Were you a Scout?

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Were you a Scout?

Post by Sylvester » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:17 pm

I was, Cub, Webelos and Boy Scouts. I loved it, especially the camping. Lots of stories I remember from way back then. One of my last patrols I belonged to was called the Confederates, homemade Rebel flag and all. I was a Boy Scout First Class. Anyone else? Any memories of camp outs?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:57 pm

I was a Cub Scout for a year, loved it but wasn't allowed to continue "not enough time" by my parent or some crap.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:00 pm

hambone wrote:I was a Cub Scout for a year, loved it but wasn't allowed to continue "not enough time" by my parent or some crap.
Same thing happened to me. My Mom still has the lantern I made from old butter tubs, plastic saucers and hairspray caps.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:04 pm

Sluggo wrote:My Mom still has the lantern I made from old butter tubs, plastic saucers and hairspray caps.
I'd bet that's OSHA compliant. :geek:

-John
Keep it acoustic.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:13 pm

As for the original post, I was never a Scout. I remember going to a big meeting once to join the Cubs but my parents didn't like something about it so it never happened.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:37 pm

Cubscout, Boy Scout, Sea Scout. Good times. knots. camping. environmental appreciation.

Loved Jamborees.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:47 pm

Cub scout, Boy Scout (made Life Scout) and now a part time assistant Scoutmaster (time allowing)... :pirate:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:05 pm

Yepper. All three

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:00 am

Indian Guides.

If you're unfamiliar, it's like scouting, but the dads get to drink beer and play cards. :drunken:

Great fun for father/son. They also have programs for father/daughter, and mom/child combinations. Great memories from my childhood, and I was able to do it with my son, too!
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:22 am

Great program, It's where I learned to camp, look at playboys, hike, backpack, drink, smoke, curse, cut down more trees than will grow back in my lifetime, cook outdoors, bully the weak, eat more bacon than is natural, get bullied, fart , start fires, tie the weak to trees and out houses - get tied to trees and outhouses, fight, get beat up, burp, and pee a 3' stream. Eagle Scout all the way!

Proud to say I was the scoutmaster for the troop my two boys were in and they both are Eagle Scouts. None of the above happened in their troop. Nope, nothing at all, nada, never happened.

Edited so as not to offend

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:26 pm

RussellK wrote:Proud to say I was the scoutmaster for the troop my two boys were in and they both are Eagle Scouts. None of the above happened in their troop. Nope, nothing at all, nada, never happened.
I would have to think about all you mentioned and see if it did or didn't happen. Never did see someone tied to an outhouse, I suppose we were a bit tame in comparison. We did get in a fist fight with camp councilors at summer camp once.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:13 pm

Sylvester wrote:
RussellK wrote:Proud to say I was the scoutmaster for the troop my two boys were in and they both are Eagle Scouts. None of the above happened in their troop. Nope, nothing at all, nada, never happened.
I would have to think about all you mentioned and see if it did or didn't happen. Never did see someone tied to an outhouse, I suppose we were a bit tame in comparison. We did get in a fist fight with camp councilors at summer camp once.
I was in the scouts in the mid to late 60's. I grew up in a hardscrabble area and our troop had a membership of over 60 boys desperate for something to do; when we went to camp it was an invasion. The troop was sponsored by a Fathers Club that had a no boy is unacceptable philosophy. You can't imagine the range of knuckleheads that were members of the troop. At one point at a concerned parents meeting a mother of one of the "nicer" (from the correct side of the tracks) boys demanded that some of the "bad" boys be thrown out. Our scoutmaster advised the group that if any boys were ejected he would be going too. That quieted things down. I make jokes about what I learned and it's true I was exposed to a lot of vices in the scouts but that program left more positive things than negative. When I got involved in the scouts once my boys got old enough I learned that things had changed. Lawyers had rewritten the program and it had been sanitized. No bullying tolerated of any kind. No hazing. Three deep leadership. A lot less tolerance for bad behavior. The change was necessary and the basic program is still intact. My son's troop was an urban troop and the exposure to outdoors for a good many of the boys was only available through scouting. I loved taking the boy scouts camping knowing it might be their only chance.

turk

Post by turk » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:03 pm

I guess I wanted to be as I remember. Earlier on I used to create pretend army identification cards which we played with. I was a big cheeze.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:26 pm

You still outrank me as
IRON VULTURE
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:11 am

I was thrown out of the cubscouts because my mom was too poor to buy a uniform.....
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.