Planned install of Yakima Roof Rack on Westfalia Pop Top

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

the miz
Addicted!

Planned install of Yakima Roof Rack on Westfalia Pop Top

Post by the miz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi everyone-
I have all of the parts to put a Yakima rack on my Westy pop-top...and I might even have some time to install it pretty soon!
I've got my Wide Body brackets, 1a hi-rise towers, and 78" load bars...I want get this sucker on so I can take my 17' canoe on family camping trips.
Before I get the drill out, I was wondering if anyone had any advice/tips on drilling the pop top fiberglass to mount the Wide Body brackets...special drill bits, special techniques, unexpected problems, etc.?

I am interested to hear everyone's experiences with this process!
Thanks-
the miz
1982 Westy- Vana White

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: Planned install of Yakima Roof Rack on Westfalia Pop Top

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:21 pm

when we took our big canoe camping with the westy I just put it on those foam blocks on the roof and then tied it down.
no need to drill brackets/etc

but - you have to take it down to pop the top this way. I didn't mind, but I could see where someone might want to just mount it on and pop up the top without taking down the canoe first.

1979 California Transporter

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:17 am

airkooledchris wrote:I could see where someone might want to just mount it on and pop up the top without taking down the canoe first.
Yikes, seems like an awful lot of extra weight on the hinges/hardware. Maybe the late bays have sturdier fixings but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting additional stress on our hinges.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:45 am

sped372 wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:I could see where someone might want to just mount it on and pop up the top without taking down the canoe first.
Yikes, seems like an awful lot of extra weight on the hinges/hardware. Maybe the late bays have sturdier fixings but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting additional stress on our hinges.
+1. That would be way too much weight.

Back to the OP's question, the one thing I would suggest would be to use metal backing-plates with the most surface area you can get to fit. I've seen too many Westies with cracked tops from where the owner installed a rack...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:19 am

i have a picture in my head. bucking a headwind, oncoming semi, sudden, strong pressure wave of oncoming semi overcomes already stressed pop top latches, pop top does what pop tops do and it does it with a canoe too!
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.