June 1st, 2007 I'm on the road

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:11 pm

:cheers:

Glad to hear that you and Elwood are doing well, sure sounds like an amazing trip....nothing better then being out on the road in yer bus.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:53 pm

I SAW TWO BLACK BEARS TODAY :bounce: Put n 300mi today and now in a hotel w/wifi in Dawson Creek. Much larger than expected, even a Wal-Mart :pukeleft: Lots of space up here but towns are a growing.

Was going thru a area near Mackenzie posted for Moose crossing and had hoped to see one, but better yet in the very lush green clover by the side of the road was the biggest bear Ive ever seen, just munching on the growth. He look right at me, no space to pull over as many large trucks, going really fast come by and around me about every 10 min. He was really shiny healthy black and I was so excited to see my first in the wild. About 5 miles farther was another one scratching his behind on a sign post. They really stood out against the bright green of spring.

When I fueled up in Prince George I noticed some one else filling there gas can. So I thought I would also just for the practice. Glad I did because after 216 miles I was on R. It was not hard to do and the 5gal was enough for me to keep driving into Dawson Creek at after 9pm and sun still bright. I did not plot a campground out and that was a mistake I won,t make again. There are many private ones but the provential ones are sometimes hard to see untill you pass the signs up. Have taken pictures I will get to but left my cord in bus way down in parking lot. Maybe in the morning. Should make it to Llaird in two days.

Elwood still dripping small amount of oil from oil cleaner. Will change oil in awhile and get new cleaner can and make sure its tight. Will be figuring miles and fuel cost in am and post results before I unplug for don,t know how long. So far its been easy as I told you about Visitor Centers in every burg. They also have computer you can use so if any one is in contact with DjEep, let him know to stop off in one and give us a report-heck they are probly on the Dempster already.

Love B/E
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:55 am

Elwood wrote: 1) I SAW TWO BLACK BEARS TODAY

2) many large trucks, going really fast every 10 min.

3) after 9pm and sun still bright.

4) Elwood still dripping small amount of oil from oil cleaner.
1) :blackknight:

2) paved roads or gravel? You think they'll pepper Elwood with dings when it is all gravel all the time?

3) That makes me jealous here in cloudy Connecticut with relentless low pressure parked off the Atlantic at 63* and misty.

4) Air cleaner? If it is a slight overfill past the red line, don't worry about it, excess oil will still help capture dust before it is ingested in the engine.

Enjoy that gorgeous piece of Earth up there.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:13 am

Amskeptic wrote:
1) :blackknight:

2) paved roads or gravel? You think they'll pepper Elwood with dings when it is all gravel all the time?

3) That makes me jealous here in cloudy Connecticut with relentless low pressure parked off the Atlantic at 63* and misty.

4) Air cleaner? If it is a slight overfill past the red line, don't worry about it, excess oil will still help capture dust before it is ingested in the engine.

Enjoy that gorgeous piece of Earth up there.
Colin

3) That makes ME jealous. 90* and sun sun sun sun ... yuck!

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:38 am

Yes the bears did give me reason to think a bit more at pulling off just anywhere :cyclopsani: they were really BIG!

The roads have all been paved two lane with periodic passing lanes. Very narrow shoulder with no guards and rough asphalt ridges to keep you on tract. They are raised so if you were to go off it would be a crash. The trucks do kick up alot and I hear "Pings" but Elwoods' paint is bad anyway so Im more concerned with windsheild and headlights. If I were to drive the gravel Dempster, I would tape both for a bit of protection.

The cleaner is the oil one for my external cooler. Air-cleaner is fine.

It was so bright and sunny at 5am I thought I had over sleept. I will get to a campgroud earlier tonight to try to get on a better scudual for rest and sleep.

Got my picts from my camera to my 'puter but my brain is not working for the resizing. I do have other skills, but right now can,t think of any :pale:

For those of you going to Maupin for Fathers day, have a great time and be sure and POST PICTURES~~sorry I could not resist :flower:

Next stop Fort Nelson.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:24 am

Good to hear from you! Keep th reports coming.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:58 am

Wow Barb, that is great!! It really must be nice to be on the road with Elwood, looking at that beautiful scenery thru that big bay window, changing with every corner. I am jealous. :flower: Keep on smilin and drivin, and I can't wait to read your next update!
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

Jeremy
I'm New!

