Oregon Eastside Camp - March 22 - 2012

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Oregon Eastside Camp - March 22 - 2012

Post by hambone » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Great trip! Man am I tired. Good to be home with kid in my arms.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Really awesome trip. Thanks Hambone.
Washed the bus after we got home.
( Actually, Melissa washed the bus, that's why we have kids, right Gypsie.)
I'm ready to go again. Where next.
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Mike, you need to add a "2012" pic to your avatar sequence.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:25 am

tristessa wrote:Mike, you need to add a "2012" pic to your avatar sequence.
When the weather clears up I hope to snap a nice photo in front of the shop and add a third picture.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:28 am

duplicate. see below
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 am

Lil Badger 2012was one for the books.

Lots O' good folk, food, and libations. Great to hang out with the hooligans and the Boell family, whom are fast approaching hooliginism as we speak.

I was going to take a bunch of pictures, but it didn't happen so I will just write a few words.

Friday I set out for the mountain. I chased Mike all the way to the Dalles I just couldn't shave the five minute freeway lead that Mike had to less than a couple minutes, though I flogged that engineand kept it on the edge. (At about 3k since the rebuild this engine is just starting to feel like it's loosening up. It likes being worked)
We joined forces in the Dalles where Mike asked "so have you been there before?". I had been in the general area before, but not at this camp. So I said "sure...pretty much..." It was good that I didn't know about the last leg into camp...

We made good time overland and the last slog up Tygh Ridge. At 2661 feet there was a solid 3 inches of snow on the ground. We were going to be at at 2200 so it should be ok, right...?

We passed around Tygh Valley just as the last of the light was fading. I knew where we were going, pretty much but there was that last little bit into camp...Maybe we would be going to camp option B.

When we got to the decidin' time there was a big white VW sign. Great, we're here. there's the sign....smack dab in the center of the fork..!!!.. Snow on the ground...little snow covered road heading down yonder into the black, bigger clear area but even more snow covered area up top, ...Plan A or Plan B?... which way do you think the sign means?...

We decide that heading down would be okay...Right?....?

We dove over the edge down the narrow road that we immediately recognize as one that we will not be doing anything but continuing to the bottom, cause they aint no goin' back now... We hit a steep patch with a deep rut cut from the runoff and snow melt. The ground was wet and several spots were mud slick. Little slip, little slide and I'm thinkin' "Mike is following me into ruin.... with his family." Oh well, think I in my Gypsie way, At least we would be together and I knew he packed more food than I did. Half way down there was a flat spot that looked like it was as good as any to be stuck at, so I stopped and give Mike one last chance to save himself and his crew. Big smile and an 'in for a penny in for a pound' attitude and we moved on... there was another little slippery spot but I caught a glimpse of a lantern and knew others were here so I goosed it knowing this was it over and down into camp. Mike on the other hand, had seen me drop over a rise into the black all Jack rabbit like and had second thoughts. He parked started out on foot to see where this all played out. He was met by a welcome committee and he continued on into camp.

OK, I hereby nominate myself for the "nervous nelly" award cause I was truly nervous about our ability to get back out of this little valley. I imagined a tow truck anchor winching one after the other up a few of the slippery spots. Others were not so concerned, though I think there was some liquid courage floatin' around...Oh well, we'd find out when it was time to leave and we weren't leavin right then for sure. Needed me some liquid courage.

The next day and a half was spent playin' in the woods, stuffing of faces, and good beer. We dug a trench to divert some of the runoff out of the pinball chute we had to use to get out. The road looked a little less imposing in the daytime, but there were still a few spots that had me thinkin'. I had some chainsaw fun and we made a big pile of wood. Randy collected quotes (that...ahem... should not be mentioned here, whether it quivers or not...), Jasan made sure the fire heat was still workin' which took all of his concentration. I could tell cause he closed his eyes a lot to focus on the heat..., Bob worked on trails, and the Boell family blended right into the mix, Mike's daughter is a real outdoor trooper.

The morning of the pack up was quieter and faster than usual, a hint of at least some thought about slipping around on the way up. Five minutes and few aggressive bounces over the ruts and we were up top.

Big sigh of relief and homeward bound.

The wagon ran great out and back. Can't wait for the next one.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:55 am

Nice write-up Gypsie.
Imma thinkin Melissa will not soon forget this campout, nor will I. :cyclopsani:
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

deschutestrout
IAC Addict!

Post by deschutestrout » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 pm

Ha! Great write up Stephan! Sorry I missed it ... sounds like you had a good and adventurous time!
"You're not always obligated to paint an outhouse." Ruckman 2011

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:51 pm

That was a fun trip. I needed it. Really let the bus stretch its legs on the trip back.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 pm

I apologize for putting you guys through that road. I get so used to taking chances on these bad old roads and sometimes regret it. Just being at that crossroads in the deep snow seemed ludicrous, down the chute was nothing at that point...Actually Randy and I both decided together so he's gotta share the blame. Honestly it was much better the next day after the snow melted and we figured you guys would be OK.
On the uphill, my bus didn't have much power at first. Great. And then I see the emergency brake on.
Sorry guys, for group camps I will try to pick good roads. Unfortunately the best camps are down bad roads. All that Roaring River stuff for example. It is also hard to predict what the next year will bring to the roads, it's a long harsh winter. Last time I was down Lil B the road wasn't nearly as crazy.
I was glad to be someplace warm afterwards. All that snow really drains you. And all the fun and beer and bottlerockets.

"That was a fun trip. I needed it. Really let the bus stretch its legs on the trip back."
Yeah me too! And passing semis at 70, Mike hanging on the whole way back. I would like a type4 bus for those longer trips however.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:40 pm

Nah the gnarlier the road the better the camp spot. I liked it. I've been through much worse. Of course that gives me confidence that might get me in trouble some day. At least I'll have a nice comfy place to sleep if so.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:43 am

hambone wrote:I apologize for putting you guys through that road. I get so used to taking chances on these bad old roads and sometimes regret it. Just being at that crossroads in the deep snow seemed ludicrous, down the chute was nothing at that point...
No apologize needed here.
Westy78 wrote:Nah the gnarlier the road the better the camp spot. I liked it. I've been through much worse.
I have not been down a nasty road or mud chute such as it was. Not camping much outside a campground is new to me and having little experience on how the bus would trudge through the muck and the mud scared me. Not so much on the way down but how we were going to get back out. Of coarse with my daughter and wife with me, I couldn't let on to just how worried I really was. Once through the chute when Gypsie jumped out of his rig wide eyed saying "I'm a bit worried", I guess that's when I first thought. Oh chit!, followed by,
Westy78 wrote: At least I'll have a nice comfy place to sleep.
By they way, did anyone take a photo of the chute before, during, and or after?
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:24 am

hambone wrote: the best camps are down bad roads.
This is why we go.

We, each of us, has to decide whether or not to go down them.

The lesson for me was to follow my own inner pilot and check for myself, not disregard my concerns if I wasn't sure, especially in the dark with snow on the ground. I could have easily walked down the road first to check it out. I probably would have said "no way" while I was walking down and then found you all at the bottom all cozy by the fire and come on down anyway. My adrenaline rush came mostly from a bunch of unknowns (Is there a road on the other side of that rise?....Will I have the traction to get back up this hill? Will I be able to stop if I need to?...Will I be able to turn around?...) all those thoughts buzzing around in my head...Combined with thoughts of a bus with a family and trailer behind me. I was feeling that someone had put trust in me and, in my haste, I had not confirmed safety for myself. I was feeling a responsibility for a potential bad situation. My own issue, I know, but a contributor to my anxiety. So I will wear my Nervous Nelly badge as a reminder to "trust but verify"

Each one of these gnarly roads helps me build confidence in my rig's abilities and hones my back road skills.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:14 pm

A wonderful trip. I guess I'll keep my list of memorable quotes to myself. Nice spending time with Mike & Family.

Bob & I met up at his place Thursday Morning. We had planned to leave then but school started late because of snow. We ended up leaving around 11:30. Very nice drive along the Columbia River but worry slowly grew as we approached our destination.

Your intrepid explorers pause briefly to contemplate our chosen fate.

As we stare down the road to oblivion our sense of adventure overrides our instincts of self preservation and we decide to press on.
Pondering his own mortality, Hambone stands upon the road that is the final and most treacherous leg of our journey.

With knowledge of the extremely degraded conditions of the roads in Oregon's cusp between temperate rain forest and high desert, our worry was more about what was under the snow then the snow itself. Being encouraged by Hambone's apparent ease in traversing the road that was the cause of our dismay, I press on with growing enthusiasm.

Until.....

As I did my best to follow in the tracks laid by the HamWagen, I slowly began sliding to the left. My rusty steed ignored ignored all coercion as I tried to bear right. Then gravity decided to pull me further downward regardless of my attempts to stall my seemingly inevitable roll into this small ravine that could spell the death (or at least serious injury) of your humble author. Suddenly, as I prepare to soon be lying on my side, my beloved bus stops just an inch or so short of the point of no escape.

The next day we were able to see the cause of my little incident that seemed much more dire as it occurred.

After my orifices unclenched, I climbed out of the Bus and started down the road calling for my only hope of salvation. I then hear his omnipotent voice calling back to me from the snow and trees. Within a few minutes my savior blesses your author with divine intervention to help free me from grips of demise. (that means he pushed on the bus while I floored it in reverse.)

I made my way very cautiously for the short remainder of our journey only to be met with a wonderland that made the cost of my soiled under garments well worth it.

After much needed micro-brewed libations we set up camp.

The following days produced a festival of outdoor delights. I feel embarrassment for doubting the abilities of my Air-Cooled chariot and pay homage by spending the next three days celebrating the completion of our harrowing journey.

The cover photo for Hambone's new single "Little Badger Blues".

Waterfall at the end of the ravine that attempted to swallow my bus.

The snow appeared to glow at dusk.

Eventually the rest of the souls this modern day Mr. Donner we call Hambone had bamboozled into embarking on this journey arrived. Also questioning the intentions of this Mad Man of the Mountains who had used his rustic charm to ply us into our endeavor.

This vagrant even had us breaking the law on Federal land!

This trip home was much drier but just as picturesque.

Got home Sunday afternoon and immediately went fishing at Henry Hagg the next morning. Not even one nibble but still very relaxing.

An amazing trip despite the wicked intentions of this Nosferatu in hippie clothing they call Hambone. :geek:
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:55 pm

Man, you weren't kidding about there being a lot more snow the day before I got there. Imagine Gypsies freak out if it still looked like that when he got there? :bounce: :pale: