Sunray Bugs, FL need to move or crush vw's by 10/14

Post locations of Air-Cooled VW's that need to be saved from destruction. Post pics if possible.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Sunray Bugs, FL need to move or crush vw's by 10/14

Post by VWGirl » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:24 pm

I am posting this ad for a long time family friend and VW shop.

After 22 years in the same location the county has decided that the VW graveyard that is Sunray Bugs needs to clean everything out. He has until 10/14 to move what I approximate to be about 1/4 of the cars on his lot. and another year to move it all out or put it under cover.

He has started by getting rid of all of the american cars and non-VW's... a good bunch of buses are next followed by a lot of beetles. Most of these are probably late models but there are some split window buses and trucks in there, rabbits, jettas, golfs, quantum, sirocco, type 3, the LARGEST number of type 3 ghia's and type 4's I have every seen... anywhere. You name it, he has it.

It breaks my heart that this place won't ever be what it has been my whole life. Let me emphasize that he IS NOT CLOSING SUNRAY BUGS. He just has to get rid of the cars out in the back, side, front, etc. There are well over 500 vw's there, I would bet closer to 1000 these days.

If you have time, room, whatever, please stop by and buy a vw or some parts. He said that he does not have titles for a lot of the vehicles, but would still sell them whole, keeping in mind that they have been parts vehicles for decades. I know he would rather sell the cars and keep these parts out there rather than crush them, but metal prices are high these days and buses are bring close to $500 a piece.

The cars come and go all the time and are moved around the lot so I do not know if any of those cars are still there or are the ones that he is focused on moving right now. I have more up to date pictures somewhere and will post those as soon as I find them.

Please do not contact me as these cars are not mine and I have no specific information on what is or is not available or for what price. Please contact Sunray Bugs directly at (352)521-5660 or email leroyyager@gmail.com.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: Sunray Bugs, FL need to move or crush vw's by 10/14

Post by whc03grady » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:52 pm

Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:44 pm

What a shame. It makes me sick.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:00 pm

It's cool that this old guy is keeping VW alive in the deep south:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:17 am

hambone wrote:It's cool that this old guy is keeping VW alive in the deep south:
" It was cool that this old guy was keeping VW alive in the deep south:"

This whole situation is a triumph of petty politics over what is decent and fair.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:19 am

Of course if it had all been inside a building, this would never have even been an issue.
79 VW Bus

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 am

There's a whole of reading to do on this place. If you'd like. And more to the story, I suppose.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... highlight=
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:04 am

It would be a mighty big building to house over 1000 cars. And if you want to read up on the subject I would suggest anywhere but the samba, although if you skip past all the ranting to the last page you will find some links to newspaper articles about sunray. There is more than that though. If any of you are on my Facebook all of the links are there. I will try to remember tonight to post them, too hard to link them all from my phone

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:10 am

I read it all on the Samba, it took awhile too. There was lots of finger pointing and stories based on each individual perception. I could understand each opting as far as seeing the points given. Perhaps a lot of people's posts were based on what they read and never had visited Sunray. I too have know people that hordes things thy would not part with, only to see most of it ending up in a dumpster. Maybe most VW enthusiasts would have been happier to see Sunray let people go through all the vehicles to be scrapped than have little chance to save them. Better to give it away than see it crushed. I did not read anywhere where someone offered money for something that would not be sold, only to hit the scrapper. But reading about the single cab gates being crushed made me think some things were hoarded until the end. Ah well.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

VWGirl
Getting Hooked!

Post by VWGirl » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:28 am

Well, it's not like people were in any hurry to go get stuff when i told everyone they were going to start crushing in october. I wish it would have been handled differently, but what can you do now? hope the felon goes back to jail and stays there, and hope the person who hired him does too!