June 1st, 2007 I'm on the road

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:07 pm

When we came back down from AK, that was my very first impression and the most striking and lasting one.... how rude people are everywhere else! Or is it that people in the B.C., Y.T. and AK are just nicer than heck? Dunno.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:42 am

Yes Colin the tranny is still doing all those sounds but at diff times. Just a slight whine in 4th going 60 to 70 but more of a howl in 3rd. Hard to tell when it started, was on really rough and nosiey roads for days, could not even hear engine. It shifts fine and all gears work. Just going to take it as easy as possible to get the last 1000 miles to home. Leaving Portland today. Sent you pictures in e-mail.

And yes velo-kid the people up there were ALL nice and kind. I will return someday to stay longer at many places. Funny staying here in a Portland hotel, I felt my first fear in the parking lot, checking out Elwood. Just road weary and need to get home. B/E
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

soulful66
Addicted!

Post by soulful66 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:20 pm

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful trip with your bus. Lucus oil additive helped me on my old pickup. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
Best Regards,
John
'72 westy 3TC
'73 westy 1700 dual solex
'79 westy 2000 F.I.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:32 pm

Barb and Elwood! IAC paging Barb and Elwood! Are you there? yoo hoo... don't leave us in suspense. :flower:
71 bus, 74 westy

77_Bus_Girl
100th MEMBER!!!

Post by 77_Bus_Girl » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Velokid1 wrote:When we came back down from AK, that was my very first impression and the most striking and lasting one.... how rude people are everywhere else! Or is it that people in the B.C., Y.T. and AK are just nicer than heck? Dunno.
I think you're right, we're nicer than heck. :flower:

Glad you had a good experience, Barb...
Love your bus.

77 Westy

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:00 am

Im here Birdi looking at Mt. Shasta with out one of its lenticulars today, as in one of your avitars. Been staying in Weed, Ca. a couple of days to shake off the bad mojo I had in Roseburg, Ore. But it is all fixed and better now, included a very fast shut down of smokin motor on narrow over pass, Fire exting, emptied but no fire, just nervious. Flatbed to AAA approved garage at 6pm to wait till open. Ive been so very blessed that nothing has happened on the remote roads and I made my goal. But this looked really serious with all the oil gone and flung all over the engine and compartment. It is a very long story of dealing with a man that imediatly told me it would have to be rebuilt and would take 5-6 weeks and 35 hundred dollars---ya sure mister, I may look like I fell off the tunip truck but see here I got me a Bently and the Idiots guide. No I did not say that to him, I was at his mercy but insisted on a compression check as I had shut down the engine at first sign of trouble. All were over 135 and with in range. The culpret was the fan pully, back part. shredded and flew all around cutting one of the oil cooler hoses. Engine was removed and washed down per my request and fuel hoses repaced, although they were new but saturated with oil. He insisted I replace the oil cooler as it had been compromised, I agreed that I would like a original one put on to elemanate the hoses. He said that the cooler he sells is high quality and would be better, I said ok and got out of his and workers way to go next door to a Taco Bell with wifi (still trying to get that rot-gut food out of my system) went back to check out this high quality cooler and it was EMPI :pukeleft: :pukeleft: Now this shop had over 10 beautifull porsche's and Mercedes all being worked on --I freaked and asked why he could call an EMPI product good and he said we had no choice!!!! Well sadly I didn,t and must trust that El understands and we get home safely. After a stop in bay area to do some saiing :flower: :flower:

Just a glitch in a wonderfull road trip, thats what there all about aaaaa
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:10 am

Keep on the firing line! You'll be home and in th' routine soon enuff. Glad to hear you're safe n' sound.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Oh good, you're ok. It had been awhile so I was concerned. Cut oil line? Glad that's all it was. Phew! Sounds like an alarming mess to witness roadside. Don't blame you for calling for a tow. Yeah, watch out for those guys telling you you need a rebuild. Good job dealing with that. Enjoy the rest of your journey!
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:55 am

Elwood wrote:
A) He said that the cooler he sells is high quality
B) it was EMPI :pukeleft: :pukeleft:
C) I freaked and asked why he could call an EMPI product good
D) he said we had no choice!!!!
Here it is. The Problem With Today's World

I am relieved to hear that it was a simple problem.
Did I ever mention how much I hate all that aftermarket crap
festooned on our well-engineered VWs?
Glad you gave it back to that guy.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bottomend
Hardliest Working Man In Show Business

Post by bottomend » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:20 pm

I pity those poor unsuspecting souls who have al those nice shiny cars parked at this guys shop. He's making ALOT of money off of them.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:06 pm

Elwood and I are at home :cheers: Just spent the last hour or so hearing the music of the first concert in the San Jacinto Park. It was Blues and we loved it! This road trip was just that ~A Trip~ I have never done one of this kind and must say it was hard to move on every day. I did stay two nights at some places like Laird Hot springs but mostly stayed the course to get to Circle by the 21st. So very many sights and people to spend time with. I would not do this again on a short time frame, the country is just so vast and beautifull, you need more than a month to feel its greatness and the joy of learning the ways of the people.

The break-down I had in Oregon was a fluke. If it had happened in the desolute areas I would have used all the JB weld and ballin wire to get me going. But a shattered pulley was not at all expected. Lucky Lady :flower:

I & we ---meaning my daughter in Richmond , spent many hours tring to figure out how to post my many pictures on this forum to share. She is a pro at most things , but could not figure out how to do it. Tried Snap-fish, hp ect. and looked at Birdi's and Static's instructions on forum. Came to the conclution that my new camera has too high a resalution to reduce to a size for internet??? But I do have them to share and will be doing a story for publication of my trip and my love and dedication to VW buses

If any one wants a pic, I can email you some, just pm me your email addy.

Love to you all, B/E so very glad to be home after 5,498.6 road miles

this does not include the Alaskan water ways miles from Skagway to Bellingham.
'69 weekender ~ Elwood

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:13 pm

Good to see you and Elwood at home in one piece. Congratulations on being the only one to make the whole trip!

To post your photos you can get a free account at www.photobucket.com That's what I use to post all my pics here and when you upload them they are automatically downsized for internet posting.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:05 pm

Hi Barb! Glad you're home. Wow, what a trip! That's frustrating about the photos. But if you are able to email them, then you should be able to post them. I didn't know you could submit full sized images to photobucket like westy78 states, but I went and tried it, and sure enough it works. Ha! I've been wasting time downsizing pics. Photobucket is a really easy site to use. Try it. http://photobucket.com/

I thought maybe your pics needed conversion to jpg format, but when I uploaded an Apple format pic to photobucket, that worked too. Full sized images will upload more slowly, so be patient. Do only one or two at a time until you learn.

How was the ferry ride? Was it clear or cloudy? How long did it take?

I hope you didn't take offense to my comments about the gold mining industry. I'm totally supportive of historic towns mining their colorful history for tourist dollars, but I'm unhappy with the damage to the earth that has occured since the placer gold ran out. A guy with a pick axe and a pan is not the same as hydraulic cannons and open pit mining. My comment was mainly about the strange land forms near Dawson that had me puzzled until I realized it was the Klondike.
71 bus, 74 westy

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:24 pm

Once again I have missed meeting Barb and Elwood. I am truly saddened. I have become very sporadic in my internet checking lately. I am glad to hear that you went and returned and all is well at the other end of that journey.

Congrats to you and let us know if you get those photos up.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:45 am

Thank you for the suggestions on using Photobucket. I will give it a try to share on this forum. Some have received via email.

Birdi I completly agree with your opinion about the mining industry and took no offense. My family has a long history in that area (Klondike) of Gold mining and my late husband was successfull at using a vacume system in the rivers in N. Calif. I was pleased at how the towns and the people still mining protect the land and history at what not to do to protect the land. I so wanted to pan my own Gold Nugget to give to my Grandson for his 10th b-day that was on the 21st (Solstice) but all the Good spots are protected by working claims and many have tourist attactions to pay to pan. So~~ I bought a nice looking Yukon river nugget from a miner that pans on his own claim. Ahh the lust for the shiny metal :pirate: He did invite me to come back anytime and stay a spell on his claim :flower:
Will keep that invite in my memroirs.

And to you Gypsie, I too am sorry to not have met with you. You have a terrific sense of humor and just know we could be friends. Well here we are as friends on the IAC and thats just going have to be enough. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

B/E
'69 weekender ~ Elwood