Post by Jeremy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:29 pm

You should see a lot more bears along the way as you go north. I've never had a problem with one whenever I've encountered them. I used to bump into them quite regularly mountain biking in Whistler, and one morning I woke up to one sitting looking in the vestibule of my tent! Keep posting, and make everyone so stoked to go that they actually save some money, and set aside time to do it next year! :joker:

Jeremy

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:13 pm

Now in Fort Nelson last place to restock before Llaird and THE YUKON :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Spent two days on the Sikanni Chief river at a private camp I found out about in Dawson Creek. Parked right on the bank. They were great owners and I laughed alot. Shower, washing machine and some supplies.
$14.00 bucks a night and free wood. I had stopped in Fort St John for fuel and the visitor center was right accross the street. It is the first and largest of all and I just wanted info about Emercency cb channels. I was greeted by three seasoned ladies that not only GAVE me latest edition of the Mile Post, but one of their sons did the updates for it. It now has wifi and better road information. They strongly incouraged me to take the Dempster with out fear. So well traveled now help would be along soon. There are so very many large RVS on the road It won,t be too long before they make it a toll road. I will make my dececision when I get there. Would rather wait and take Jake next year with a stronger engine than Elwoods. He is running fine but the long grades and almost constant rain makes for tense driving. A windsheild washer would help alot because when the large vehicles pass in any direction these Baywindows really catch the mud. The ladies also gave me a new mug. I,ve felt welcomed everywhere. The sceanery is beyond anything a postcard could do justice Oh and I saw a moose day before yesterday, it was getting ready to jump up on the road but went back down. Did,nt want to mess with the bluesbus. Have only seen one other Baywindow going south, it was bright yellow/white and gave me a big wave. Lost count at the peace signs, whistles and great comments from people old and young that love the bus and want to buy one. Obviously having the time of my life~wish you all were here~ bought a bottle of Champagne to celebrate the Solstice no matter how close I get by the 21st. The Milepost says it starts on the 21st and continues for 5 weeks ??? Last night it was light till after midnight and was light again at 4am. Getting some better sleep and feel good.

Off to hit the Hot Springs before dark. Love B/E
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:44 pm

before dark? when you get to the springs, there won't be much 'dark' left! hee hee. That's crazy... the midnight sun. Have a nice soak! The day of the bears, the day of the moose.
71 bus, 74 westy

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:50 am

Thank you Barb for sharing your experiences. Hooray! Keep us posted we are with you in spirit
-Russ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:21 pm

Elwood wrote:Last night it was light till after midnight and was light again at 4am. Getting some better sleep and feel good.
Love B/E
Right on, Baywindow IAC Pioneer. . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:31 pm

Can you believe Elwood and I are in the Yukon :cheers: Had to stop for some ~ well 8hrs on road today from Llaird Hot springs two nighter. Before that stop saw 3 more black bears, one a moma and two babies, too fast into the woods for picts but also saw three moose and Mt. goats with the curled horns, maybe sheep? but I think not. Got picts of those.

It is so very cool to see these animals in there natural inviroment from my bus and not a tour bus like in "Wild Animal Park" SD,Ca. Oh lots of buffalo and as I was getting settaled at the over-flow spot at the Hot Springs, I spotted a DjEep and mate walking back from pools. Said they had been there about three days and had made friends and considering jobs. Anthony and I visited later and he filled me in on there trip so far, I will leave that story to them to relay to forum.

I was by the greatest two dudes on Harleys from Quebec that spoke french, that language is so beautifull it was music to my ears along with great tunes blasted from a sound system on his bike. We laughed and danced till well after one in the am , still lite out. Next day I got going after 10am (my usuall time) walked my self down to the pools on a boardwalk crossing very unusuall flora/fauna. LOts of other folks doing the same, but all nice and full of smiles and hello's , I was glad I did this but not my cup of tourist tea. I did get in the pools, but honestly I have a adversion to lots of strange people and many children all in the same brew of hot water. No showers are available there so I felt sticky and well bitten by the mozzies that wait to attact you out of the pool. But like I said "Been there ~ done that"

Headed out this am to try to reach White Horse but at Watson Lake, The place that has all the sign post , it started hailing so hard I stopped so my winsheild would not break to let the cell pass. Speaking of cells as in telephone, they use satilite and not cb, wish I would have reserched that a bit more before spending the money on something obsolete. Are you reading this Static????

Will head for Dawson City by way of White Horse in the am. As I ve said before, nothing is impossible, but may not reach the circle by the 21st , but darn I want the Sticker that says Elwoods been to the Arctic Circle :flower:
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

regalasr
Getting Hooked!

Post by regalasr » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:48 pm

Awesome :flower:
I got all the baywindow parts

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:54 pm

Does anyone have a map of the route Elwood is driving? Please post it!