land. I was about 12. there was a beaver dam across the road that made quite a stillwater pond. great fishing and a nice place for ice to form in the winter. I actually fell through the ice and got my feet stuck in the mud when i reached bottom. my hands could reach out of the water but my head couldn't. Very scary coupla seconds.

it was very soothing to watch the beavers cutting down trees, pulling HUGE trees onto the dam, swimming around etc.

turk

Post by turk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:16 pm

I've never seen that. How do they pull those logs? I've seen the trees they cut and they're hundreds of pounds at least.

turk

Post by turk » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:30 pm

Gypsie wrote: I actually fell through the ice and got my feet stuck in the mud when i reached bottom. my hands could reach out of the water but my head couldn't. Very scary coupla seconds.

it was very soothing to watch the beavers cutting down trees, pulling HUGE trees onto the dam, swimming around etc.
You're lucky you didn't drown within a minute's time. Did you free yourself from the mud? I hear when the head goes under in those conditions you will likely take in a lung-full of water immediately, if you make the mistake of trying to breathe, which is hard not to do when the cold water hits your skin...

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:13 pm

I didn't take on any water and it was only a couple of seconds of wriggling to get free of the muck but i could see the sky through the water (I remember this image clearly) I also remember my hands feeling colder than my arms as they were waving through the air. I think all of the winter clothes helped with the shock of instant cold.

As far as the beavers moving big a$$ logs, I would have to say it must have been mechanical advantage (short little legs with fat little muscles), patience, and sheer will. Grabbed in the teeth, and pulled 1/4" at a time. Once it is in the water it is alot easier. I am amazed by the engineering involved. If it were sheer random placement and luck I don't think that there would be as many successful dams as there are.

turk

Post by turk » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:52 am

Gypsie,
Yeah, being 12 and the time it took the water to hit your skin through the clothes probably saved you. And you didn't inhale a bunch of water.
I've sunk up to my waist in muck in the summer and it's not only a creepy feeling but scary too. I didn't feel any solid ground and I had to wonder for a second if I would keep sinking into it -- but I had a life preserver on, so not really. I almost lost my sandals but gently pulled my feet up so they didn't suck off. In very cold water as long as you can keep your head above water and stay calm you can survive for a while -- maybe 30 minutes.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:31 am

turk wrote:
RussellK wrote:
It was down in Shawnee National Forest south of Harrisonburg. There must be a large lake nearby.
I've been camping there a few times and I personally love it. Had good luck so far. Pounds Hollow Campground (Shawnee Natl. Forest) is right about where you're talking. That's right by Garden of the Gods and a few other points of interest. It's really diverse around there. One place is the diametric opposite of another right next to it! Bottom wetlands and rocky upland forest. Praries. Great plant diversity. Great animal diversity. Too bad it's been so fragmented by agriculture. But where you mentioned is right in the heart of the undeveloped parts. The best parts perhaps. I've only been a few times so I don't know much about the area. My favorites were the Little Grand Canyon, the Cache River, Dixon Springs State Park, and City of the Giants State Park. I also camped on a peninsula of Little Grassy Lake in the Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge but that's possibly a story for another post. I think a lot of the lakes are man-made around there. The water is pretty clear in some. There are some natural springs in the area but I don't know where exactly. It's great. Good place for eagles. The lakes are stocked with fish. The Little Grand Canyon is brilliant. Great transitions on that hiking trail.
After we had pretty much hiked everything in the Ozarks we started exploring Southern Illinois. We've been hiking a lot there for the past two years, cycling there too. Had no idea it was so diverse. If you need a pamphlet or brochure on an area just ask. The missus probably has one. At one time I threatened to build a rack for her brochures just like they have in the lobbies of most motels.

turk

Post by turk » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:43 pm

Thanks Russ. I have quite a collection here already. I'm looking at some old National Geographic guide to federal lands from 1984 and it states winter as one of the best times to visit Crab Orchard. Summer isn't mentioned -- when I went -- yeah I can see why - too hot for camping. Anyway, if you like biking get the bicycle trail maps the state of Illinois gives free if you havn't already. They're very detailed road maps for cyclists.
http://www.dot.state.il.us/bikemap/STATE.HTMl