IAC's visit with Mr Blotto (6/4/07)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

IAC's visit with Mr Blotto (6/4/07)

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Colin arrived just after 9am today in his beautiful blue bus. We got started right away with a look at the weather forecast (rain), a few cups of French Roast coffee (Starbucks) and 2 Blotto-McMuffins (yummy). We spent the next hour or so discussing the basics of my engine, tuning proceedures, and fuel injection. Then it was off to the garage to adjust my hydraulic valves. As evidence of years of prior neglect and running hot, 7 out of my 8 valve adjusting screws were frozen on :pale: . After spending several hours trying to free up the frozen adjusters, we decided to claim defeat and proceed on. We then completely tuned my bus (pulled distributer, adjusted and cleaned points, checked dwell, checked timing, and adjusted the fuel injection). We also found and replaced a few rotten and brittle vacuum and fuel breather hoses. Colin then cleaned up a ground issue I was having in my passesnger tail light assembly - now I can acually use my turn signals!!!!!

Then it was off for a test drive and a detailed lesson in double clutching (that will take me a little time to master :blackeye: ) and trying to avoid the north suburban police :pirate: .

After the test drive, we loosened up my poor, over-tightened steering box.

My bus is now running and riding better than ever.

The "day" ended at 9pm when Colin drove out of my driveway to head off to Ohio (get ready Don!!!), and to get some weak, burnt convienence-store coffee and a Hostess sugar bomb :geek:. Those frozen adjuster screws slowed us down, but I now have a greater appreciation of how these buses work, and how to maintain them.

I was very pleased with Colin's visit and felt that it was very much worth the investment. He is a great person, teacher, and now, a friend.

After a 12 hour day, I need water, food, and a bath (oh, and 8 German valve adjusters :flower: ).

Thanks Colin!

Paul - aka Mr Blotto
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

turk

Post by turk » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:46 pm

I think I've seen your bus before. I don't remember where exactly but I do remember seeing a nice sage green one somewhere in Lincoln Park. I drive around alot on my job. There's some nice ones around. I think yours is one of the nicer looking ones. Yeah, it's well worth the investment! You get more than physical work on your bus. You get real information, an expert's opinion, encouragment and training (I'm still having problems mastering the proper clutch technique as opposed to what I was comfortable with before- but I'm getting there, it's kinestheteic knowledge. double clutching I havn't even tried yet). I owe more to Colin as far as I'm concerned.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:12 am

There's no substitute for his IAC service. You couldn't get shop time at a garage for what he charges, let alone a home service call with instruction on how to do things for yourself.
I don't care how long you are into VWs and what you learn the hard way over time, there are so many "aha!" details you can get from him.

Rob

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:36 am

turk wrote:I think I've seen your bus before. I don't remember where exactly but I do remember seeing a nice sage green one somewhere in Lincoln Park. I drive around alot on my job. There's some nice ones around. I think yours is one of the nicer looking ones.
It was usually parked on Wrightwood or Altgeld west of Ashland. However, we have now moved north (out of the city) so you might not see it for a while. If it was mine that you saw, thanks for the compliment.
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:11 am

The forum must be informed. . . .

*>Mr. Blotto has a fine 1978 VW Westy<*
It was a pleasure to drive and felt fresh as a daisy.

His engine was also the very first I have ever experienced with coked-solid adjuster screws, the heads must have experienced hellacious heat in the past. That steering, I didn't get to test it after we re-adjusted it, but it has real potential to arrive at that VW light precison nirvana.

A worthy investment and no doubt a future loyal long-term member of the family.

Enjoyed our day, Mr. Blotto, even with the rain punctuating our valve adjustment.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Doc1982
I'm New!

Re: IAC's visit with Mr Blotto (6/4/07)

Post by Doc1982 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:27 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:and trying to avoid the north suburban police :pirate: .
LOL, I so don't miss those days! Sounds like it's time to move down south to me :rock:
1977 Westy
Just Enough Spare Time

Yesterday is History
Tomarrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift!