An Afternoon Out

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Lanval
IAC Addict!

An Afternoon Out

Post by Lanval » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:12 pm

One of my favorite things to do with the van. Take the kid, throw the bikes in and find a place to go.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: An Afternoon Out

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:31 am

Lanval wrote:One of my favorite things to do with the van. Take the kid, throw the bikes in and find a place to go.

What It Is . . . .
a) building self-generated memories in the kid . . . we thank you.
b) exercising the New Generation's physical plant so later health costs are lower . . . we thank you.
c) exercising the Vanagon to keep seals supple and parts lubricated . . . we thank you.
d) giving the wife some alone time/down time . . . she thanks you. :flower:
Colin

(so where did you go? )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 pm

This is actually close to where I live ~ just a couple of minutes for the old van... didn't even have time to warm up. Here's a link to a nice description of it. The views up towards the top of the hills are amazing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bommer_Canyon

I'll keep posting as we go along. Trying to spend more time in the van with the kid. Adventures await....

ML

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Another lovely Sunday, mid 70s with a light breeze. Decided to go down to the Back Bay estuary in Newport Beach. They have a lovely bike path that is a several mile ride out and back from our parking spot. Which you can see here:

and Here's my riding pal helping me with the front wheel:

and a fun shot at one of the viewpoints; don't even ask how much those houses on the cliff in back are.

Next week maybe we'll get out for a couple of days, or even one day further afield...

ML

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:19 pm

An addendum to my first post; Bommer Canyon is a wonderful little piece of territory the Irvine Co. gave back for public use. Here's a picture at sunset looking down the canyon at "downtown" Irvine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Lanval wrote:An addendum to my first post; Bommer Canyon is a wonderful little piece of territory the Irvine Co. gave back for public use.

Man, it is in the 30*s here in Pensacola. I remember our engine job in November of 2010, I ended up camping all winter in Yuma . . . your photographs remind me.

Florida? Better pick it up around here . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Well, it's supposed to rain tomorrow (Thanksgiving) and Friday, but was sunny and mid-70s today. In fact, I went up that canyon again at dusk, to get a little workout in. Weather has been spectacular this fall. Equal only to my freshman year at Oregon. Fall of 1987 it was still hitting high 70s in late October; sunny-blue sky with visibility at near infinite. It lives now only in my memory, I guess.

If you want to wander out west, we'd be delighted, and you and I could probably find a few things to do. Wouldn't mind crawling around Elsinore for an afternoon with you either.

BTW. 1973 VW for sale near my house. Not original paint, hasn't run in years, I'd guess. Interior is a bit torn up. Think I should ask "how much"?*

*should I include the cost of the likely divorce in the total cost?!

ML