You keep on truckin.....er, bussin, girl!!!!!! :flower:
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:28 am

Elwood wrote: goats with the curled horns, maybe sheep?
Those are likely big horn sheep. They're the ones that do battle for male superiority by running head first into each other. Sometimes they hit so hard, blood flows from their ears. They take a few seconds to get their bearings again and go at it again... Very tough animals. There used to be a huge herd of then near where I grew up, unfortunately the hunters killed them all off.

There was a sign that said "watch for Big Horn Sheep on road" and someone added a y after horn. I laughed every time I saw it!
Love your bus.

77 Westy

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:44 am

I guess those animals can be very deadly. I read a story a couple of years ago about an elderly couple who were mauled to death. the police said it was the most gruesome "crime" scene he'd ever seen. Lesson; keep your distance.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:40 pm

SO jealous! And happy for you.

1. Those are dall sheep you saw, I do believe. You're right in the area where they begin.

2. Do they still have signs posted up at Liard Hotsprings about the starving black bear that mauled the tourists several years ago?

3. Don't worry about showers... the water has tons of sulfur in it.
And just move to the SUPER HOT end of the pool right before you get out. I mean, if you're worried about disease-carrying humans. Personally, I'd do NO worrying and ONLY relaxing.

When I was there last, there was a dead frog floating in the water... no doubt he lept into the hot end of the pool and sizzled.

Rock on, sister!

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:57 pm

Velokid1 wrote: 1. Those are dall sheep you saw, I do believe. You're right in the area where they begin.
You're probably right - I forgot she was so far north! Things of beauty. Then again, so many wild animals are.
Love your bus.

77 Westy

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:15 pm

bottomend wrote:Does anyone have a map of the route Elwood is driving? Please post it!
BE, when trying to use google maps, it's difficult to follow the route. I found the best map in a north American road atlas (sorry, can't share here). From BC, the road to Inuvik goes through the Yukon for many miles before crossing into the Northwest Territories. Inuvik is in the northwest corner of NT. Just east of Dawson in the Yukon, route 5 branches north to Inuvik. Or travelers can continue west through Dawson and enter Alaska.

Liard hotspring is at the very northern edge of BC, SE of Watson Lake. There are 2 alternate routes from Watson Lake to Dawson, so I don't know anyone's plans. Try searching google maps for these town names, or any of those mentioned by Barb.

Barb~ sorry the springs were crowded. You were there on a Saturday night? I usually prefer hotsprings when things are calm and quiet, but that might not be possible in the land of the midnight sun. Is there a campground or a lodge there? Store? Sounds like you were in a parking lot, but if it's not packed, what are the options? Does it cost to use the spring or enter the park? Velo, do you know? I found some photos online, but not the answers to these questions.
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:26 pm

Elwood wrote:I want the Sticker that says Elwoods been to the Arctic Circle :flower:
Heck, I'll send the original artwork of the 2007 AC logo, too.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:32 pm

I don't recall paying for parking or springs useage at Liard, but considering how nice the facilities are, I would be surprised if they didn't ask me to pay something. Both times I was there, there was snow on the ground still. Talk about serenity.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:28 am

To answer some questions~~ after crossing border at Blaine, took hwy 1 to Cache Creek BC and then took the 97 north to Dawson Creek BC where it starts the Alaskan Highway to Fairbanks Alaska. I had drivin 4,068 miles at Llarid Hot Springs. I took the 1 north at Watson Lake now in the Yukon Territories to White Horse (Capital) then the 2 north heading for Dawson City. That is where the Dempster Hwy starts to go to the circle or to Inuvic.

And Birdie I had every intention of hitting the springs mid-week, but the road and stuff just gets in the way of , in my case, not even knowing what day it is. There is a $5.00 a day use fee for each person or $10.00 per car load. The camp ground is $17.00 per night, that was full so I payed $14.00 for what they call overflow and is the same as day use parking by the entrance to the walk to pools. It has clean pit toliets, fire rings and tables. There are warning signs about the bears but not that perticular story. The hot end of the pool was way to hot for me but I bet it would be ok in winter. It is a very large area, so many people can be there with out feeling crowded. I don,t think it would make too much diff. of week-end or not as the Huge RVS and tour busses come and go for the day use fee.
There is a Lodge accross the street with restarunt and supplies but was closed due to some septic issues. The bikers I was next to were very disapointed, because they visit every year on way to rallys and plan on eating there. It is a very special place, just too many people.

The weather has been wild with lots of storms but is good for Elwoods staying cool. I really hit some mozzies that got the best of me last night, nothing I had worked for repellant or anti itch. I have two eyes but one is not very good and the little varmits hit the one good one and was swollen shut, making driving impossible. ONward still heading north till the 21 st.

Love, B/E
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

bottomend

Post by bottomend » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:30 pm

Holy Moly! What a route! I just followed along on my map and it's a LOOOOONG way!

Have you changed your oil yet?

bottomend

Post by bottomend » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:33 pm

How many other busses are doing this trip? We haven't heard a peep out of anyone 'cept Elwood....

How much is gas up there right now?

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:04 pm

BE - Near as I can tell there are 2 other buses but we haven't heard from them since the 8th. I think I read that something was spilled on their notebook.

Jeremy
I'm New!

Post by Jeremy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:50 am

Gas here in Edmonton is hovering around a dollar a litre, call it $3.50 US a gallon or so. It'd be a bit more up there.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:20 am

Wow what a drivin, Dame I was today. Now sitting in a campground in Dawson City, it is 1am and bright as day out . The road here that cuts off the Alaskan Highway is called the Klodike and it is narrow and full of pot holes and lots of bridge and repair going on. But still fun and remote to drive on, just have to keep a eye out for really large pot holes and breaks in the surface. Would be very easy to flip off the side. No shoulder at all. Seemed odd to drive past the Demster Hwy turn off but I wanted to see this historic city. Pulled in about midnite and most places are closed but lots of people millin around the saloons. I wanted too also, but have been driving over 12 hours and tired, want to hit the visitor center when they open at 8am to meet a person I was told about. Blackboard out side says Dempter road open and clear but delays due to work. I plan on driving 100 miles of it tommorrow and the remaining 150 on the 21st to the circle. I will take a picture of my hero Elwood in front of the sign and If any one is around I get in the pic also.

No I have not changed oil but have added about 2 qts . Still looks clean on dip stick and not smoking. Will more than likly do some of that after I reach my goal and head south.

AS far as other buses go DjEep is the only other one I know of up here. Not sure if they were going to head up this way or not. He has been on line somewhere to read stuff. Try looking over at Love My Bus, he is more involved with that site. There are places that let you use a computer and free wifi. This camp ground has it but the signal was too low so Im picking up a signal from some other close place. Its a real small world, but no cell phone signal any where. That kinda makes me nervous after having it so many years with that AAA button. Oh well I think my main man and I are doing perty darn good :flower: On on batt power and need to sleep for a BIG day on the Dempster tommorrow. Be back in touch after the deed is done :cheers:

Love B/E camped by the Yukon river
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:27 am

Wow! What a journey. You're gonna be a seasoned adventure veteran when you get back. Great story so far! :flower:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat