Sylvester going to Cloudland Canyon State Park, Georgia

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Sylvester going to Cloudland Canyon State Park, Georgia

Post by Sylvester » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:29 pm

If everything works out, we will be heading back to Cloud Canyon State Park this weekend, 02/03-02/05. This park is outside of Chattanooga and not far from Lookout Mountain, for all the Civil War buffs out there. We camped here a year ago, and I always wanted to go back when I had more time to stay. This time we'll be there Friday to Sunday. This is an event hosted by the Vanagon Club of Atlanta. I don't know any of them yet, but it is time to get out and meet some fellow VW'ers. So if y'all can get near and make time, I highly recommend the Park. Zabo, VWGirl? What cha doing this weekend?

Dead of Winter http://www.facebook.com/events/332267243451288/

This is a few pictures from 2010 when we went. This is the picture I took, it had rained all night, and the clouds were low and moving through the valley:

Me and my wife.

It will be in the 50's this weekend, but this would have been neat to go see with ice:

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Sylvester going to Cloudland Canyon State Park, Georgia

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Right on. Looking forward to the Nehalem camp this same weekend, we'll hoist a few in your name.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:38 pm

I use to go to that... Nice bunch of people the vanagon club though i thought it was one of the older bus clubs that hosted it? maybe they just use to? One of them bought me a heater to put in my bus one year and refused payment. It was 17F and I was by myself... freezing cold. But no, I am not going. I won't be going up that way until I go to chattanooga for bugapaluza. Only so many times I can visit cloudland canyon... and as beautiful as it is. it's too cold. Even though its not that cold right now.

Hope you have a great time!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Beautiful! Take lots of pix and have a great time.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:02 am

ruckman101 wrote:Right on. Looking forward to the Nehalem camp this same weekend, we'll hoist a few in your name.

neal
What is your weather going to be like up there? We will have upper 50's in the day, mid 40's in the nightbut supposed to rain a lot on Saturday.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:56 am

wish we could make it- give me more notice next time! :sunny:
love it up there
60 beetle
78 bus

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:55 am

VWGirl wrote:I use to go to that... Nice bunch of people the vanagon club though i thought it was one of the older bus clubs that hosted it? maybe they just use to? One of them bought me a heater to put in my bus one year and refused payment. It was 17F and I was by myself... freezing cold. But no, I am not going. I won't be going up that way until I go to chattanooga for bugapaluza. Only so many times I can visit cloudland canyon... and as beautiful as it is. it's too cold. Even though its not that cold right now.

Hope you have a great time!
Not cold but will rain. Not looking forward to that, but with rain you never know, it may rain all day or rain 10 minutes. I guess we take our chances, but if it is too bad to enjoy then we will either bug out of reconsider going altogether. It is no fun hanging out under pavilions all day when you are surrounded by trails and woods. I could do it, but the wife would make it apparent that this is no fun.
I have camped once in the Bus when it snowed, we had the porcelain heater there and it sure helped. That sure was nice of the person who got you the heater, I bet it made a difference. I will take mine just in case.

It is a beautiful place to go indeed.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:58 pm

hambone wrote:Beautiful! Take lots of pix and have a great time.
You know I will take lots of pictures. It's what I do!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Should be a good weekend here, too. Sunny or partly cloudy, all weekend, highs near 60 degrees.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Report from the top of the mountain! It rained a lot last night, slept good! There are about 8 buses here, even from the Peach State transporters. It is raining cats and dogs now, but we did go hiking and cooked up a lot for the pot luck!

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 pm

it was always a peach state transporters show... when did vanagon club take over anyway?

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:48 am

VWGirl wrote:it was always a peach state transporters show... when did vanagon club take over anyway?
I am too new to any of the clubs, I read about it on the Vanagon Facebook page, but did not see where anyone had a specific sponsor for it. I will post pictures tonight, I have a funny dog story from the pot luck dinner we went to!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:09 pm

You know I will take lots of pictures. It's what I do!
or maybe I could just read
I will post pictures tonight
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Have to get that coffee going early!

A Bay Dorrmobile, not many of these around here.

Dake came from Maine and stayed in a lot of hospital garages instead of a rest stop, a Wal Mart or desert.

Love the Vanagon for the space!

I have never seen a trailer like this one. I liked it.

Econoline represent! My father owned two of these, but not a pick up version.

Believe it or not this is a Airstream, but with the steel ends, aluminum middle and painted from the factory. I want one!

The President of the Peach State Transporters.

Starting the hike into the valley below, to the waterfalls.

Nice tree in the valley.

Hiking to the valley below. It was sheer face up the cliff, but stairs to the bottom.

At the bottom next to the waterfall. Me and the wife after walking DOWN 600 odd stairs and four miles of paths. Walking back would be a bit harder!

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:10 am

Only 600 stairs? You must have only gone to one of the waterfalls then lol.

Do you have any more pics of Les's splitty trailer? I haven't gotten to check it out in person yet.