Vernal, Utah Vanagon story.

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Vernal, Utah Vanagon story.

Post by Jivermo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:47 pm

My best friend, Zeke, is currently trucking around the southwest camping in his Vanagon. He sent me this tale of a helpful parts girl at the NAPA in Vernal. Maybe it will get back to her from this post, who knows?

22-Vernal

A positive outcome of meshing a young woman with an old car flashed bleak thru my brain as the girl behind the counter said: “Can I help you?” Some old guy to her left was shuffling away and to her right, in a cliquish group, several equally young girls were chatting away. All, even the old guy, had on the same T-shirt professing: We Know or some other such something in big letters across the front. The clear plastic 16 oz cup, half empty of a Double Mocha Single Shot Skinny Cameral Half ‘N Half No Whip Cream Frappuccino sat next to her hand with the name Haley scribbled askance in black on the side. “Yes. Is there a VW dealership in town?” With positive assertiveness and an even, pleasant smile she told me: “No.” and went on to say there were no foreign dealerships in Vernal what so ever. Of garages? … she reminded me that it was Saturday and that this was Utah! “Everything is closed today and we close at noon … except today we close at 3 because it’s Customer Appreciation Day today.” My short story of the failed alternator (indicator light) failed to dampen her countenance or her possibilities of working this “stranger” into a sale, and, with a digitized, computerized, hand sized meter in hand, out to the car we went to verify my suspicions about the part. “How cute!” was her comment on first seeing the Vanagon; she’d never seen one before. Her meter failed to register any juice coming from the alternator; she flipped a few more knobs, same result. I must say she knew her stuff and did have a winning way about her. Back inside with Make, Model, and Year (no air conditioner) she quickly found the part in the computer but not on the shelves behind her. “Tuesday is delivery day.” Here she must have sensed my disappointment and without a second thought and with that same engaging smile she said that maybe her Mom could pick it up in Salt Lake and did I want her to call. “Ah, yes! That would be great!” Quickly from cel phone to computer to land line to cel again then back to the computer, the task was done and my card swiped. Haley assured me the warehouse had just one left and she’d text her Mom with the address. No problem. Salt Lake was only 170 miles away and her Mom should be back by 6. It was now 9am, Vernal was mine for the day. At 3, just before they closed, I returned to see how my order was maturing. Even when Haley said her Mon had the part in hand I could still imagine any number of things going wrong. Oh! I’d paid them already but they needed the “core” (old alternator). Surprising myself with the ease and speed of removal (my 1st delving into the mechanics of the car) I rushed the errant part inside the dark NAPA store. They were closed now but Haley hung back and even “bench tested” the old alternator. Still bad! Only one more thing needed to be done: install the old pulley on the new alternator. She told me Dwayne would return to the store to press it on when her Mon returned with the part. Here we parted. Left in the treeless parking lot under a cloudless sky I waited and worried; there was still plenty to go wrong and I may in fact be here when Tue came. With no word by 8:30 I walked a few blocks to the movie theater to ease my mind … and to kill time till it got dark so I could sleep. NAPA was on Main St, busy Main St, noisy Main St! Dwayne called as I was entering the theater; he’d leave the new alternator with the old pulley by the front tire. Out of the movie by 11 and in bed before midnight I’d see what I got in the morning; it was too dark to do anything anyway. Morning. It looked like the correct part. The installation went as smoothly as the removal; it fit perfectly, even the wire connectors fit! Wow!! I turned the key, the engine kicked on and the alternator light went out. It works! It works! Wow! Haley! I never expected such a positive out come from my first glimpse Haley when I walked thru the door though her manner and bearing never wavered with doubt. If ever in Vernal and need help, see Haley at Main St Auto Parts (NAPA). She’s the Man!

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Re: Vernal, Utah Vanagon story.

Post by jonyem » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:16 am

Great to read stories like this.
Three cheers for Haley.
Late 1973 ASI/Riviera conversion.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 pm

I've visited your beautiful town of Sequim, and enjoyed two very exception treats there. First was a wonderful crab dinner, and the second were some of the best peaches I've ever had in my life, that i bought from an Indian guy selling them out of his station wagon.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:10 pm

ImageImage Desert vanagon

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:31 am

My buddy manages the local napa. I'll show this to him.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?