wildlife chronicles

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

turk

Post by turk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:43 pm

justgimmecoffee wrote:On Thanksgiving I was driving along the freeway when a hawk dived something right next to the road by an offramp.

the bird just rocketed down out of the sky and at the last second just.... landed. looked like it scored some kind of meal.

it was amazing to watch.

-Barry
I saw a Kestrel dive bomb a sparrow right in front of my moving car. So I stopped. The Kestrel just stood on top of the smaller bird for a few seconds then flew away with it in tow - by it's talons.

turk

Post by turk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:17 pm

Some pics of the falcon I saw a few years ago in the big empty lot -- now a Home depot etc...:

Might be a Prairie falcon and not a Peregrine falcon??

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:45 pm

Every once in a while I'll spot a Bald Eagle.

A very striking and noble looking bird.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:26 pm

Yeah they do seem really special when you spot em' in the wild.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:41 am

We have Eagles all winter because they follow the river down as it freezes moving further south. They nest along the banks and it has become quite a little cottage industry for the towns to host Eagle Watching days.

Here is an Eagle story. My wife and I were riding the Tunnel Hill trail in Southern Illinois. We stopped for a rest in a small town the trail goes through. Another couple rode past, nodded, then stopped and were whispering to each other. I guess we passed muster because sheepishly the woman came over and asked if we wanted to see "their" eagles. Of course we do. We followed them out of town on the trail ,made some turns through farmland and then stopped and sure enough about 100 yards off the road were a pair of nesting Eagles. It was incredible and we watched them for quite awhile before going on. The couple said the town protects the whereabouts of the birds from most strangers and brings catches of dead fish to feed the birds.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:09 pm

RussellK wrote:We have Eagles all winter because they follow the river down as it freezes moving further south. They nest along the banks and it has become quite a little cottage industry for the towns to host Eagle Watching days.

Here is an Eagle story. My wife and I were riding the Tunnel Hill trail in Southern Illinois. We stopped for a rest in a small town the trail goes through. Another couple rode past, nodded, then stopped and were whispering to each other. I guess we passed muster because sheepishly the woman came over and asked if we wanted to see "their" eagles. Of course we do. We followed them out of town on the trail ,made some turns through farmland and then stopped and sure enough about 100 yards off the road were a pair of nesting Eagles. It was incredible and we watched them for quite awhile before going on. The couple said the town protects the whereabouts of the birds from most strangers and brings catches of dead fish to feed the birds.
Well, then what happened? (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink he asked him knowingly.) I've heard about those types of "clubs". Hey you want to check out our "eagles"? Please continue the story. (Queuing up the Boom-Chicka-Boom-Boom music now.)

-John
Keep it acoustic.

turk

Post by turk » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:51 pm

hambone wrote:A city is no place for birds and mammals.
True. It's surprising what you see though. Beavers, etc.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:51 am

One of my most moving wildlife experiences seemed to be the universe speaking to me.

I had just graduated from college and was having a last blast at the local lake swimming hole with some buddies (all graduates). we were sitting in the sun in a melancholic mood on a rocky cliff about 20 feet above the water. It was just after 4:20 :geek: when we saw a an osprey scoop a 8-10 inch trout out of the water. The osprey was climbing when an immature bald eagle (no white feathers on the head yet), swooped down and slammed into the osprey, dislodging the trout. The trout fell and the eagle scooped it up and began a slow climb. The eagle was larger and slower than the osprey. The osprey flew directly under the eagle and in an aerobatic maneuver, snatched the trout from the eagle. We sat in amazement as this struggle for food unfolded in front of us. they flew up down and all around fighting over this fish. They each had it and lost it app half a dozen times. At one point they flew right over our heads within 10 feet. So close you could see the talon gouges in the trout. All in all this "dog fight" lasted about 10 minutes and spanned a fairly large area of the lake (app 1/2 square mile).

It may have been the fact that it was shortly after 4:20, but we all sat in stunned amazement at the metaphor of our setting out on our own journeys. Would we be eagles, ospreys, or trout.

FYI- the osprey ended up with the fish and avoided losing it for the last time by zig zagging as it flew away. The eagle couldn't zag fast enough and appeared tired. It infact flew up into a tree and didn't move for about half an hour.

Twas truly a beautiful experience.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

turk

Post by turk » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:32 am

Wow! Cool story man. That should stick in the memory a while. I think I know what you mean about the zig-zagging. I saw an osprey do that once. They are a little more spry in the air.

turk

Post by turk » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:39 pm

RussellK wrote:We have Eagles all winter because they follow the river down as it freezes moving further south. They nest along the banks and it has become quite a little cottage industry for the towns to host Eagle Watching days.

Cape Girardeau or St. Genevieve? Muphysboro? You don't have to tell me.. ya know what? I saw one sitting on an intertstate lamppost -- I think it was the junction of 57 and 24 or something in late summer. I enjoy the vultures too. I saw a whole tree full of them in that same general area. I just found out why they sometimes sit with their wings extended. To dry off after washing.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:58 pm

turk wrote:

Cape Girardeau or St. Genevieve? Muphysboro? You don't have to tell me.. ya know what? I saw one sitting on an intertstate lamppost -- I think it was the junction of 57 and 24 or something in late summer. I enjoy the vultures too. I saw a whole tree full of them in that same general area. I just found out why they sometimes sit with their wings extended. To dry off after washing.
It was down in Shawnee National Forest south of Harrisonburg. There must be a large lake nearby.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:55 pm

Hiya All,

For all of you PDX types, we have a nesting pair of Bald Eagles on Ross Island and another pair in the Jantzen Beach area.

It's not uncommon to spot the Ross Island pair wheeling and circling the hillside as one completes the Burlingame Curves heading north. Or pull up a bench near the Spaghetti Factory - you should be able to catch sight of them. Head on out to the golf course and you'll probably get a good look at the Jantzen Beach pair if you can see them through all the Great Blue Herons (a really great bird in their own right).

And lastly there is a large nest atop a microwave pole just south of the Ross Island Bridge. Could be that this also is an aerie.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:02 pm

If you guys need a shot of patriotic fervor, you need to visit Squamish, BC, just outside of Vancouver. You can see dozens if not hundreds at a time in the winter.

Here in the Kootenays, I have to make do with a single pair who've taken up residence in the 200ft fir tree outside my bedroom window.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Hiya glass,

Ha! Reminds me of the time I took my family out to Alert Bay.

We had just settled in our room. I was stretched out on the bed and my wife was taking a look at the town through the window. Suddenly she blurts out, "There's an eagle sitting in the tree right next to us". As the kids scramble over to the window, I tell her, "Naw, probably just a seagull." She replies, "Well then this seagull is big, brown, and has a white head". That got me off the bed pretty fast.
Sure enough, not 20 feet away from my nose was a Bald Eagle making like the back of the US quarter. Stretching out his wings a bit and ruffling himself up. Then he shot us all a look that was positively penetrating. With that he glided off the branch and out of sight.

Wow! Welcome to Canada!
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

turk

Post by turk » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:58 am

turk wrote:
hambone wrote:A city is no place for birds and mammals.
Don't forget they were here long before us and were the first reason humans settled here (Chicago). Ya think they're gonna give up that easy? The skin of civilization (concrete, steel) won't stop them. But I agree with your point.
It's fascinating how the earth works. Someday it may all be covered in ice a mile thick again here.