Pine Mountain and Calloway Gardens Harvest Moon Festival

All About How You Home Away From Home.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Pine Mountain and Calloway Gardens Harvest Moon Festival

Post by Sylvester » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:11 am

Sylvester and the gang headed to the Southeast Georgia Mountains this time, for camping and relaxing. Down a noisy and crowded I-85 escaping the traffic and noise of Atlanta, we drove out 62.5 miles an hour until we took some back roads to the heart of Georgia and the smell of the pines and the cool breeze of Autumn. We camped down the road in a nice spot.

We went to the concerts, we saw the B-52's, Shawn Colvin, Parachute, Dread Clampitt and Allgood, the Gin Blossoms, John Hiatt, Shawn Mullins, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Mat Kearney, Infantree, Company of Thieves, Ed Roland & The Sweet Tea Project (he was in Collective Soul), Classic Addict, Already Taken, Derek T. Givans, Stevie Monce and David Ryan Harris (Our local guy). Some I knew, some I didn't. It was right on the shore of the lake. Really you could not ask for a better site.
I have to admit the best group to me was the Gin Blossoms, that lead singer is great. A tragic story for that group, but I hope they continue with more songs.

We had hippie chicks selling garments with a Bus logo for their store. This booth was packed in all the time.

There was even another Bus at the location, did not meet them but I did take a shot of their Bus.

I ate enough stuff to feed three for the weekend, the food vendors were diverse and good. We walked the many miles of gardens, the leaves here are just turning but it was warm enough to enjoy walking around without freezing or sweating to death. You can walk or ride bikes, no riding for me this weekend they were rented out of bikes and the tree walking/repelling event.

They have a huge butterfly center. We went in and after taking 50 or so shots, I got a few that actually turned out. Here is one:

Turtles, ducks and fish. You feed them and they went nuts. Never seen ducks and snappers so close before.

They had a birds of prey show. Got a few shots of birds in flight, this is an owl swooping over the audience.

There are lots of ponds and streams in the woods. I got some better shots of this part of the woods:

Log cabin from the 1830's. The bricks make this shot:

Saturday night after the Gin Blossoms, time for smores and hot dogs.

It rained half the night, we waited for it to clear to pack up. Still have half a Bus with wet gear getting cleared up today.

On the way home we stopped to see Warm Springs and the Little White House where FDR passed away in 1945.

I want to come back and go through the springs and get in them, you can still use the springs someplace. We will be coming back to this site, lots to do, and we have to go eat at the Whistling Pig Cafe the next time. Ya'll come back now, hea?

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Pine Mountain and Calloway Gardens Harvest Moon Festival

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:24 am

Wow! A bit of everything. What a great trip.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:57 am

Looks great!
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:01 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Wow! A bit of everything. What a great trip.

neal
Yes no bears and fewer yellow jackets this time! I have to admit this was the best camping trip overall I have been on in awhile. No sweating to death in your tent at 12:00AM, no cold wind and rain coming down sideways, and lots to do and close by. The town of Pine Mountain was a throwback to me being a kid and going to visit the kin folk in Kentucky back in the 1970's, they had self perm kits for sale in the Super Value store and biscuit syrup on the shelves. Lots of pigs ears in the meat department, and bags of cracklins. When I get old and am no longer working for a living, I will escape to such a town as Pine Mountain with my Bus and wife, and disappear.

Really you could come here and just drift away, I tried but was constantly taking pictures. My wife did a better job as shown here.

I have a blast shooting everything I can. I am a junkie now, I need more lenses.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.